PDA

View Full Version : House Insurance

Russ Filtz
12-25-2005, 1:04 PM
I'm in the process of selling a house. I've already moved, but I've had relatives living in it while it sells. They may move now and I was wondering if the normal house insurance I have covers the house if it sets empty?

Cecil Arnold
12-25-2005, 2:05 PM
Best advice I can give is to talk to your insurance agent and write down his answers to make a record. As you might know, whatever he says is not necessarily binding in the policy and agents can make mistakes, so having a record of what is said is your best fall back position.

Jerry Clark
12-25-2005, 3:53 PM
I remember something like "If the house is empty for 30 days the insurance is not in force." Should look at the policy and ask lots of questions.:rolleyes:

Wolf Kiessling
12-25-2005, 4:46 PM
An empty house only requires fire insurance. The normal home owner package insures contents and a variety of other things. However, under any circumstance you should talk to your insurance agent.

Joe Pelonio
12-25-2005, 11:44 PM
I agree tak to your agent. An empty house may cost MORE because of the increased liabilty, attractive nuisance factor, and more likely that a problem will go unnoticed and therefore cost more to fix.

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 4:25 AM
My house sat empty for about three months a few years ago and I had to get different insurance for it. The "different" insurance cost a little bit less but not much less.

Russ Filtz
12-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks all! Will give a call to the agent.

Michael Perata
12-26-2005, 6:43 PM
As you might know, whatever he says is not necessarily binding in the policy and agents can make mistakes, so having a record of what is said is your best fall back position.
In California, an insurance broker is required to be licensed, and what he/she says is binding. Maybe not by the carrier but by the independent agent.

Cecil Arnold
12-26-2005, 8:14 PM
Michael, I'm sure you are right. Unfortunately, unlike the other 49 states, insurance in Texas is "different." My geocentricism caused me to overlook this small matter, and a background in investigations has left me with the somewhat cynical attitude that if it is not in writing it didn't happen.