PDA

View Full Version : A little good news.

Michael Weber
04-14-2020, 1:01 PM
Both CNN and NYT online report good success with a technique called proning(sp) for infected patients with distressed breathing and very low oxygen levels. Patients are placed on their stomach or side and this provides more usable lung capacity leading to almost immediate and astonishing improvement. Oxygen levels rise in some patients from the 40 to 50 percent levels to normal levels. They are developing special beds made for more comfort sleeping on the stomach. Of course there have not been any big test trials but results seem to be remarkable. Since this information is coming from physicians who are qualified to actually know about this and experienced it first hand I'm prone to give it some validity. I hope so for those affected.

michael langman
04-14-2020, 2:29 PM
That is good to know Michael .Thanks for posting as it may come in handy someday.

When you think about it when you inhale while lying on your back your lungs have to push your stomach out of the way to let the lungs fill with air. It takes a lot of effort to breathe.
When I lay on my side and sleep my stomach drops down towards the bed and breathing becomes easier. Can take deeper breaths.

Jim Becker
04-14-2020, 5:23 PM
Yes, I've read that with interest and it occurs to me that it could be something that could be done in an emergency situation while waiting for a first responder crew if a family member gets into serious breathing distress from the virus.

Michael Weber
04-14-2020, 5:33 PM
The special beds being used currently for this are beds made for pregnant ladies to allow a place for the stomach. I wasn't going to say, but obesity is one of the markers that can exacerbate recovery. Your comment is exactly correct according to the doctors.