PDA

View Full Version : Best color to paint vise hardware (mounted on walnut jaws)?

Bobby Newsom
04-12-2020, 1:48 PM
Interested in opinions on color to paint my Yost F9WW front vise (being used as an endvise). It comes from the factory in blue. Both the workbench encap and the vise jaw are walnut. What color would look good against the walnut?

Nathan Johnson
04-12-2020, 2:03 PM
British racing green.

Frederick Skelly
04-12-2020, 4:16 PM
I think I'd leave it alone.

Matt Day
04-12-2020, 4:19 PM
Leave it alone and use it.

Andrew Hughes
04-12-2020, 4:45 PM
Wait a minute this is a trick question. I know this one the answer is blue ..... no green.:eek:

glenn bradley
04-12-2020, 7:20 PM
Wait a minute this is a trick question. I know this one the answer is blue ..... no green.:eek:

https://youtu.be/dPOyOM7wxlE?t=131

I too would leave it alone.

Jim Becker
04-12-2020, 7:23 PM
I left my Yost vice on my dedicated guitar bench blue and kinda like it. I'm likely going to paint the one I'm moving from my old main benchtop to the new main benchtop as the current green is going to look horrible against the purpleheart... I'd probably stick with blue with your walnut, but otherwise would probably go black.

Dick Strauss
04-12-2020, 7:39 PM
hammered copper

Bobby Newsom
04-13-2020, 9:24 AM
Thanks everyone. For some reason the blue against walnut didn't seem good in my mind's eye, but maybe it would look okay.

Andrew Nemeth
04-13-2020, 10:32 AM
I just restored an older Craftsman vice that I made a walnut chop for. I used Rust-Oleum’s hammered gloss black in a rattle can. I was never too excited about it in its old (poorly painted) “craftsman red” paint job and I wasn’t sure about the hammered finish either. However, now that it’s done, it’s a solid contender for the end-vice on my new bench build (coming soon). It’s funny how colors can change your opinions about things. It’s like when your car goes faster after a car wash.

Bill Dufour
04-13-2020, 11:49 AM
Safety orange or safety yellow. I use Kabota orange from tractor supply or spray can of chevy engine orange.
Bill D.

Jim Becker
04-13-2020, 12:46 PM
Andrew, that looks really nice! I'm thinking I need to go pick up a rattle can of that stuff for my vice, since as I previously mentioned, I'm not excited about the hunter green on purpleheart...

Bill Dufour
04-13-2020, 10:04 PM
Andrew, my father was in the air corps during ww2. By the end they realized planes went faster when they were left unpainted. He finished his missons before we had air supremacy and felt d safe enough to fly planes with no camouflage during the daylight. I understand the paint on a 747 weighs over 200 pounds.
He was on Malta and the populace was amazed to see ships in the harbor in daylight. He found out that was the first ships staying in daytime for a year or more.
Bil lD