PDA

View Full Version : 2 good things in Hayes Va.

Curt Harms
12-25-2005, 2:01 PM
We all know one:) There's at least one other..Whitley's Peanuts:D . A local business was handing out cans of Whitley's for Christmas. Yum! They helped fuel construction of christmas presents, one pic of which is attached. Walnut bottom & keys, Poplar sides. I went with Poplar because I wanted a white wood to contrast with the walnut. My first thought was maple, but I had a few boards of white poplar and I didn't have any maple so....

The finish is Ace brand WB poly. I tried spraying that, it didn't work out all that well. I found brushing with a foam brush worked better. The Poplar got pretty rough after applying the poly, but sanded down pretty easily.

I hope everyone is having a happy holiday with loved ones. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.

Curt

Jim Becker
12-25-2005, 2:19 PM
That's really nice, Curt. I'm fond of walnut combined with a lighter wood for contrast, myself. A lot of my work has been in poplar, too...when we moved to this property back in 1999, a new septic system had to be installed. The location of the drain field provided "a lot" of poplar. I also had a couple black walnuts taken down at the same time. All was milled by local sawyer Gene Hamilton out of Chalfont here on the property. (Pics on my web site)

Happy Holidays!

Keith Outten
12-25-2005, 4:18 PM
Curt,

I pass the Whitley's Peanuts store every day, it is just about 4 miles from my workshop where the SMC server now calls home. I have to agree with you about the peanuts, they certainly are a real treat.

Nice work on the tray, the contrast makes the project IMO.