PDA

View Full Version : lathe decision help

joe zarnitz
04-11-2020, 8:35 PM
laguna 18/36 or nova galaxy -----research is confusing as I read problems with both--also with customer service---tks,joe

John Keeton
04-11-2020, 9:48 PM
Joe, you didn’t research enough - EVERY lathe will have some reported issues, but I would venture that most all of the major brands produce a good product. You should make your decision on the features that are important to you. There are literally dozens of threads on SMC just like this one. And, while the responses may be helpful in some way, they all come down to folks that spent a good chunk of money on a lathe are generally happy with it. Yes, there will be a few that aren’t, but you will find that with any of them.

ChrisA Edwards
04-11-2020, 10:19 PM
I just went through the same research about 4 months ago. After lots of reading, YouTube videos and other reviews, I decided on the Laguna 18/36, but when it came time to spend money, I opted for the Laguna 24/36.

I haven't had much chance to use it yet, but the few times I have, I absolutely love it.

Steve Eure
04-12-2020, 7:06 AM
I opted for the Laguna about 2 years ago after a lot of research. I wanted a PM 3520, but the cash flow said no go. I have been very happy with this machine. When I called CS with a question, they immediately answered it and even went as far as to call me back the next day to see if the answer was sufficient. I don't have any knowledge or have never used the Nova so I cannot help with that machine. I will say that after using the Laguna, I am pleased with it. It has handled everything I've thrown at it.