PDA

View Full Version : Try square preservation

Jason Buresh
04-13-2020, 9:34 PM
I recently got this little try square. I would like to try and preserve it as best I can. There is some rust and pitting on the blade but it seems like it has been there for a long time. Any suggestions on how to keep the rust from getting worse and eating the blade. I will keep it lightly oiled but I wanted advice before I start getting abrasive with it.

steven c newman
04-13-2020, 9:40 PM
A Brass Fine Wire wheel is what I have been using....

Jason Buresh
04-13-2020, 10:08 PM
A Brass Fine Wire wheel is what I have been using....

Will this preserve any of the patina or do I have to decide between patina or rust removal.?

steven c newman
04-13-2020, 10:43 PM
Depends on what you are looking for.

Tony Zaffuto
04-14-2020, 4:57 AM
Just take a"scotch pad" to it (white) and then a coat of a paste wax (Minwax or Johnson) and use it! I would be careful with oiling, as residue may remain, potentialy spoiling your ability to finish wood you use the square on.

I would verify the square's accuracy before using.

lowell holmes
04-14-2020, 7:34 AM
I completely agree with Tony. I use Johnson wax. Galveston County is a rust haven.

Jason Buresh
04-14-2020, 8:42 AM
I will have to try and find some white scotch Brite pads. There is an automotive refinishing shop down the road from my work with a big selection of abrasives so I will stop in there after this is all over.

I checked the accuracy last night on my machinist square and I was blown away how accurate it is. It will be a good user

lowell holmes
04-15-2020, 9:18 AM
I think you can buy wet or dry sandpaper at Home Depot or Lowes. It will take care of the rust.

Jim Koepke
04-15-2020, 10:58 AM
I think you can buy wet or dry sandpaper at Home Depot or Lowes. It will take care of the rust.

They also carry the Scotch Brite pads.

jtk