PDA

View Full Version : Removing glass shower doors

Mark Katz
12-25-2005, 12:15 PM
My wife has been asking me for 5 years to remove the glass shower doors that came with the house and put up a plain old shower curtain rod and curtain. This is going to tbe the year (week?) that I finally get around to it.

I can get the doors out and I think I know how to mechanically disassemble the frame and unscrew it from the vinyl tub surround. What I need to know is how to get all the caulk residue off with minimal damage to the surface of the surround.

This may be simple once I get the frame off, but I'd like to do it all at once, so I need to gather all the tools and supplies before I actually start removing anything.

Also, does anyone know the best way to fill the screw holes left in the vinyl once the frame is removed.

Thanks, Mark Katz

Scott Loven
12-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Are you sure it is vinyl and not fiberglass? You could use a putty knife to remove the old caulk from the tub and epoxy the holes. You can probably find some epoxt touch-up paint at a borg or a hardware store.
Scott

Ken Fitzgerald
12-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I've successfully used a razor knife..It uses single-edged razor blades in a holder that allows the edge of the razor to be used as a scraper.

Frank Chaffee
12-25-2005, 1:38 PM
Mark,
The paint department at the borg or hardware store will have a product for removing silicone caulk.

Frank

Doug Shepard
12-25-2005, 3:50 PM
I dont know this for sure, but I'd think if you took a heat gun or hair dryer to it to soften it up, it might come off a little easier.

Mark Katz
12-26-2005, 2:17 PM
Not absolutely sure it's vinyl, vs. fiberglass, but the previous homeowner used the cheapest products available throughout the house. I'm not sure I could tell the difference, but it feels like vinyl to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions - will be tackling the job ibn a few days.

Mark