PDA

View Full Version : Grain Orientation When Resawing?

Tom Blank
04-13-2020, 2:16 PM
I am resawing 4/4 QSWO. The two pieces are roughly square 8" x 9". On one piece the grain runs with the 8" dimension, on the other it runs with the 9" dimension. Keeping the shorter 8" dimension vertical will put one piece through the saw with the grain vertical. Just looks strange. Is there any particular disadvantage to running the one pieces through the bandsaw with the grain oriented vertical?

Never thought about it before as all resawing I had done was on longer pieces that obviously went through the saw with the grain horizontal.

Thanks, might make no difference, i can over think things.

TB

Richard Coers
04-13-2020, 2:57 PM
You'll get long stringy curls, but it will cut fine as long as you don't have a high tooth count blade.

Tom Blank
04-14-2020, 12:36 AM
Thank you Richard.

2-3tpi variable. It worked just fine.

Charles Lent
04-14-2020, 9:26 AM
I always cut so that the grain lines run across the narrow dimension of the work piece. I do this because it's more like quarter sawn wood and it has less chance of cupping later. I have even resawn construction grade 2 X 10 and 2 X 12 stock into 2 x 2 squares, turned each piece so that the grain runs across the narrow width of the final board, and glued them back together, leaving the center piece that contained the pith out of the final glued assembly. I've done this whenever I'm trying to improve the stability and appearance of the 2 by stock to use it for finer grade work, like pine furniture. The result is better appearing grain and much more stable boards that don't cup as they age.

Charley

Robert Engel
04-14-2020, 9:45 AM
I don't think it would matter, but theoretically vertical grain orientation might lend more to blade following the grain. All depends on the wood, the blade, and the machine.