PDA

View Full Version : Rings

Peter Blair
04-14-2020, 10:37 AM
I know this Forum is really not for rings but I thought you might like to see a few of my latest. Fun to make and decorate.
The first is a Yellow Cedar Burl that has been stabilized in Cactus Juice. Dye was added when it was nearly sized, the dye just barely gets into the surface. I did try to add some dye to the Cactus juice when the ring was about 2" in diamenter with a 1/2" hole but this wood is very hard to get dye to penetrate.
These two are Holly painted with spray on lacquer and then acrylic sort of like a dirty pour.
This next one may be the first ever made from Cottonwood Bark with a Alumilite core. I have been having a lot of trouble getting any penetration of Cactus juice into this material. Currently I have two test sets on my bench. In one I put the blanks in Cactus Juice under vacuum for 24 hours and they now remain in the Juice for a week. The other test I took two of the blanks that had been in the vacuum chamber and them put them under pressure for 24 hours and they now are sitting for in the Juice for a week. I have in the past tried to use Cactus Juice in a sort of more normal process with no luck on getting any penetration and it was suggested that I should try pressure and the longer duration soak. The week will be up in a few days.
This is one of the rings on my fingers in the earlier photo. Sprayed with black lacquer and then Jo Sonia Irridescent paint.
I find playing with rings a lot of fun but as yet have only given then away to friends etc. I was hoping to sell a few but no such luck.

John K Jordan
04-14-2020, 6:54 PM
I know this Forum is really not for rings but ...

I think this is the perfect forum for rings! And those are beauties. Someday I want to sign up for the Blair school of ringmaking!

Peter Blair
04-14-2020, 7:02 PM
Thanks John I'm sure as a student you would be exceeding the teacher in no time!