PDA

View Full Version : Changing cutter inserts on jointer difficulty.

Ed Gibbons
04-14-2020, 10:27 AM
I have a grizzly 8” jointer with a helical cutter head and I need to rotate a few inserts. I can’t get the screws to budge. Suggestions appreciated.

Richard Coers
04-14-2020, 11:08 AM
I've read where some put the right size bit in an cordless impact driver. When you do get them out, put a dab of antisieze on the bolt before reinstallation.

Stewart Lang
04-14-2020, 11:28 AM
I have a grizzly 8” jointer with a helical cutter head and I need to rotate a few inserts. I can’t get the screws to budge. Suggestions appreciated.

T25 bit on a cordless drill will do just fine. In severe cases a little PB blaster. Sometimes from the factory they come a little tight. When you retighten them you only need moderate hand pressure.

Alex Zeller
04-14-2020, 1:01 PM
I read in a Powermatic manual (may or may not apply to Grizzly stuff) that some of their cutter heads use a T25P not a T25 Torx bit. If you have the T25P style screws a T25 will fit but as Powermatic warns "A T25 adaptor or drivercan round out the screw head recess. Alwaysuse a T25-Plus driver or adaptor." I don't know if this is a Byrd thing, if they still use that style screw, or if the people who make Grizzly tools also use them. Just an FYI.

Bill Dufour
04-14-2020, 1:09 PM
If worst comes to worst break the carbide to relieve tension on the screw. Consider replacing the China made screws with proper USA, Japan or Europe made screws. Before breaking the carbide I would hit the screw head with a torch and oil a few times.
Bill D.

Stewart Lang
04-14-2020, 3:09 PM
I read in a Powermatic manual (may or may not apply to Grizzly stuff) that some of their cutter heads use a T25P not a T25 Torx bit. If you have the T25P style screws a T25 will fit but as Powermatic warns "A T25 adaptor or drivercan round out the screw head recess. Alwaysuse a T25-Plus driver or adaptor." I don't know if this is a Byrd thing, if they still use that style screw, or if the people who make Grizzly tools also use them. Just an FYI.

Byrd and Grizzly both use T25, as I've had both in the shop. That's odd that Powermatic says that, because I thought Powermatic just used Byrd heads to begin with?

John Lanciani
04-14-2020, 3:54 PM
Byrd and Grizzly both use T25, as I've had both in the shop. That's odd that Powermatic says that, because I thought Powermatic just used Byrd heads to begin with?

Byrd’s instructions clearly call out T25 plus; https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-26182198/documents/5a6b670f80299V7oHSw2/shelix%20knife%20replacement%20or%20rotating.pdf

Alex Zeller
04-14-2020, 6:34 PM

Byrd’s instructions clearly call out T25 plus; https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-26182198/documents/5a6b670f80299V7oHSw2/shelix%20knife%20replacement%20or%20rotating.pdf

I don't have one but I thought I would point it out. I'm not sure how easy it would be to tell the difference. I have never dealt with the "plus" style Torx heads so I don't know if the standard Torx bit will fit but is just a bit loose (my guess). If you're using the supplied tool it shouldn't be an issue. If not and it requires the T25P bit then I would invest in a couple of spare bits. You might want to get a torque screwdriver. Maybe not a Mountz but one to help put the screws back in at the correct torque.

Chris Fournier
04-14-2020, 8:24 PM
A little heat from a soldering gun wouldn't hurt...

Richard Coers
04-14-2020, 8:59 PM
A little heat from a soldering gun wouldn't hurt...
Better be one big soldering gun, that's one huge mass to heat up. I usually get tired of waiting for a gun to heat up a 12 gauge wire.

Stewart Lang
04-14-2020, 10:32 PM

Huh, I stand corrected! I've always just used regular T25 bits and never had an issue. Pretty hard to strip a Torx head with the proper size bit.

Ed Gibbons
04-15-2020, 4:35 AM
Success. Used bit that came and attached to long handled screwdriver. Thanks for help.

Jon Fletcher
04-16-2020, 11:15 PM
Sometimes that's all it takes is more torqe. If you ever do need to break an insert to remove screw wear safety glasses. Carbide can shatter and send small fragments flying like z bullet.

Thomas McCurnin
04-17-2020, 2:29 AM
What is a Torx plus driver and how does it differ from the garden variety Torx?

Robyn Horton
04-17-2020, 6:56 AM
The Torx Plus has more rounded edges on the points of the bit where the normal Torx just has points on the ends of the tips.

Scott T Smith
04-24-2020, 12:30 AM
My 25” Oliver has about a bazillion inserts on the heads, and it takes several hours to remove, clean, and reinstall them all.

What I’ve learned is 1 - an impact type of tool - either air or cordless - does a great job of breaking the screws loose w/o shearing them off. I have some air impacts that were supplied with a former machine and they work well.

Hand tools, such as used with a long handled ratchet or cheater bar, can and will shear the screw heads off. Been there - done that.

If you have a screw that won’t break loose by the cordless impact, then try using an old fashioned impact driver that you hit with a hammer. Works like a champ to loosen a stuck screw and usually won’t shear the heads.

Erik Loza
04-24-2020, 9:27 AM
Anyone ever put a tiny dab of anti-seize on the threads of their torx screws? Not enough to sling out under operation but just enough to lube the threads so you don't need an impact to crack them loose.

Erik

michael langman
04-24-2020, 10:31 AM
Eric, The angle on the flathead screw is such a fine fit that it locks onto the mating angle on the insert. The threads are not the cause of the stuck screw.
Usually it is caused by overtightening of the flathead screw.
Using a drill the same size as the thread diameter of the bolt thread will easilly remove the head of bolt with no damage, and the insert will come right off. if you strip the head of the screw.
The drill will follow the center of the bolt because the broached torx tool shape is on center of the screw.

Jim Andrew
04-24-2020, 9:36 PM
What is the proper torque for the screws? Was thinking I was told 20 inch pounds.

Warren Lake
04-24-2020, 10:51 PM
Erik it may be you are not supposed to put anti seize on stuff as it changes torque values. Maybe irrelevant in this case just blurting it out.

John Lanciani
04-25-2020, 6:30 AM
What is the proper torque for the screws? Was thinking I was told 20 inch pounds.

45 inch-lbs.

Darcy Warner
04-25-2020, 12:51 PM
45 inch-lbs.

Hermance calls for 65 inch pounds.