PDA

View Full Version : jig saw vs. band saw

Monte Milanuk
12-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Hello,

I've been looking at upgrading my jig saw from a Craftsman to a nice Bosch 1590 or 1591, and kind of got to wondering "at what point do you really *need* a band saw instead of a jig saw?". I mean, I know that trying to re-saw w/ a jig saw would probably not be a great idea, and obviously stock thicker than a jig saw blade can handle would probably be another case for a band saw (both non-issues for me at this stage)... but when looking thru woodworking articles/books it seems like every time there is a curve or other non-straight cut... out comes the band saw! Maybe it's just cuz all I've really ever had access to is a jig saw but it seems like it'd be easier/faster to clamp the board down to a table and go to town w/ the jig saw? Like I said, I realize there's a lot more to a band saw; just checking to make sure I'm not missing something here.

Thanks,

Monte

Jim Becker
12-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Other than "some" scrolling work, these are two very different tools. There are things you can do with one that you cannot do with the other and vice versa. For example, your jigsaw can start a cut in the middle of a board...you cannot do that with the bandsaw. You've already cited the fact that "resawing" isn't something that one would want to attempt with a jigaw, both due to blade length and stability considerations not to mention, "How would you support the workpiece?".

Steve Beadle
12-25-2005, 10:34 AM
It's kind of an apples-and-oranges issue in a way. Both tools have their place, each doing different kinds of cutting. You would gain the best understanding by actually using a bandsaw. Only a very little experience with a good bandsaw would demonstrate how it differs from a hand-held jig saw. I think that you would find the bandsaw much faster and more accurate in making the same kinds of cuts you now make with a jigsaw, but the real value is that a bandsaw is able to do cuts that a jigsaw simply cannot. You want--YOU NEED--both these tools in your arsenal!
Try making a bandsaw box with a jig saw. Better yet, DON'T! It probably wouldn't be safe! And you already mentioned re-sawing. With a bandsaw you can re-saw, make book-matched panels, make your own veneer, saw nearly-perfect circles, do intarsia projects, etc.
Think about getting Mark Duginske's video on Mastering Your Bandsaw. This will give you a good introduction to some of the capabilities of this amazing tool.
Happy New Year!

Mike Cutler
12-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Monte.
IMHO, the jigsaw is often overlooked as a viable "fine woodworking tool" to compliment the other tools in the shop. This is really too bad.
I think one of the reasons that it is overlooked, is beacuse people tend to shy away from the really good ones, like the Boschs' that you refered to, and buy a really cheap one for a single purpose that doesn't work very well. I have one of these:rolleyes:).
I also have a Milwaukee Jigsaw, a nice one. It's hard to believe the difference between the Milwaukee, and the Master Mechanic brand jigsaw that I have. Both make a blade go up and down, and after, that all similarities end.
That is a very fine Jigsaw that Bosch makes. I've used one on occasion at work, and it is a very nice tool.
My last project had shelves that were that were 10 feet long and had curves along the fronts. For this work, muscling the material thru the bandsaw wasn't an option. The jigsaw was the best tool for this job.
I think that you'll know when the time comes that you need a bandsaw. It doesn't seem as if that time is now for you.

Doug Shepard
12-25-2005, 1:21 PM
I've got a Bosch - don't remember the model nbr at the moment, but it's the VS handle grip style, not the barrel grip. It does a good job, but I wouldn't really try or expect it to do more than give me a rough cut even with the finest blade. You have to do a lot more sanding on an edge cut with a jigsaw than with a bandsaw. I've also noticed that getting a cut 90 degrees to the face isn't always very accurate with the Bosch. There are times when the jigsaw comes in real handy though - like when the work is just too big. I did see a pretty cool trick on a episode of some WW show though where they still managed to use a bandsaw on some really large pieces. They laid the work on some supports to bring it just slightly higher than the BS table, then pushed the BS around on it's mobile base as if it was a giant jig saw. Haven't tried that trick myself though.

John Piwaron
12-25-2005, 11:36 PM
The two tools are totally different. I have both. I use the jigsaw for curved work and some rough cuts a portable saw is better suited for.

The bandsaw is great for resawing as well as finer control over cutting curves.

If you're upgrading from a Sears tool, you'll notice an immediate improvement in tool performance. I upgraded to a DeWalt jigsaw a few years ago from a Craftsman and immediately wondered how I ever got along with the old one.

James Ayars
12-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Doug, I saw that show also. I think they were cutting some 10+ foot 4x6 beams.

I second the fact that there is no comparison between some jig saws. I had a $40 B&D I bought 2 2 years ago and found it was worthless. I replaced it with the Bosch 1590. Until someone experiences the difference between the two saws they wouldn't believe it.
James

John Bailey
12-26-2005, 7:32 AM
I see the difference as being the same as a circular saw and a table saw. I'm sure the new breed of jig saws do marvelous things compared to the old ones. However, like you mentioned, there are some jobs, many I would contend, that can be done with good results with a bandsaw that cannot not be done with a jig saw. Understand, I don't have a bandsaw or a good jig saw. So, take what I say with a grain of salt.

John

Jim Kountz
12-26-2005, 8:47 AM
I would have to say that getting one in lieu of the other is not the way to look at it. Instead think of how you work and the projects you build/want to build and then choose the tools that will best suit your needs. As stated above there are many things a bandsaw can do that a jigsaw cannot and vice versa. If you cut a curve every now and then a jigsaw would be fine, however if you need to resaw or cut accurate circles the bandsaw is the one. Think it over, then make an educated guess!

Mike Sanfeliz
12-30-2005, 10:06 PM
The two tools are totally different. I have both. I use the jigsaw for curved work and some rough cuts a portable saw is better suited for.

The bandsaw is great for resawing as well as finer control over cutting curves.

If you're upgrading from a Sears tool, you'll notice an immediate improvement in tool performance. I upgraded to a DeWalt jigsaw a few years ago from a Craftsman and immediately wondered how I ever got along with the old one.

Trying not to sound too naive, but aren't some Craftsman power tools rebadged Bosch & DeWalts. I know some of their base tablesaws, drills, cms, bandsaws, routers etc are Ryobi and possibly Skill. If any of this is the case, then are they total garbage or are they as good as their parent namesake (sorry, didn't know what to call them)?

On the flip side, I would have to agree with you on your comparison. Last week, I picked up a 13amp Craftsman circular saw. It was nice and would get the job done if need be, but I could not get used to the overall feel of the saw (didn't feel to balanced). Too bad, I really wanted to like it but It doesn't even hold a candle to my Porter Cable, which is my pride and joy.