PDA

View Full Version : Tormek T7 versus T8 - Fair used price?

Steve Mathews
04-13-2020, 2:35 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Tormek T7 or T8. A few used T7s have surfaced for sale recently and wonder if there are any significant differences with the T8 that would warrant the additional cost. Also, what would be a fair price for a T7 in good used condition?

Tom M King
04-13-2020, 3:14 PM
I don't remember with which model they switched to a stainless steel shaft. I have heard of bad rust problems before that switch.

Mark e Kessler
04-13-2020, 3:25 PM
I have the t7, it has the ss shaft. Can’t think of a fair price but I have thought about selling many times as its really just an expensive knife sharpener for me now as I sharpen by hand, don’t like hollow ground on my chisels and plane irons. I do have the planer knife sharpener and would sell that for sure

I don't remember with which model they switched to a stainless steel shaft. I have heard of bad rust problems before that switch.

Bob Jones 5443
04-13-2020, 3:58 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Tormek T7 or T8. A few used T7s have surfaced for sale recently and wonder if there are any significant differences with the T8 that would warrant the additional cost. Also, what would be a fair price for a T7 in good used condition?

Steve,

The upgrades on the T8 machine itself are substantial enough. The tool rests are integral to the body casting, and the water trough can be raised and lowered easily, avoiding a mess. In addition, the T8 comes with the newer square edge jig, which I think is worth buying even if you pay for the T7 –– although its cost would eat into any price differential.

Basically, though, would you want a used machine or a new one? The used T7 market doesn't give up discounts willingly.

Tormeks are obscenely expensive, and the pricing is remarkably tightly controlled by Tormek's retailers. I'm glad I have a T8, but I had to hold my breath and look the other way when I clicked "complete order." Highland Woodworking sold me one last year with free shipping and NO SALES TAX, so it beat even my local Rockler store. The pricing pain has since faded into history.

Or you could buy Mark Kessler's T7.

Andrew Hughes
04-13-2020, 4:36 PM
Has anyone tried the Blackstone on a T8.
I had the earlier 2000 with a gray stone. My plan is to get a T8 when my Trump money comes.
Im hoping the Blackstone does better on Hss.

Rod Wolfy
04-13-2020, 5:39 PM
Steve,

The upgrades on the T8 machine itself are substantial enough. The tool rests are integral to the body casting, and the water trough can be raised and lowered easily, avoiding a mess. In addition, the T8 comes with the newer square edge jig, which I think is worth buying even if you pay for the T7 –– although its cost would eat into any price differential.

Basically, though, would you want a used machine or a new one? The used T7 market doesn't give up discounts willingly.

Tormeks are obscenely expensive, and the pricing is remarkably tightly controlled by Tormek's retailers. I'm glad I have a T8, but I had to hold my breath and look the other way when I clicked "complete order." Highland Woodworking sold me one last year with free shipping and NO SALES TAX, so it beat even my local Rockler store. The pricing pain has since faded into history.

Or you could buy Mark Kessler's T7.

I was in the same quandry up until a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at the T-4 vs T-8. The straight edge tool and another item were included with the T-8 and someone pointed out that they were worth like $100 alone, which you would have to pay for in addition to the T-4. From what I recall, the T-7 has a different shaft to the grindstone, too. The T-8 uses a threaded nut, which comes off by hand and it was like $75 to get one for the T-7, plus the water trough is moveable, which helps with the mess. I opted to not buy the Tormek mat at $61, instead getting a silicone one with sides for $20, labeled off A for pets. I did get the turning base, which is really nice to flip the rig around and the hand tool kit.

I have a lot of stones and diamond plates, but I actually like the Tormek, as its easier to sharpen my chisels quickly (for me).

Tom M King
04-13-2020, 7:54 PM
I'm waiting for the next model, hoping it will have a reverse.