PDA

View Full Version : Started On New Kitchen Table

ken hatch
04-11-2020, 10:13 PM
The new kitchen table will be a modular trestle with with two end pieces/legs and a wedged stretcher between them. I haven't decided on a slab yet but I expect it will be "blind pegged" like my workbenches so the table can be expanded by changing the stretcher and the slab.

Here is the first rough cut of the feet. BTW, the base wood is Alder. I'm still doing the "yes but" about the slab.

The table has been in the "yes dear I'll start it in a week or so" stage for several years because it needed to do a couple of impossible things. I'm not sure I have the answer but the only way to find out is to build.

Be safe out there, hear.

ken

David Eisenhauer
04-11-2020, 10:28 PM
Go Ken. A breakfast room trestle style table just happens to be my next project as well after I finish the project I am slowly working on now. I have some old timber from a wooden water tower tank saved up in the attic of my shop to look at for use as a table but I need to see if it seems to be too soft for a user table. The table will replace one of those taller-than-it-should be breakfast tables we have (why did anyone ever invent those? Does anyone think the tall chairs are really that comfortable or handy?) and I can use the couple of left over chairs that fit the main dining table for the new table until I can address the chair issue.Looking forward to your build.

Brandon Speaks
04-11-2020, 11:20 PM
Tall table is nice to keep the dogs from getting stuff off it. Doubt it would be an issue with my current mutts but I used to have a bloodhound that was incouragable.

David Eisenhauer
04-12-2020, 1:04 AM
There is that Brandon, give you that one.

Christopher Charles
04-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Ken,

Great to see you back in the shop building another Monrovian bench. Disguised as a kitchen table :) Will enjoy watching.

Best,
Chris

ken hatch
04-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Chris,

You broke the code :D. I'm pretty much a two trick pony.

ken

Stew Denton
04-12-2020, 8:48 PM
Ken,

How did you get the better half to go along with the splayed out table legs?

Regards,

Stew

scott lipscomb
04-12-2020, 10:36 PM
Just finished mine...the Moravian workbench, and your threads were definitely an influence. The tusk tenon really is a nice joint.

ken hatch
04-13-2020, 12:02 AM
Just finished mine...the Moravian workbench, and your threads were definitely an influence. The tusk tenon really is a nice joint.

Scott,

Mine will not be a lot different. Nice job.

ken

ken hatch
04-13-2020, 12:03 AM
Ken,

How did you get the better half to go along with the splayed out table legs?

Regards,

Stew

Stew,

It was tough going. BTW see Scott's table.

ken

ken hatch
04-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Go Ken. A breakfast room trestle style table just happens to be my next project as well after I finish the project I am slowly working on now. I have some old timber from a wooden water tower tank saved up in the attic of my shop to look at for use as a table but I need to see if it seems to be too soft for a user table. The table will replace one of those taller-than-it-should be breakfast tables we have (why did anyone ever invent those? Does anyone think the tall chairs are really that comfortable or handy?) and I can use the couple of left over chairs that fit the main dining table for the new table until I can address the chair issue.Looking forward to your build.

David,

I expect your tower tank wood will look better than my Alder :), but to quote Darrel R. "You dance with them that bung you". Same here with the chairs until I can build a few more. I expect none of the new chairs will "match", I'm not too good or interested in building to spec.

I've the tenons rough cut on the uprights. Next up is chopping and pairing out the mortises on the feet and fitting the two.

I plan on using a bridle joint for the upper table slab support and of course a wedged tenon on each end of the stretcher.

ken

James Pallas
04-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Looks as if you’re off to a good start. How do you like working with the alder so far?

ken hatch
04-17-2020, 11:50 AM
Looks as if you’re off to a good start. How do you like working with the alder so far?

Jim,

It is nice to work both machine and hand. It may be a little soft for the slab, not because I wouldn't like it but MsBubba has been trained for machined finishes and the first thing she does is feel for "smoothness". Any thing that dented the slab would drive her nuts. I on the other hand like to feel and even see the maker's marks. I do not like bad workmanship but too perfect bores me.

BTW, before I started the table I made a small box out of the table wood just to see how it worked and finished. The Alder passed both "tests". It works easily and looks very good with just a little oil.

ken

David Eisenhauer
04-17-2020, 12:11 PM
Nice table Scott. How thick is the stretcher and the table top? Just looking at the visual relationship between your individual pieces from here while thinking about my upcoming table project.

Joe A Faulkner
04-17-2020, 7:29 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm curious about Scott's table as well. Scott Did you go with de-barked live edge on the sides or is that an optical illusion? What species of wood did you use? More pictures, unless this is also posted in the projects thread.

ken hatch
04-17-2020, 8:55 PM
Fitting the first tenon:

Once the tenons are fitted I'll trim the top of the uprights and saw the bridle joints. This is a pretty simple build.

ken

scott lipscomb
04-17-2020, 11:07 PM
Just started a thread over in "new projects" to answer Joe and David. Thanks Ken-carry on.

David Eisenhauer
04-17-2020, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the progress photo Ken.

Phil Mueller
04-18-2020, 9:00 AM
Looking good, Ken. Also, impressive broom collection 👌

ken hatch
04-18-2020, 9:53 AM
Looking good, Ken. Also, impressive broom collection 

Phil,

Not too bad a collection, now to find someone that knows how to use one. I lost the instruction manual a few years ago.:p

ken

Jim Matthews
04-19-2020, 5:47 PM
You build longer pieces the way I was taught - resawn boards reglued to put grain in opposition.

Gary Knox Bennet would approve!

Picking up any new radio stations with your new "ticker clicker" ?

ken hatch
04-25-2020, 9:04 AM
Being under the watchful eye of MsBubba and her list of honey does the kitchen table build is going slowly but now that we have finished the roof re-coating the pace may pick up. The table uprights have been fitted to their mortises. The shoulders still need a little trimming but that will come.

Next is cutting the uprights to length and sawing the bridle joints for the table supports. BTW, the long board behind the table feet will be the stretcher, the table support boards are to the right on the drill press table.

The slab is still undecided, I guess a trip to the wood store is in the near future.

Stay safe,

ken

ken hatch
04-26-2020, 3:07 PM
So far today I've stayed out of MsBubba's line of sight so some work is being done on the table. Today I'm fitting the table cross supports to the leg uprights. I'm using a bridal joint that will be draw bored with I'm thinking three pegs. The only difficulty with bridal joints is getting all the nasty bits out of the corners and the floor flat all the way across.

ken

ken hatch
04-26-2020, 4:29 PM
First leg completed rough fit:

The other leg is also fitted with the cross piece, next up is chopping the stretcher mortise and then clean up of the legs before drawbore, pegging, and gluing the modules. Still haven't decided on the slab.

ken

James Pallas
04-26-2020, 7:59 PM
You might look at some birch Ken. It’s a bit harder than alder. The grain and color will come out close with a little picking through the stack.

Stew Denton
04-26-2020, 8:53 PM
Ken,

It looks like nice progress is being made.

Stew

David Eisenhauer
04-26-2020, 9:50 PM
Progress Ken. My shop floor looked like your bench top in the first photo and I had to drop back and sweep up the crunchies from underfoot. I had some soft soled moccasins on and they don't work when stepping on dovetail cut outs. On clearing out your bridle joint (a bridal joint is something in Las Vegas I believe), do you ever drill out the bulk of the waste between the two vertical cuts and then clean out the corners? Or just treat it like a dovetail and either chop it out or cope saw it?

ken hatch
04-26-2020, 10:54 PM
Progress Ken. My shop floor looked like your bench top in the first photo and I had to drop back and sweep up the crunchies from underfoot. I had some soft soled moccasins on and they don't work when stepping on dovetail cut outs. On clearing out your bridle joint (a bridal joint is something in Las Vegas I believe), do you ever drill out the bulk of the waste between the two vertical cuts and then clean out the corners? Or just treat it like a dovetail and either chop it out or cope saw it?

Thanks David,

Being a native Texan English isn't my long suit :p.

On ones this size I will drill first. Smaller ones I will use the turning bow saw.

Yeah, I had too many projects going at once, there are still a couple but I hope to put 'em off until I finish the table.

ken

Stew Denton
04-26-2020, 11:42 PM
Ken, you aren't alone, English, especially spelling words in English, is not my long suit either. However, I have lived here almost 30 years so I am fairly fluent in speaking West Texan, but growing up in far Western Kansas, it wasn't a big switch to learn "West Texan" after growing up speaking "Western Kansan."

Stew

ken hatch
04-27-2020, 7:03 AM
You might look at some birch Ken. It’s a bit harder than alder. The grain and color will come out close with a little picking through the stack.

James,

Birch is hard to find here in the desert, fact is I do not think I've ever seen any here in Tucson. Maybe Phoenix. MsBubba is talking about using a black milk paint on the base which would make matching woods moot. While I like milk paint I'm not sure about it this time.

ken

ken hatch
04-27-2020, 7:09 AM
Ken, you aren't alone, English, especially spelling words in English, is not my long suit either. However, I have lived here almost 30 years so I am fairly fluent in speaking West Texan, but growing up in far Western Kansas, it wasn't a big switch to learn "West Texan" after growing up speaking "Western Kansan."

Stew

Stew,

We have a household where no one is a native English speaker, I'm of course a West Texas farm boy and MsBubba is Scottish. Conversations can be interesting with many surprised looks and misunderstanding even after all these years.

ken

David Eisenhauer
04-27-2020, 11:27 AM
Me, working in Aberdeen many, many years ago - "What time is it?", They - "Ha pa" (half past) - Me (after translating ha pa) - "Half past what?"

ken hatch
05-02-2020, 10:45 PM
Me, working in Aberdeen many, many years ago - "What time is it?", They - "Ha pa" (half past) - Me (after translating ha pa) - "Half past what?"

David,

So true. I still do not think MsBubba understands what "Tuesday week" means.

ken

ken hatch
05-02-2020, 10:53 PM
The pressure to finish the kitchen table has increased, we moved the old table out to MsBubba's studio so all we have is a folding table to eat on.

I clamped the stretcher to the leg uprights to get a feel for stretcher placement.

The stretcher is about 70mm to 80mm high in this photo.

Four mortises, clean up the two bases units, glue up a slab and this sucker will be finished.

ken

David Eisenhauer
05-03-2020, 12:21 AM
Stretcher should be high enough there to avoid feet/shin placement. Looks considerably beefier than a folding table Ken. Looks like you are rounding the turn for the home stretch unless you have multiple finish coating to do without a spray apparatus. Table tops aren't too bad to do. What kind of finish?

ken hatch
05-03-2020, 4:52 AM
Stretcher should be high enough there to avoid feet/shin placement. Looks considerably beefier than a folding table Ken. Looks like you are rounding the turn for the home stretch unless you have multiple finish coating to do without a spray apparatus. Table tops aren't too bad to do. What kind of finish?

David,

Still to be decided. MsBubba wants milk paint on the base and some kind of plastic (Kinda kidding, something that will not "mark") on the slab. I may be dumb enough to not say "yes dear" and go with Tung oil on the base and there is a Waterlux finish I used on a bathroom vanity that looks like oil but does not water spot easily for the top.

I started thinking light and modern during the planing, once building the "workbench" genes kicked in and this is what you get :p.

ken

ken hatch
05-03-2020, 11:40 PM
This really isn't a test fit other than the stretcher. I just wanted to get rough idea of how the table will look once finished. BTW, I like.

Tomorrow I'll chop the final two mortises and make the associated wedges along with starting the slab glue up. Usually on large glue ups like this slab I will only glue two sticks at a time that means the slab glue up will likely take three days to finish. While the slab is being glued up I"ll clean up the base units and peg 'em. A week or so and this sucker will be finished, it is kinda nice to not have a day job.

ken

David Eisenhauer
05-04-2020, 9:10 AM
The addition of the top seems (to my eye and not the eye that is either building or paying for the table) to visually balance things out Ken. From here, it almost looked like the base was too massive in your base-only photo, but the addition of the top with it's own particular thickness has toned the excess massive out of the base in my opinion. I like it.

ken hatch
05-04-2020, 9:46 AM
The addition of the top seems (to my eye and not the eye that is either building or paying for the table) to visually balance things out Ken. From here, it almost looked like the base was too massive in your base-only photo, but the addition of the top with it's own particular thickness has toned the excess massive out of the base in my opinion. I like it.

Thanks David,

I agree. I started out thinking a sleek modern looking table but somewhere along the way over the last couple of years my esthetic has been changing to more of a outsider/vernacular look. As I have stated before, too perfect bores me. I want to see and feel the hand of the maker. In the end I wanted a vernacular* table, I think the slab will tie it together.

*For those who do not participate in the cheese eating circuit, in art speak, vernacular art or outsider art is produced by folks that have not been trained in the academy.

ken

ken hatch
05-05-2020, 11:30 AM
I'm chopping the last mortise for the kitchen table. The mortise front wall needs to be, maybe not a perfect 9 1/2 degrees but it should be pretty damn close. As with all angled mortises a chisel guide helps maintain the angle.

Here is mine. I used the wedge to set the table saw to cut the guide that way the angle doesn't matter.

In the photo is my new favorite mortise chisel for mortises that are too wide to use the 1/2" pig sticker. The Narex firmer chisel has a Hornbeam handle which will work with a metal hammer, I'm not a fan of wood mallets or soft faced hammers for mortise work. The cutter while not great is good enough.

ken

Mike Allen1010
05-06-2020, 2:24 PM
Beautiful, I love the proportions of tabletop overhang and base components – very nice!

I'm interested to see you decide with regards to finish – definitely not my favorite part of the build! I totally hear you about the necessity/benefits of getting sign off from the boss. Have you ever done any milk paint before? I've never tried it and would love to learn from your experience, if that's the way you go. Have you tested what Tung oil would look like on the Alder? My perception is it doesn't have particularly distinctive figure/grain pattern but would love to know what you think.

Glad to hear you're enjoying being at home – sure seems like you've earned it!

Thanks for your explanation of "vernacular art" a term I never heard before. I always enjoy your eclectic insights on the broader world beyond woodworking – keep it up! May persuade me to broaden my horizons beyond Mexican food and tequila.:)

Best, Mike

ken hatch
05-06-2020, 3:04 PM
Beautiful, I love the proportions of tabletop overhang and base components – very nice!

I'm interested to see you decide with regards to finish – definitely not my favorite part of the build! I totally hear you about the necessity/benefits of getting sign off from the boss. Have you ever done any milk paint before? I've never tried it and would love to learn from your experience, if that's the way you go. Have you tested what Tung oil would look like on the Alder? My perception is it doesn't have particularly distinctive figure/grain pattern but would love to know what you think.

Glad to hear you're enjoying being at home – sure seems like you've earned it!

Thanks for your explanation of "vernacular art" a term I never heard before. I always enjoy your eclectic insights on the broader world beyond woodworking – keep it up! May persuade me to broaden my horizons beyond Mexican food and tequila.:)

Best, Mike

Thanks Mike,

As I have posted, I'm a framer not a finish carpenter. I get too far pass drying it in I lose interest quickly.

I've used both the "fake" milk paint and the real stuff. The fake (General Finish) is just a kinda dull paint. Real Milk Paint is more like a pigmented stain. They both have their place. Yes I made a small box out of the Alder before starting the table to see how it worked and looked with an oil finish. I used Tung oil on the box and while not spectacular looks pretty good.

I ran the annual fund raising auction and was on the Board of an Alternate Art space for a number of years. I'm fluent in "art speak" and know the cheese eaters well.

I didn't know there was anything better than Mexican food and Tequila other than maybe a good single malt.

I made a deal with myself 50 odd years ago that if I went into this flying thing I would not let an airplane kill me. That deal stills holds, ain't no way I'm climbing into a small black box with two guys that have been flying around the world and then flew on an airline to get to Tucson for their training. Ain't going to happen. Besides I'm getting use to having time at home.

Take care and be safe, I still expect beer and tacos when this is over.

ken

Mike Allen1010
05-06-2020, 8:35 PM
Thanks Mike,

I ran the annual fund raising auction and was on the Board of an Alternate Art space for a number of years. I'm fluent in "art speak" and know the cheese eaters well.

Take care and be safe, I still expect beer and tacos when this is over.

ken

Ken, your fluency in art speak is further evidence that you're a true Renaissance man. Personally "cheese eaters" is foreign to me, although I get the reference, which makes me laugh. On a related note, an eternity ago when I was a young enlisted buck in the Navy ""cake eaters" was was broadly understood code for officers who were way more interested in wearing dress uniforms to state functions, rather than humping a ruck in the bush with the boys. Not exactly sure how that's relevant, other than the food the designated group eats is perhaps indicative of their life view?

It goes without saying Sherrie and me are absolutely counting on you and Mrs. McBubba to stay with us here in Casa Carlsbad when the opportunity presents. As an inducement, I should let you know one of my quarantine projects might be writing a guide to all the hole in the wall, Mexican food spots here in North County San Diego. I'm partial to those adjacent to gas stations or have bars over the windows, etc. IMHO, they have the best chow in town and as a bonus they're willing to put up with a fat old gringo like me.

I really don't have a lot going for me but I have to say it I do consider myself a bit of a connoisseur of Mexican food. That said, I have to say, if you're ever privileged enough to be invited to attend a quinceanera , which I believe is a traditional celebration in the Latin X culture for girls who turn 15, you should absolutely go! Some of the best parties I've ever gone to, even if I can't really remember much of it.

Cheers, Mike

ken hatch
05-06-2020, 11:01 PM
Ken, your fluency in art speak is further evidence that you're a true Renaissance man. Personally "cheese eaters" is foreign to me, although I get the reference, which makes me laugh. On a related note, an eternity ago when I was a young enlisted buck in the Navy ""cake eaters" was was broadly understood code for officers who were way more interested in wearing dress uniforms to state functions, rather than humping a ruck in the bush with the boys. Not exactly sure how that's relevant, other than the food the designated group eats is perhaps indicative of their life view?

It goes without saying Sherrie and me are absolutely counting on you and Mrs. McBubba to stay with us here in Casa Carlsbad when the opportunity presents. As an inducement, I should let you know one of my quarantine projects might be writing a guide to all the hole in the wall, Mexican food spots here in North County San Diego. I'm partial to those adjacent to gas stations or have bars over the windows, etc. IMHO, they have the best chow in town and as a bonus they're willing to put up with a fat old gringo like me.

I really don't have a lot going for me but I have to say it I do consider myself a bit of a connoisseur of Mexican food. That said, I have to say, if you're ever privileged enough to be invited to attend a quinceanera , which I believe is a traditional celebration in the Latin X culture for girls who turn 15, you should absolutely go! Some of the best parties I've ever gone to, even if I can't really remember much of it.

Cheers, Mike

Mike so true.

Almost all "Art" openings have cheese and wine. There were a group of folks that would turn up at every opening, never really look at the Art but would eat the cheese and drink the wine and then leave. Same group no matter the venue.

My studio/workshop in Houston was in the barrio. My Hispanic next door neighbors adopted me, At the time I was single and I think because as Santiago would say "Mr. Ken it is not good for a man to be without Senorita" they wanted to take care of me. I did a photo series on the neighborhood featuring the neighbors which included several Quincenairos. The "Ogden Street Project" is in the University of Texas Library permanent collection. If I can get my sh*t together and go through all the photo files the whole kit and caboodle will end up at Texas Tech.

Those were great times and wonderful memories.

BTW, I started to try and find some of the photos of Quincenairos but my CD player is tits up so no joy. Maybe later.

I want to see "A Fat Old Gringo's Guide" to Southern California Mexican food. It could be a best seller.

ken

ken hatch
05-12-2020, 8:12 AM
The back side of the slab has a hump down the middle like the joined edge was not square. There is no twist and the join lines are good. I thought about splitting the slab and re-glueing for a couple of seconds. Instead I'll just plane the hump out, "just" he says. I expect some noodle arms and a lot of moaning and groaning by the time the job is done. That's the bad, the good is I have a couple of wood stock Jacks and a ECE scrub to do the job. I've already dulled all three so it is time to take a break before sharpening.432767

ken

Phil Mueller
05-12-2020, 11:35 AM
Hold on. Nothing wrong with a strategic hump sloping down to where you normally sit. Helps limes, salt shakers, bottles and cans and the occasional Tamale to roll your way. No one will know.

Gary Focht
05-12-2020, 12:20 PM
When we moved into our house we put the table into a closed in back porch with a sloped floor. I loved it because I could orient my plate to keep juices from flowing into other foods. I think all tables should slope towards the eater a little bit, so plane the top with a slight hump also.

I’ll bet my wife won’t let me do that if I ever build a table.

ken hatch
05-12-2020, 1:37 PM
Hold on. Nothing wrong with a strategic hump sloping down to where you normally sit. Helps limes, salt shakers, bottles and cans and the occasional Tamale to roll your way. No one will know.

Phil,

Thanks for a good laugh. The good news it isn't much of a hump and everything else is straight. I just glad there is no wind.

ken

ken hatch
05-12-2020, 1:40 PM
When we moved into our house we put the table into a closed in back porch with a sloped floor. I loved it because I could orient my plate to keep juices from flowing into other foods. I think all tables should slope towards the eater a little bit, so plane the top with a slight hump also.

I’ll bet my wife won’t let me do that if I ever build a table.

Gary,

Your wife and mine must be sisters :). The first thing MsBubba will do when I set the table up in the kitchen is to run her hand over the top and mention she can feel the plane tracks while giving me the "look".

ken

ken hatch
05-18-2020, 1:59 PM
I'm beavering away on the slab. With MsBubba's help we brought base and slab to the breakfast nook to judge how short to make it. A little over 100mm came off each end and 25mm off one side. It sure looks smaller and is easier to move around. Right now I'm using one of the #8's because it is easy to pull on the off side but may switch to one of the wood stock jointers soon.

Here it is in the breakfast nook:

It is slow going both because the #8 is a beast and summer is here in the desert. That's the bad news, the good is I've retired so there is plenty of time to work early mornings.

ken

Mike Allen1010
05-18-2020, 2:56 PM
Looking great Ken - I love the look of trestle tables.

Any thought to contrasting wood for wedges? Maybe something dark?

Christopher Charles
05-18-2020, 3:41 PM
Hi Ken,

Congratulations on the retirement-long time coming.

Table looks good too!

James Pallas
05-18-2020, 6:27 PM
What happened? The legs are straight up and down. Looking good.

ken hatch
05-19-2020, 7:39 AM
Looking great Ken - I love the look of trestle tables.

Any thought to contrasting wood for wedges? Maybe something dark?

Mike,

Thanks, This will be our first. I hope it is as functional as I expect.

Good thought, the wedges that are in there came from the scrap pile and were the first hunk of wood I saw that was big enough. If I wanted to go all the way there is some Ebony (if I can find it) somewhere in the wood pile or I've nice 4/4 piece of dark Walnut that might look good. The base units still need to be cleaned up as well as finishing the slab, lots of scut work to go, but the fat lady is in the building.

ken

ken hatch
05-19-2020, 7:42 AM
Hi Ken,

Congratulations on the retirement-long time coming.

Table looks good too!

Thanks Chris,

That is what MsBubba says also. Someday I may learn to listen to her.

ken

ken hatch
05-19-2020, 7:49 AM
What happened? The legs are straight up and down. Looking good.

James,

LOL, I thought about it for a couple of seconds.

ken

Phil Mueller
05-19-2020, 9:16 AM
Looks great, Ken. Just out of curiosity, because I’m not that familiar with wedged tenon joinery, does the circled spot get a wedge as well?

ken hatch
05-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Looks great, Ken. Just out of curiosity, because I’m not that familiar with wedged tenon joinery, does the circled spot get a wedge as well?

Phil,

No, I like to make the stretcher mortise loose, could be from making benches but with it loose it is much easier to fit and take apart. I can see where some might find it offensive but I do not. Once the wedges are driven home that sucker ain't moving. BTW, when finished I will likely takes Mike's advise and replace those wedges with darker and shorter ones.

ken

ken hatch
05-31-2020, 1:11 PM
After the last post I was close to finishing the slab and cut it to final length. Wrong move shaving breath. It did some stupid wood tricks and turned into a "U". Bottom line I cut the slab into three pieces, re-jointed and re-glued the slab and now I'm in the process of fitting slab to base.

For the fitting I've moved to the back garden. Mostly because I need the room to work. It is not as convenient as working in the shop but having room to move things as needed makes up for the need to find and move tools. Now it is time for the required praise of the portable Moravian bench, you have heard it before, bottom line it makes it possible.

Working on the base:

From the other side showing the portable bench:

This part isn't difficult, just fiddly with doing a little, checking work, doing a little more, once close, moving the slab back and forth until the sucker is nailed.

One hold up is it is only 0800 and I'm already sweating like a pig and needing breaks often. We had another Monsoon type storm last night with rain and very strong gusting winds. I expect the RH is high because my sweat is not drying quickly, instead it is getting on my glasses and in my eyes, Now that I'm retired it is no big deal, take breaks and stop when the sweat is really flowing. It will be there tomorrow.

ken

ken hatch
06-01-2020, 10:25 AM
This time the fat lady is truly in the building. What is left is blind pegging the slab to the base, putting a small chamfer on the lower surface and breaking the edges. Tung oil on the base and maybe a Waterlux finish on the slab.

Side view:

From the end:

I expect by the weekend this sucker will be in the kitchen and in use.

David Eisenhauer
06-01-2020, 2:07 PM
Good on you Ken. Sliding into home base I see. Your table says it is a table for generations of families eating, drinking coffee, doing homework, crafting, etc. It looks like it will stand up to dogs going two-paws-up on the edge to check out todays menu as well as a cat's full-on assault of wandering/bathing/sleeping wherever they choose. I am still faffing about with my son's TV holder. I just finished the drawers and now need to break edges, sand where applicable and apply finish. I am ready to start on my own kitchen table after the TV stand. Thanks for sharing.

ken hatch
06-01-2020, 9:23 PM
Good on you Ken. Sliding into home base I see. Your table says it is a table for generations of families eating, drinking coffee, doing homework, crafting, etc. It looks like it will stand up to dogs going two-paws-up on the edge to check out todays menu as well as a cat's full-on assault of wandering/bathing/sleeping wherever they choose. I am still faffing about with my son's TV holder. I just finished the drawers and now need to break edges, sand where applicable and apply finish. I am ready to start on my own kitchen table after the TV stand. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks David,

Other than the slab's stupid wood tricks at the end, this has been a good build. I think you are correct, it should stand up to just about any abuse (which was my plan) and if the slab gets too trashed it will be easy to replace.

Good luck with the TV holder, you should enjoy the kitchen table build.

ken

P.S. Monsoon is early this year, the afternoons cool off a bit with the rains, it could be a good time to camp.

Mike Allen1010
06-02-2020, 10:41 AM
This time the fat lady is truly in the building. What is left is blind pegging the slab to the base, putting a small chamfer on the lower surface and breaking the edges. Tung oil on the base and maybe a Waterlux finish on the slab.

Side view:

From the end:

I expect by the weekend this sucker will be in the kitchen and in use.

Very nice Ken- proportions and details all look great! what do you think about the Alder? Will you use it again?

Cheers, Mike

ken hatch
06-03-2020, 5:04 AM
Very nice Ken- proportions and details all look great! what do you think about the Alder? Will you use it again?

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike,

You are very kind. The Alder is soft and can be marked easily but it is also very easy to work, even the knots are easy to plane with little tear out. I can see using it as a secondary wood and for things where "marking" doesn't matter. This table was meant to be "outsider", rustic, or what ever you want to call it so less than perfection on the base is not a big thing. I think the Alder with its knots and even softness was the perfect wood for the look I wanted. Now a year or two down the road I may change my mind, if I do, the way the table is constructed changing the base would be very easy and most of the expense is in the slab.

BTW, In a past life I've been around "art" shows for years, not wood working shows, but I expect they are not different. Often out of three jurors only one has even a clue. Sometimes the one with a clue can bring one of the others along but many times not. I've seen some very good work turned away and schlock let in.

ken

William Fretwell
06-03-2020, 8:02 AM
Very solid looking Ken. Have you considered putting a curve on the stretcher ends to match the foot style? It would make them look a little shorter and soften them. It keeps the square look at the top and rounded look at the bottom.

ken hatch
06-03-2020, 1:36 PM
Very solid looking Ken. Have you considered putting a curve on the stretcher ends to match the foot style? It would make them look a little shorter and soften them. It keeps the square look at the top and rounded look at the bottom.

William,

I'm in the short rows, ain't nothing going to change right now :p. But it is something to think about once the table is in use for awhile.

ken

ken hatch
06-03-2020, 1:42 PM
The first coat of finish is drying:

I'm using Waterlux Original for the slab and tung oil for the base. The Waterlux is supposed to look like Tung oil when finished, it doesn't, but it resists water stains and is easily repaired if needed. I used in on my bathroom vanity and after three or four years it still looks good.

It normally takes 3 or 4 coats and needs 24 hours to dry between coats so it will be the weekend before the fat lady breaks into song.

BTW, I decided on belts and suspenders. I added "Z" clips as well as pegs to hold the table top. Prophylactic taking care of the problem of the top coming lose when MsBubba moves it around the house, which happens often and I would hear about it each time it came loose.

I will not know for sure if I met my design goals until it is in use but I think it will. I wanted a smaller but sturdy table, one that is good for 2 couples and maybe a third in a pinch. I wanted a vernacular, outsider, rustic (whatever you want to call it), look. One that after several years of abuse still looks ok. The last goal is, if I find the table top too small or need an occasional larger table it would be easy to do with just a change of the slab and maybe the stretcher.

ken

Mike Manning
06-05-2020, 12:50 AM
Being under the watchful eye of MsBubba and her list of honey does the kitchen table build is going slowly but now that we have finished the roof re-coating the pace may pick up. The table uprights have been fitted to their mortises. The shoulders still need a little trimming but that will come.

Next is cutting the uprights to length and sawing the bridle joints for the table supports. BTW, the long board behind the table feet will be the stretcher, the table support boards are to the right on the drill press table.

The slab is still undecided, I guess a trip to the wood store is in the near future.

Stay safe,

ken

Ken,
I'm just starting to read your kitchen table build. I'd noticed earlier when you posted pics of the uprights that there appeared to be two and the tenons weren't centered which I didn't understand. Now I can see that you've used two separate pieces for each upright. Were these glued together before the final build? What's the reasoning behind doing it this way rather than using one piece of lumber for each upright? I should probably hold these kind of questions until I've read through the thread as the answer may be in the next comment. Anyway, it's looking good. As usual.

Thanks for sharing!
Mike

ken hatch
06-05-2020, 1:27 AM
Ken,
I'm just starting to ready your kitchen table build. I'd noticed earlier when you posted pics of the uprights that there appeared to be two and the tenons weren't centered which I didn't understand. Now I can see that you've used two separate pieces for each upright. Were these glued together before the final build? What's the reasoning behind doing it this way rather than using one piece of lumber for each upright? I should probably hold these kind of questions until I've read through the thread as the answer may be in the next comment. Anyway, it's looking good. As usual.

Thanks for sharing!
Mike

Mike,

You could be seeing an illusion if you are looking at the small images. Click 'em to big 'em if you have not already. The table was made of glue up 8/4 lumber, the base and stretcher were face glued and the slab edge glued. The upright and the stretcher mortises were centered.

You may have looked at the photo where I was trying to place the stretcher and in that photo I clamped the stretcher tenon to the side of the uprights trying to get a feel for stretcher placement before chopping the mortise.

The table has been moved to the kitchen, I expect I'll do a couple more coats of WaterLux to the slab just because but I could walk away tonight and be happy with it.

ken

James Pallas
06-05-2020, 2:03 PM
Table looks great. Alder can do some tricky things at times. When ripping on a table saw the loose end can sneak up behind and tap you on the shoulder. The z-clips are probably a smart move. The wood is reasonably tough, works well and looks good. I have used up several thousand bf of it. Had a house full at one point, beds, chairs , tables, entertainment center, dressers. Matches birch ply well if used combined.

Mike Manning
06-05-2020, 4:52 PM
Mike,

You could be seeing an illusion if you are looking at the small images. Click 'em to big 'em if you have not already. The table was made of glue up 8/4 lumber, the base and stretcher were face glued and the slab edge glued. The upright and the stretcher mortises were centered.

You may have looked at the photo where I was trying to place the stretcher and in that photo I clamped the stretcher tenon to the side of the uprights trying to get a feel for stretcher placement before chopping the mortise.

The table has been moved to the kitchen, I expect I'll do a couple more coats of WaterLux to the slab just because but I could walk away tonight and be happy with it.

ken

Ken,

It should have been obvious but you explained it by noting "the table was made with glue up 8/4 lumber". Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next project.

I spotted that small bench/stool from page 4 where you moved to the backyard in order to fix the slab. The one with the thru-tenons on top and the stretcher with thru tenons. I think I might like to tackle that as a near future target. Looks like it could be very handy.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

ken hatch
06-05-2020, 7:47 PM
Table looks great. Alder can do some tricky things at times. When ripping on a table saw the loose end can sneak up behind and tap you on the shoulder. The z-clips are probably a smart move. The wood is reasonably tough, works well and looks good. I have used up several thousand bf of it. Had a house full at one point, beds, chairs , tables, entertainment center, dressers. Matches birch ply well if used combined.

Thanks James,

I've not used Alder before but I'm sure there is more of it in my future. Not a bad wood for the price. Faint praise, forget price, not a bad wood at any price.

ken

ken hatch
06-05-2020, 8:09 PM
Ken,

It should have been obvious but you explained it by noting "the table was made with glue up 8/4 lumber". Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next project.

I spotted that small bench/stool from page 4 where you moved to the backyard in order to fix the slab. The one with the thru-tenons on top and the stretcher with thru tenons. I think I might like to tackle that as a near future target. Looks like it could be very handy.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The thru tenons are to keep your feet inside the legs :). You can't see it in the photo but the legs are slightly canted and I was worried that you could step on the stool outside the center of gravity and bust you rear. the thru tenons are to prevent that from happening. So far they have worked, I made that stool 6 or 7 years ago and not a butt bust yet. The stretcher tenon is with the grain vs. cross grain, you have to be careful to not split the leg with a too tight tenon. If I made another I'd make the M/T fit slightly looser but with wedged tenons.

BTW, I have several of different designs of the basic stool all over the house and they are very handy. Some of the stools have the legs dovetailed to the top with the same thru stretcher, both work.

ken

Mike Manning
06-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Thanks Mike,

The thru tenons are to keep your feet inside the legs :). You can't see it in the photo but the legs are slightly canted and I was worried that you could step on the stool outside the center of gravity and bust you rear. the thru tenons are to prevent that from happening. So far they have worked, I made that stool 6 or 7 years ago and not a butt bust yet. The stretcher tenon is with the grain vs. cross grain, you have to be careful to not split the leg with a too tight tenon. If I made another I'd make the M/T fit slightly looser but with wedged tenons.

BTW, I have several of different designs of the basic stool all over the house and they are very handy. Some of the stools have the legs dovetailed to the top with the same thru stretcher, both work.

ken

Ken,

It is clearly visible that the width of the base of the legs exceeds the width of the top so I think you're saying the legs are also splayed out a bit to also prevent tipping the stool from the end. Is that correct? Is there a particular angle you used for splaying the legs if I'm reading your previous comment correctly?

I hope the monsoon continues and it's a nice wet summer for you guys. Tucson can always use the rain. :0)

Mike

PS Hopefully, just one last question. Are the through tenons proud of the top or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

ken hatch
06-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Ken,

It is clearly visible that the width of the base of the legs exceeds the width of the top so I think you're saying the legs are also splayed out a bit to also prevent tipping the stool from the end. Is that correct? Is there a particular angle you used for splaying the legs if I'm reading your previous comment correctly?

I hope the monsoon continues and it's a nice wet summer for you guys. Tucson can always use the rain. :0)

Mike

PS Hopefully, just one last question. Are the through tenons proud of the top or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Mike,

That is correct. No particular angle, I just eye balled it. The tenons on the table stretcher are short of the top's edge by several inches, I have not measured but it could be as much as 6".

ken