PDA

View Full Version : String line use

James Pallas
04-12-2020, 5:14 PM
There was some talk about string lines and plumb bobs a while back. Haven’t done much of late but back to it some now. Here is how I approach it. I set this piece of hard maple cup side up. I run the string with bobs hanging off the ends down the middle and then corner to corner.

What I learn; lowest point, general flatness, feel for twist, decision on how to flatten and an approximate of how thick it will end up by estimating the height of the hump on the other face. I’ll continue in another post. I also use winding sticks to aid in the evaluation.

Frederick Skelly
04-12-2020, 5:48 PM
I never thought to use a plumb line for this, Jim. Look forward to seeing the next installment of this post!
Fred

Ron Selzer
04-12-2020, 8:01 PM
Watching, not exactly certain what you are doing however wanting to learn
Ron

steven c newman
04-12-2020, 8:04 PM
One could also use the old blue chalk line...just don't "snap" a line....just let it rub across...high spots will show up as blue smudges... do the diagonals first...remember, the tighter the line, the better the results.

Do NOT use the Red Chalk line....you'll never get the red back off...DAMHIKT....

Second way with just a string line....a spacer block at each end and the same height as a third spacer block....TIGHT string line going over the blocks at each end...run the third block along the string...noting where the string is..either above the block or below the top of the spacer block....will show any high spots or dips along the line.

James Pallas
04-12-2020, 8:48 PM
One could also use the old blue chalk line...just don't "snap" a line....just let it rub across...high spots will show up as blue smudges... do the diagonals first...remember, the tighter the line, the better the results.

Do NOT use the Red Chalk line....you'll never get the red back off...DAMHIKT....

Second way with just a string line....a spacer block at each end and the same height as a third spacer block....TIGHT string line going over the blocks at each end...run the third block along the string...noting where the string is..either above the block or below the top of the spacer block....will show any high spots or dips along the line.
Steven I do use various blocks and or tongue depressors as I go. Chalk line will work but way too messy for this process. I sometimes just leave the string on the board as I knock down high spots.

Tom M King
04-13-2020, 8:06 AM
When I'm building a building, I "pull a line" all the time. I use "gauge blocks" from the same piece of Birch plywood scraps. One under each end, and one as a "feeler" gauge. Sometimes I just pull a line for things like setting rafters by the tail ends, without using the gauge blocks, with the line fastened to the ones on the extreme ends , but just leave a hair of daylight under the line when setting all the ones in between.

It's a great "tool".