View Full Version : bench top mortiser

Bill Carey
04-11-2020, 4:22 PM
One of the best buys I've made for my small shop was the Baileigh mortiser. Had it for a year now and it has been great. Cast iron xy table is great to work on. I noticed it was on sale for 355 at the moment so I thought I would post for anyone looking. I've used it for 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" mortises and the power has never bottomed out. It appears to be nearly identical to the Rikon which can be had for 449.

430079 430080

Andrew Hughes
04-11-2020, 4:59 PM
Wow that’s a lot of mortises Bill. Looks like someone is having fun :)

Bill Carey
04-11-2020, 7:43 PM
Wow that’s a lot of mortises Bill. Looks like someone is having fun :)

90 mortises this morning. 3 hours of running the Baileigh straight and it never faltered. Wonderful machine. I've never done a "production" of anything so I thought I would try it. Main lesson learned: you better be dam sure you are done with a particular setup before you change it. :eek:

And yes - loads of fun.

Ronald Blue
04-11-2020, 8:43 PM
Main lesson learned: you better be dam sure you are done with a particular setup before you change it. :eek:

Why would you ever say something like that Bill? Almost sounds like you know from experience.....:D

Jay Aubuchon
04-11-2020, 9:09 PM
Baileigh is offering an additional 15% off that price right now. However, shipping to me in Pennsylvania would be $200, for a total of $532.30, including tax.

I could get the Rikon delivered for a total of $466.40.

Bill Carey
04-11-2020, 9:51 PM
Baileigh is offering an additional 15% off that price right now. However, shipping to me in Pennsylvania would be $200, for a total of $532.30, including tax.

I could get the Rikon delivered for a total of $466.40.

200 for shipping is ridiculous. If you compare the specs they look the same. And the xy system works great. My one complaint is at the handle is not reversible

Alex Zeller
04-11-2020, 10:52 PM
I never understood that about Baileigh. Their freight charges aren't that much more than Grizzly but they have a cut off at 100lbs. Anything less gets shipped regular FedEx. In the case of this mortiser, being 88 pounds they charge more than what Grizzly charges to freight ship a 900 lb shaper. Every time I've looked to buy something like this from them the shipping charges turn me away. Rikon routinely has 10% off sales so you can get their mortiser for $400. What's worse is that if you order the Baileigh mortiser from Summit Racing they only charge $10 for shipping (vs Baileigh's FedEx Quote of $225) but no 15% off. I've been looking into getting one and I like the X,Y table models but don't want a floor model. So this one has been on my radar.

ChrisA Edwards
04-11-2020, 11:53 PM
I had a lot of mortises to do, recently, just like Bill.

Once you get set up in production mode, the process is just so simple, precise and rewarding.

I bought mine a couple of years ago and went backward and towards on either a bench top model or floor standing unit. I opted for a floor standing on a mobile base. That way, when not in use, I can roll it way to a nook in my garage. I figured for a bench top model, I'd have to pretty much dedicate a certain spot which would also require me to make an area around it with clearance for long work pieces both sides, I just don't have room to do this. Plus the footprint of the bench models isn't that much less that the floor unit.

Last Sunday, I cut about 80 mortises for my current Planation Shutter project.

Working with long pieces, most 6' plus in length, I just rolled the mortiser out into the middle of my shop and went at it for about 3 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIJWNBAUtyk

Ronald Blue
04-12-2020, 9:46 AM
Thank you for sharing that excellent video Chris. I knew what the function and purpose of the mortiser was but have never saw one in use or used one. I'm impressed with how well it works. Obviously a sharp bit is key to it working so well but it's still quite impressive. Your video was very well done. Three different views make it crystal clear the process involved. I like the Loc-line vacuum line too. I didn't realize they made it in that size but it's a great option for adjustable point of use dust collection. Thanks again for the educational video.

Bill Carey
04-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Main lesson learned: you better be dam sure you are done with a particular setup before you change it. :eek:

Why would you ever say something like that Bill? Almost sounds like you know from experience.....:D

you would think that a single class would suffice to teach me this lesson, but sadly I periodically have to repeat that class. :(

Ronald Blue
04-12-2020, 10:33 AM
you would think that a single class would suffice to teach me this lesson, but sadly I periodically have to repeat that class. :(

You typically realize it after you have changed everything. Not always but usually.....

David Utterback
04-12-2020, 10:35 AM
One of the best buys I've made for my small shop was the Baileigh mortiser. Had it for a year now and it has been great. Cast iron xy table is great to work on. I noticed it was on sale for 355 at the moment so I thought I would post for anyone looking. I've used it for 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" mortises and the power has never bottomed out. It appears to be nearly identical to the Rikon which can be had for 449.

430079 430080

Cool tool. I have an old Delta bench top model with crude fitting fence and hold down. Gets the job done but fussy. Sharpening the bits helped a lot with the cut quality (as it does with all tools).

Andy D Jones
04-12-2020, 8:46 PM
Chris,

Awesome video! I am also looking at that same PM tilt-table mortiser, and the Loc-Line suction setup. Is that hooked up to a dust collector, or to a shop-vac?

- Andy -- Arlington TX

ChrisA Edwards
04-12-2020, 9:16 PM
That's going to my dust collector via a 2.5" flex hose.I made a little wooden bracket to hold the Loc-Line in place. It just clamps on the rear of the machine with 3 strong magnets.

Thomas Wilson
04-12-2020, 10:14 PM
I am planning for a lot of mortises in a handrail for staircase and balcony. I have been thinking of getting a Festool domino. This thread prompted my to compare price of the Powermatic tilt table mortiser and the Festool. At Woodcraft, the Powermatic is currently $1147.49. The Festool Df 700 is $1400. The DF 500 is $960. My desire for the Festool went suddenly to 0.

The actual project will likely be done very adequately with a relatively new Delta drill press equipped with a tilting table and a Delta mortise attachment that I have had for 40 years. $0.