PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying mystery atkins panel saw

phil clements
04-14-2020, 2:35 AM
Hi. While I'm stuck at home I thought I'd try to solve this mystery. I recently I bought and restored two 20" saws, see the pic. The top one is a Disston 12, I know. The bottom one is an Atkins. The etch is still partly legible (though not in the photo) and I can see enough to know it's an Atkins. Unfortunately the model number is not legible. It also came missing the medallion, which I want to replace and make sure I get one from the right era.

I've read every string here and elsewhere online and can't find anything that would identify this saw. I've reviewed several Atkins catalogs, and can't find this one. There are two identifying features: one, it has a lamb's tongue, which I found in the 1906 catalog on 54s and 55s. I the catalog photos, each has 3 screws plus the medallion -- this one only has two, perhaps because it’s only 20”. In the catalog the 54 has a beech handle. I'm pretty sure this is applewood, which is consistent with the 55, but by 1921 the 55 is no longer in the catalog. In the catalog neither saw appears to have a nib, and this saw does. In fact, I can't find any Atkins saws in the catalog that have nibs.

I know that some people cut nibs into saws, but I own a number of saws with nibs and am pretty sure this is original. (When I found it the saw looked like it had not been used in many years and was completely rusted.) The handle is also original (there are no redrilled holes), except for the horn repair. If it matters, it takes a 27/32" medallion.

Can someone help me solve my mystery? I'm at a loss and would welcome any guidance from those with more experience in such matters.

Many thanks.430293

Phil Mueller
04-14-2020, 8:30 AM
If you can actually see “atkins” on the etching, it has me stumped. The only nibs on an Atkins saw that I’m aware of was on their Sheffield branded saws. Also from the 1906 catalog, the number 63 has the nib and lambs tongue.

phil clements
04-14-2020, 2:03 PM
If you can actually see “atkins” on the etching, it has me stumped. The only nibs on an Atkins saw that I’m aware of was on their Sheffield branded saws. Also from the 1906 catalog, the number 63 has the nib and lambs tongue.

I;ll check out the #63. Thanks!

phil clements
04-14-2020, 2:16 PM
While the 63 does have the nib, it doesn't have the AAA Atkins logo that this saw has. I'm still stumped.

Jim Koepke
04-14-2020, 2:54 PM
Howdy Phil and welcome to the Creek.

Hopefully someone who knows more about Atkins saws chimes in.

Are you able to post an image of the medallion you trying to acquire?

There may be some Atkins medallions in my spare parts, not sure since it has been awhile since my last pawing through my saw parts.

jtk

phil clements
04-14-2020, 4:59 PM
Thanks for your offer.

Good news: One mystery is solved -- I put on my magnifiers (again) and oiled the blade to make the etch show better and in a sidelight I could see the "No 55" below the AAA logo. I'd been looking too low for the number before.

One mystery remains: when was this made? The 1895 catalog doesn't have a 55. The 1906 has one with no nib. I guess I'll assume this was made between those dates, but it would be nice to have confirmation.

To your question and kind offer, if I did it right the picture of the medallion should have posted somewhere here. It would need to be 27/32", not the 1" one that is more prevalent.

By the way, I took the wax off the blade (I restored it but had a pro sharpen it)...cuts like a champ. For some reason I like smaller saws and this one feels great in the hand.

Thanks!!

Jim Koepke
04-14-2020, 9:03 PM
Of the ones in my accumulation there is one 27/32" medallion with the patent date. The 1887 patent date would generally place your saw as being made before 1905.

The next thing to consider is how thick is the handle and how big is the nut diameter?

Also, mine wasn't checked, but it may be plated steel if that matters.

jtk

phil clements
04-15-2020, 2:39 AM
The handle is 7/8" thick. The indents for the screw are approximately 1/8" each.

Not sure what you mean by plated steel. They have some that are silver colored, which I understand is nickel plated onto brass. Mine appear to be brass, like the photo. Are you saying yours is steel with a brass plating? If it looks silver, then it won't work. If it looks like aged brass, then it would.

Regardless, thanks for looking. I've been keeping an eye on EBay for a while and something should turn up if yours turns out not to be right.

Thanks.

Jim Koepke
04-15-2020, 3:28 AM
Mine looks silver like it is plated with nickel or chrome. Not sure if it is brass or steel, will check later today. The back nut, with a slot for a screwdriver, is 9/16" diameter.

jtk

phil clements
04-19-2020, 11:29 PM
I found something on eBay that I think (hope) will work. Will be nice to have this done so I can take it off the list. I've been using the saw without it and can't wait to feel it more solid.