PDA

View Full Version : Deodar Cedar sap problem

Mark Gibney
04-14-2020, 11:01 AM
Sap leaks from a Deodar cedar slab I have - how do I remedy this?

The slab was air dried for a couple of years, then the logger put it in a solar kiln for a couple of months. He says the temps got up into the 150° + range on some days. This was over January and February here in Southern California.

I flattened one side, then other work took my time.
I moved the slab off where it was resting (for about a month) and it left behind a smear of sap. Looks like Vaseline but is sticky.

I think I need to somehow set this sap before finishing. Is the solution more kiln drying at higher temperatures?

thanks, Mark

Richard Coers
04-14-2020, 11:06 AM
I've read as high as 185 for douglas fir. Can't say for sure about your cedar.

Erik Loza
04-14-2020, 11:54 AM
Our dining room table is made from reclaimed Longleaf pine. Was made about eight years ago, kiln dried, aged, the whole nine yards and it STILL oozes sap in spots if the sun comes in and hits it the right way. Curious to know, myself.

Erik

Andrew Hughes
04-14-2020, 11:57 AM
I used denatured alcohol and a dental pick to clean out the resin canals on Cedar of Lebanon slabs. It worked very well hopefully you don’t have too many it could see it taking a couple hours.
I bet any petroleum solvent will work.
Where did you find the Deodar?
It make great drawer box bottoms.

Good Luck

Richard Coers
04-14-2020, 12:59 PM
I used denatured alcohol and a dental pick to clean out the resin canals on Cedar of Lebanon slabs. It worked very well hopefully you don’t have too many it could see it taking a couple hours.
I bet any petroleum solvent will work.
Where did you find the Deodar?
It make great drawer box bottoms.

Good Luck
A good drawer bottom as long as it doesn't weep sap, right? LOL

Andrew Hughes
04-14-2020, 1:08 PM
It easy to over look the occasional sap flow after you smell how great the wood is.
The stuff I used was quarter sawn so maybe the canals were easier to clean out.
The wood looks pretty nice too.

Good Luck

Mark Gibney
04-15-2020, 1:07 AM
Ouch! so no definitive advice.
Even if I could buy alcohol - banned here in California - the sap seems to be throughout the wood, not just in pockets.

Sam Puhalovich
04-15-2020, 4:52 AM
Mark ... I built a cedar chest about 6 years-ago ... that after about 8 months the inside of the carcass started to 'seep'. The fix was to wipe-out the sap with dna, then spray the inside with shellac to seal-it. The problem never came-back.

Mark Gibney
04-15-2020, 2:03 PM
Thanks Sam, sounds like a plan.