PDA

View Full Version : What tools did you receive as gifts? (with pictures please)

Frank Pellow
12-25-2005, 8:50 AM
Last year I started a thread wth the same title (see: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15112) and it proved to be very popular with 78 responses and over 5000 viewers. Lets see how we do this year.

I have not opened any presents yet but I certainly expect to get some and, when I do, I willk make another post to this thread.

Kent Cori
12-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Santa dropped off a new Powermatic 3520A a few days early this year. It is a terrific Christmas gift although I heard from Santa that the reindeer almost went out on strike becuase of the weight they had to haul. :eek:

Jim Becker
12-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Well...not exactly a tool, but I have a new insulated Woolrich coat-jacket under the tree. (I did buy myself the OneWay grinding wheel balancing kit, a heavy straight scraper for box work and a small, bent hollowing tool just prior to the holiday if you want to count them... ;) )

Russ Massery
12-25-2005, 10:55 AM
1. A personalized branding iron
2. I nice straight edge/Ruler.

Jim, Jim of all people no pics!
Kent, Wow! you must have been really good.

Ed Lang
12-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Santa outdid herself this year!

Universal Laser System M-300 50W.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/46872867-M.jpg

AND

ShopBot PRTAlpha96 CNC Router!

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/40580392-M.jpg

I think I will keep her another 23 years at least!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Mike Cutler
12-25-2005, 11:11 AM
I have a new Hurricane shirt from LL Bean, a shopping spree at the local Woodcraft, soon to come:D, and a lot of good memories from this year.

Finished three projects for my wife.

The chronic back pain I have been suffering with is finally gone after two years of rehab. Now I can try to race bicycles again.:D :D

Met fellow Creekers, Andy Hoyt, Lou Sansone, and Syd Lorandeau. Big bonus for the year.

Helped LOML rehab her horse. An off the track thoroughbred,OTTB, from Suffolk Downs Racetrack. He has come down off the track nicely, and is doing fine. Very good ground manners, and a sweet, gentle disposition.

Spent Thanksgiving in Boston. Watched the Flyers beat the Bruins at the Garden. Did a little Irish Pub Hopping , and generally had a great weekend.

Became part of an "old hippie commune effort" by John Bailey to keep Sawmill Creek going strong. Thank you for that John.

It's been a good year for memories. I hope it has been for everyone else also.

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Well Santa was good this year here. Santa brought a new spinny thing (lathe) a few days earlier and some tools for it today. A set of cutting tools and pen press.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-25-2005, 12:37 PM
No tools per se.....but new furnace for my shop (pictures posted earlier), The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction by Andy Rae, Great Wood Finishes by Jeff Jewitt.

Mark Duksta
12-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Here's what Santa brought. Another good Christmas.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Ed...you HIT THE JACKPOT! Wow...that's something else! I am saving the tool requests for my birthday, I asked for Concert DVD's and got a ton of 'em as well as a few gift cards to Wally World! I did get four Cable Cuffs though (for my hoses and cords) on the job. Great gift!

http://www.bowtiemadness.com/cablecuff.jpg

Howard Barlow
12-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Well, I woke up in Roma. No tools, but more pics than the internet can carry. Man, this is a place to see. 10,000 pics from one spot, any spot. Buon Natale!

Frank Pellow
12-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Here are my woodworking-related presents under the tree. They are all very practical and very much appreciated. :)

Starting at 12 o'clock and going clockwise:

-Paint brush holder
-Powdered hand cleaner\
-10 2 inch Veritas toolbox trays
-Veristas sliding square (metric, of course :) )
-A very good carpenerer's square
-Veritas MkII honing guide
-ear plugs
-lots of clamps

Frank Pellow
12-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Santa outdid herself this year!

Boy, did she ever! Maybe you can send your Santa my way next year. :D

Peter Lyon
12-25-2005, 1:17 PM
... 12 K-bodies (combination of 12's, 24's, and 40's), a veritas low angle block plane, a new carhart jacket and ..... a Vega 2600 bowl lathe! :D

Not too shabby if I say so myself!

(and since I have no idea how to post pics, you're just going to have to take my word for it:o )

Jim Becker
12-25-2005, 1:19 PM
Jim, Jim of all people no pics!
Well...I didn't take any of "my" stuff, just the girls' hauls (shown in a thread in the OT forum)...so I'll just have to take my lumps this time around. I ordered a few do-dads from Rockler this morning and I'll post pictures when that box arrives plus the other stuff. I'm all pictured- and videoed-out for the day!

a Vega 2600 bowl lathe!

Nothing too shabby about that! Santa was very good to you! (How to post pictures has been detailed in a number of threads in both the OT and Support Forums. You can use the Search {and advanced search} features to find them)

Jim Hager
12-25-2005, 1:37 PM
I've been wanting one of these now for quite some time. SWMBO got a new Dyson vacuum cleaner and encouraged me to go ahead and get this for myself. It is not here yet but is expected for delivery by this coming Friday. Nearly on time.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BKICXG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Dave Richards
12-25-2005, 2:20 PM
Ah, some nice Christmas gifts were delivered by Santa. It looks like Santa skipped the Richards' residence this year. That's just fine though. I don't have room for anymore tools anyway. :D

I was hoping for a few lumps of coal in my stocking, though. That would have been a welcome gift considering the price of LP.

Bart Leetch
12-25-2005, 3:01 PM
The LOML told me to order what I wanted.........WOW

But then she knew I didn't want a lot.

I ordered a Delta Splitter. It hasn't arrived yet. Here is a picture of what it will look like.

Gary Curtis
12-25-2005, 3:44 PM
Got a Festool Plunge saw.

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=561174&ID=1

Gary Curtis

Kevin Beck
12-25-2005, 3:51 PM
Not exactly a power tool and I can't take a picture of it but the LOML did register me for a class with David Marks "Finishing for the Craftsman" in February at the local Woodcraft (Orlando). And my Ipod Nano is pretty nice too :p

Kevin

Jerry Clark
12-25-2005, 4:02 PM
I got a couple gift cards and can shop next week and get stuff I really want-- and then some!:D

Barry O'Mahony
12-25-2005, 4:07 PM
Not a tool but WW related: LOML got me a David J. Marks T-shirt. 'has a picutre of one of his more elaborate designs on the back.

Andy London
12-25-2005, 4:12 PM
A new General 350 cabinetsaw from the office, Forrest WW blade, M J Splitter, LV outfeed stand, new anti vibration gloves, zero clearance insert, japanese saw, rosewood square, funny turning short, LV sweaters.

Tyler Howell
12-25-2005, 4:19 PM
Same as last year!!:o
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14123&d=1104094779

Roger Barga
12-25-2005, 4:35 PM
Santa (loml) was good to me this year...

i) delta unisaw w/ biesmeyer fence and mobile base
ii) jessem sliding table for delta unisaw
iii) porter cable compressor with a brad and finish nailer

Sorry no pictures yet but I will post one after I assemble everything. The most enjoyable gift was watching our two girls, ages two and almost one, unwrap their gifts and spend more time with the wrapping paper and bows than their gifts - that put a smile on my face.

roger

Jim Becker
12-25-2005, 4:54 PM
Same as last year!!

Hmm...briquettes. Interesting...

Jim Fancher
12-25-2005, 4:55 PM
Two of my favorite gifts this year weren't even WW related ... a new grill and two tickets to Disturbed. Woohoo!

WW related gifts ... a Cold Heat soldering gun, Makita 6935 kit, and Dewalt drill accessory kit.

I treated myself to a few Christmas presents as well. A K3 master kit, a Trend T3 router, an Amana 6" dado set, a used Delta TP400LS and a PC 4212 that I haven't picked up from Rockler yet. $101 out the door!

Jim Fancher
12-25-2005, 5:10 PM
A new General 350 cabinetsaw from the office, Forrest WW blade, M J Splitter, LV outfeed stand, new anti vibration gloves, zero clearance insert, japanese saw, rosewood square, funny turning short, LV sweaters.

Now I really like that shirt! I've never even had the chance to play on a lathe. I hope to try it sometime down the road.

Gary Herrmann
12-25-2005, 5:22 PM
Same as last year!!:o
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14123&d=1104094779

Hey Tyler, that's pretty generous of you letting Santa's reindeer take a potty break at your house.

Vaughn McMillan
12-25-2005, 6:31 PM
Although Santa left no tools last night, tool-wise he's recently brought a new 14" Shop Fox bandsaw with riser kit, a 1/2" Woodslicer blade and a 3/4" Olson blade to go with it, a set of 4 Bessy K-Body clamps, a low-end 18 ga brad nailer/stapler, another low-end 23 ga pinner, and assorted other little things like metric allen wrenches, digital calipers, and a magnetic task light for the new bandsaw. He still hasn't decided if any of the Christmas money I got from the future MIL will go towards more tools, or if it'll just replenish Santa's bank account. ;)

- Vaughn

scott spencer
12-25-2005, 6:48 PM
Gotta laser trac level this year...it'll come in handy to verify how far off I've been on past projects! :D

Tom Hamilton
12-25-2005, 7:12 PM
End of Christmas Day Greetings to All:

Santa brought a gift card to Rockler and a new tape measure, with a built in tape recorder. The idea is to be able to record measurements without a pencil. Sounds great on a ladder but not sure about around the shop. We'll see if is an idea without a market or the next "sliced bread". :confused:

Merry Merry to all, Tom :D

Corey Hallagan
12-25-2005, 7:34 PM
Well, since my wife and I have remodeled the living room and just had a bunch of new furniture and a new pc bought, we decided to just concentrate on the kids this year, however, i did splurge for my first lathe, a PSI Turncrafters Pro this week and it should arrive in a few!

Corey

Chris Barton
12-25-2005, 7:39 PM
No power tools or neander stuff but, I did get one of these...http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/82/71/03/05/0082710305977_215X215.jpg (javascript:photo_opener('http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/82/71/03/05/0082710305977_500X500.jpg&product_id=3942781','/catalog/detail.gsp','1','false');)

Paul Canaris
12-25-2005, 7:46 PM
Well, I got a dust collector filter kit from Wynn Environmental. There are two of these canisters that fit where the upper two of four bags went, and plastic bags replace the lower two. I had to modify my collector as the deflector plates were in the wrong place; I had to break about 20 tack welds on each donut and re-glue them back in correct orientation. Still working on that.

A lot of K-Body clamps allready seen in use.

The next gift has nothing to do with woodworking, other than after two or three shots of espresso I can work for hours straight, so I guess that makes it an important tool.http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/114.gif

And last but not least, what would Christmas be without humiliating the household pet?:D

More pictures to follow....

Paul Canaris
12-25-2005, 7:53 PM
I just had to make a tamper out of spalted maple for the espresso machine...

Pete Harbin
12-25-2005, 8:00 PM
Only a couple of tools this year...a Jet Pen Lathe (from 5 week old son, Ty. When did he get a job?) and a LN Low Angle Block Plane (from Dad.)
My big score was from LOML...EIGHT new Russian hockey jerseys. You can see the tools placed among the rainbow of colors. We have a contact that can order the same jerseys that the Russian teams use from Lutch (Russian manufacturer) when they do a run of the team's jerseys. As long as we're willing to wait until the team places their orders, they'll name and number the jerseys with a current rostered player's name and number for no extra cost. Russian jerseys are dye sublimated (no patch-work) so once a player's jersey is set up to make, they can run as many as they need. The two jerseys numbered 9 actually have my last name converted to Cyrillic, and are re-runs of now defuct teams.
Our office exercises "casual Fridays" so these should keep folks on their toes :D

Of course the best gift of all was the arrival of our first child, Ty, last month...I'm still giddy! :p

Have a wonderful time with your families folks! Merry Christmas!

Pete, Jill and Ty

John Cavanaugh
12-25-2005, 9:04 PM
Ed, I dont know if we are voting on who got the best haul, but yours was incredibly impressive...

I got several things this year from Santa & others this year. I must have been very good this year!!!

Grizzly 0572 Air Cleaner
Milwaukee 6519 Sawzall & blades
Makita 14.4V Impact Driver & Drill Kit
Motofloor (Like Racedeck) tile for my garage (Bonus from work paid for this)

--
John Cavanaugh

Rob Millard
12-25-2005, 10:25 PM
In the woodworking category, I got only one actual tool, a cutting gauge ( although I think a No. 49 Pattern Maker's Rasp is on the way). I really have enough tools, but I could never have enough books on period furniture.
Rob Millard

Ed Lang
12-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Folks, I'll have to say that I got the best wife 23 years ago:D

Not only did she play a BIG part in getting this equipment, she works in the shop with me! And we don't even fight over tools.... She has her bench and I have mine. I know to stay away from hers and let her use mine when she wants to;) .

Great women, wife, mother, cook, partner, coworker, friend.... the list just goes on and on.

Merry Christmas all.

James Ayars
12-26-2005, 12:00 AM
No power tools, but I did get a set of Craftsman offset ratcheting double box end wrenches, a set of broken bolt removers, a 24" clamp and a 22" antique wooden plane, plus another tool bag.

On the other side, I gave one palm sander, 2 sliding bevels, three 4" pry bars and two combination squares to some of my employees.

I gave my dad a palm sander and a Bosch 3/4" straight router bit.
James

Randy Meijer
12-26-2005, 12:02 AM
I got a nice 16 speed 14" drill press.....pre-tested by Santa or one of his helpers.....and a 6-1 screwdriver with a rosewood handle and polished brass fittings. Don't know that the screws will notice the difference; but I will sure look sharp when driving those little suckers home!!:D :D

Steve Wargo
12-26-2005, 12:55 AM
Man with all those Saws, and ShopBot, it really makes my Fuji Sprayer look like a booger.

troy havard
12-26-2005, 1:01 AM
damn I'll never be that good guys lathes and shop bots. you guys must have come up with world peace or something truely great this year. i did manage some clamps and a drill press. if you could let me in on the secret to world peace i would love to see a shop bot in my stocking instead of the lump of coal I recieved this year.

Corvin Alstot
12-26-2005, 1:02 AM
We got a new shop assistant. So far he is chewing sticks, branches, rags, guitar cables, and his toys. I am hoping I can switch him to cutting dovetails. We will see, with a name like Moose I am hoping for the best. I will probably prohibit him from using power tools, but he should make a good companion.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2005, 1:40 AM
No pics, but I got a resaw blade, ceramic guide blocks, and high tension spring for my band saw and the Veritas medium shoulder plane.

Jim Benante
12-26-2005, 2:26 AM
Nice Italian Greyhounds Corvin. We have two and one is also Moose.

No tools for Christmas, but I bought enough during the year plus I'm new to WW and the wife doesn't have a feel for what I might need yet. I did get a nice Moonstone water proof breathable jacket and a mug with a picture of my 5 month old boy on it.

Gilbert Vega
12-26-2005, 4:44 AM
Here's what I got:
PC 7518 router
Jessem Mast-R-Lift
Whiteside 3 piece door panel kit
Craftman 12 piece damaged nut removal kit
70 bft of milled Jarrah lumber

Larry Browning
12-26-2005, 7:24 AM
Well I got a PC 4212 dovetail jig.:D Sorry no pics due to LOML not letting me use the camera. (too many grand baby pictures to take). However, I have not been able to try it out due to the router sub base for the template guides being back ordered at Amazon:(. I have never even seen a dovtail jig being used before, let alone owning one, so I figure I have a pretty long learning curve before I cut a dovetail joint that actually goes into a real project. anyway, I can't wait for the sub base to get here! Hopefully I will get my hands on the camera soon.

Bernhard Kühnen
12-26-2005, 7:27 AM
Hello,

I will take this as opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Bernhard and I am located close to Hamburg in Germany.
So far I have been only reading in this nice and valuable forum.

Got the scrub plane and the No 4 of LN and I like them....:D

Best regards
Bernhardhttp://hw.roesch.de/Bilder/B398.jpg

Thomas Prondzinski
12-26-2005, 8:02 AM
No wwking tools here,LOML gave me 500 to spend but no tools, my son and fiance go me personalized plates for my truck"PNK FLD",car dock kit for Ipod,watch,pink floyd jammies,

Tom

John Bailey
12-26-2005, 8:02 AM
I made a great haul this year. These are all things I needed.

All are from Lee Valley, a good set of general use bevel edge chisels, an adjustable bevel gauge and a scraping plane.

Good thread Frank, I love seeing all this stuff.

John

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 8:41 AM
Hello,

I will take this as opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Bernhard and I am located close to Hamburg in Germany.
So far I have been only reading in this nice and valuable forum.

Got the scrub plane and the No 4 of LN and I like them....:D

Best regards
Bernhard

WELCOME TO SAW MILL CREEK BERNHARD! You certainly have a nice collection of planes and other hand tools. Please tell us a little more about yourself, your shop, and the types of woodworking projects that you enjoy.

John Bailey
12-26-2005, 9:09 AM
Welcome Bernhard,

You're gonna' like it here at the "Creek." I second the idea of seeing your shop.

John

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 9:24 AM
Today is Boxing Day in Canada (and England, of course), and it gives us an opportunity to extend Christmas with friends and family that could not be squeezed in the day before. I recieved two additional woodworking items, this time books rather than tools.

I have still not decided whether I will build/buy a traditional woodworking bench and I expect that the book by Scott Landis will help me to make that decision.

I have only fooled around a bit with the pocket hole jig that I received last Christmas; now with the help of the book, I will undertake at least two projects that use the jig extensively.

Bill Simmeth
12-26-2005, 9:28 AM
Santa brought me one of these to aid in my ongoing shop reorganization efforts...

I also found one of these nifty Klein Tools for "apres" woodworking :D ...

Boyd Gathwright
12-26-2005, 9:31 AM
.... My wife gave me a Lee Vally apron for Christmas. Very nice, rugged with pocket space and it's washable too. She wanted to get me one last year for Christmas but for twice the money she felt the value was not there. Can't blame her.
....Now all those chips won't go into my pockets for her to have to clean out at wash time :).

Boyd

Jim Dunn
12-26-2005, 9:36 AM
Welcome Bernhard:) Sure is a nice set of planes you have there.

Got gift cards from Rockler and Woodcraft, so when I make my haul I'll post pictures.

Keith Starosta
12-26-2005, 9:37 AM
It was a great Christmas, as usual!! On the woodworking side, I got two books, one by James Krenov and one from Tage Fried; I got two sets of 3/4" Pony bar clamp fixtures, and a couple of small hand tools that I wanted. But, my best gift was by far the Sirius satellite radio that my wife got me. She bought me the receiver, the home docking station, the mobile car docking station, and the boombox unti!! :D She's a peach!!

I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday!

- Keith

Ron Fritz
12-26-2005, 9:59 AM
Several weeks ago my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, so I pulled up Amazon.com and pointed to a PC 4212 Dovetail Jig and a PC 690LRVS Router. She said that’s fine dear, why don’t you order it and I’ll wrap it up for you for Christmas. Cool! The only problem was that the two boxes sat in a corner of our home office for 2 weeks while I had to look at a big sign that said “do not open til Christmas”. Now I’ve got the entire week to see if I can master dovetail making.
Ron

Gary Curtis
12-26-2005, 10:30 AM
This really is an inventory gloat. A database of all the tools I've acquired since January in preparation for my newly constructed shop. As soon as I build the Veritas-plans Tool Cabinet, I'll post a photograph of all this stuff.

Items with an asterisk are powered tools. My real treasures are 6 Stanley planes dating from before WW-I. And 5 sets of different chisels dating from before WW-II when Sheffield Steel was at its finest.

Gary Curtis

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Update....I just got off line with Taunton Press....with the money I received for Christmas I just ordered Tage Frid's books 1, 2 and 3 and Rogowski's book on joinery!

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 12:12 PM
This really is an inventory gloat. A database of all the tools I've acquired since January in preparation for my newly constructed shop. As soon as I build the Veritas-plans Tool Cabinet, I'll post a photograph of all this stuff.

Items with an asterisk are powered tools. My real treasures are 6 Stanley planes dating from before WW-I. And 5 sets of different chisels dating from before WW-II when Sheffield Steel was at its finest.

Gary Curtis
That is an amazing inventory to acquire in only one year Gary. Congratulations!

Gary Curtis
12-26-2005, 2:13 PM
How else could I occupy my time while waiting for my house to be constructed?
I read 100 wood magazines and 2 dozen books to learn about this stuff. Here's what I gleaned from all this:

a) woodworking community is a wonderful place, albeit with strong opinions at times.
b) eBay prices are intimately connected with President Ronald Reagan's Star Wars Missile Defence system. Neither are based on reality!

c) the Old Galoot network, with local swap meets across North America, is the best source of 1)information, 2)tools in prime condition and at fair prices

d) there is no Free Lunch.

e) if you thought you knew the English language, try woodworking terms. In England vs. N. America.

I want to modify my emphasis of favorite items in my inventory. I would add to it, winding sticks in Ebony and ivory handmade in York, England, and a Rosewood bowsaw handmade by a reknowned cabinet maker from Connecticut.

Everything is currently in crates and boxes awaiting the moving truck, so no photos are possible.

Gary

Christian Aufreiter
12-26-2005, 2:54 PM
Hello folks,

I ordered a couple of woodworking books and more than 30 screwdrivers for Christmas. They will arrive in January. On Thursday I bought myself a Makita 9404 belt sander and tomorrow I will shop for more handtools (clamps etc.).

Welcome to SMC, Bernhard! We need a shop tour!

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 3:19 PM
Welcome to SMC, Bernhard! We need a shop tour!

Regards,

Christian
We have one. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28225

Doug Shepard
12-26-2005, 3:20 PM
Well it wasn't a big Christmas tool-wise unless you count the Oct. MM16 purchase as an early Christmas present. I got a $50 LV GC, and a $10 Sears GC. Not sure what to buy with the 2nd one - maybe I can sell it on eBay for $15 ;) and add the cash to my LV GC. I did get a few tools though. Got this little Bridge City thing off eBay - Santa said I could.
My sister got me this - just the mini-saw attachment. I already have the Dremel.
Not sure if this last one qualifies as a tool, but Santa said he wasn't comin up my drive until I got it cleared.

Jarrod Nelson
12-26-2005, 3:32 PM
Here is what Santa left under my tree.

Grizz G1182Z 6" Jointer: Actually I used my Christmas bonus from work on this one. But I told my wife that was all I needed for Christmas.

Rockler Dovetail Jig: From my parents

Bessey KBody Clamping Kit for Cabinet Doors (KBK2440): Also from my parents (it's nice to have a Dad that woodworks too. :) )

Misc Lee Valley Stuff: Actually impulse items I bought for myself when shopping for other people. Christmas gets expensive when you have no self control. ;)

Jarrod Nelson
12-26-2005, 3:36 PM
Here are two more gifts that my Dad made my sons. I was very impressed, but it may be a few more years before they appreciate it (1 and 4 years old).

Bob Reeve
12-26-2005, 3:54 PM
The LOML gave to me from Lee Valley the following. I must have been very good.

Flush Cut Saw
Veritas Router Plane
Veritas Cabinet Scraper

My daughter gave me a cordless pencil sharpener.

Christian Aufreiter
12-26-2005, 4:55 PM
We have one. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28225

Thanks, Frank. I realized it after I had posted the message in this thread.:rolleyes:

Christian

Jim Dunn
12-26-2005, 5:09 PM
Well let's see. I went to Woodcraft and purchased the ear muffs, wet or dry paper for sharpening, some hinges and the mat everything is resting on. The dovetail saw is from Rockler as is the sharpening guide. All in all I had a real good Christmas as it was the first one that the granddaughter participated in. She actually unwrapped her gifts.:eek:

David Millsaps
12-26-2005, 5:13 PM
Placed my new Bandsaw on order today. It's kind of a Christmas present with the wife involved in the order. Can't wait to get my hands on it and try that resaw blade!!!!

Dave

David Jarrell
12-26-2005, 5:54 PM
I got the GRR-Ripper model 200 with handle kit, a Woodcraft gift cert, a couple of fence featherboards for my router table, and a PSI dust hood (for building an overarm TS guard).

John Miliunas
12-26-2005, 6:34 PM
Placed my new Bandsaw on order today. It's kind of a Christmas present with the wife involved in the order. Can't wait to get my hands on it and try that resaw blade!!!!

Dave

David, you DO realize we'll be expecting lots of pics when you get that bad boy in your shop, right?! :D Congrats. You'll love it!:) :cool:

Mike Forsman
12-26-2005, 7:10 PM
I received a JET 1442VS and a set of turning tools as a combination anniversary and Christmas present. I have had the lathe for about 3 months, but a very busy work schedule has prevented me from trying it out. For Christmas, I received a gripper, compass, and two additional turning tools. I did get some time late Christmas day to try the lathe out and made this bowl.

JayStPeter
12-26-2005, 7:47 PM
Well, no pics but:
6 Uniklamps
100' air hose reel
LV Lg. front vice
Veritas setup blocks
4x10" Duosharp

My family was giving me a hard time about only putting tools on my list. So, this year I made my list with very few. My wife came back and asked for more stuff because nobody wanted to buy me anything boring. So, I threw together a quick list of under $100 tools. Strangely enough, I was hoping to get some of the other things on my list.

Jay

john mclane
12-26-2005, 7:56 PM
For Christmas I got a gift certificate for a band saw. Now I need to make a choice between the 14 in. Powermatic, Jet 14 in. JWBS 14 dx or 14 CS (at Woodcraft where I have the gift certificate) or Grizzley has on there web site a 16 in G1073Z bandsaw. Any preferences? One of the earlier links more pople seemd to recommend the Grizzley. I have been going all over the web for different reviews and they all seem pretty good. One component to consider is picking up at the local Woodcraft vs mail order from Grizzly?

Help and soon.

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 8:09 PM
Hey John, you are the second person to use this thread to introduce themselves. Let me be the first member to welcome you to Saw Mill Creek. I can't help you with your bandsaw choice because mine is "none of the above", but their are lots of threads on bandsaws here and lots of opinions as to the "best".

Don Bergren
12-26-2005, 8:43 PM
I didn't have a lot of specific tool wants this year so Santa couldn't get a lot of ideas. But I did get some tool stuff. The one that I wanted the most was the Smart Router Kit for my EZ Guide, and it will get lots of use. I got a book on building cabinets, and I also received a Bevel Boss angle gauge. In addition to that, on Friday one of Santa's elves suggested that I order the 32" rail and additional Smart Clamps I've planned on buying for my EZ Guide, so the rail and two clamps are ordered and in the pipeline. Plus Santa generously left some cash for my tool buying fund, and that will most likely be held onto until some upcoming products for the EZ Guide are available for sale.

And a new tool addition that really wasn't, but I feel was a very special Christmas present came via UPS last Monday. It was a Smart Table from our friend in this forum, Dino the carpenter. Some of you saw my post regarding why I chose the guided saw system I did, and how that system made my working from a wheelchair so much easier. Dino felt that a Smart Table would make my life even easier, and it already has even though I haven't been able to use it too much due to the hectic times of the holiday preparations and celebration.

I also got other boring stuff like DVD's, books, clothing, etc., but they aren't tools so I won't bore folks with the details. I had a really great Christmas and am a very lucky person to have the family and friends that I have. After all, that is the best gift of all.

Gregg Mason
12-26-2005, 8:49 PM
Got one of these. Should come in handy.

Ken Robb
12-26-2005, 8:51 PM
My family bought me a one week class at Marc Adams School of Woodworking. I will be attending Doug Stowe's box making class in July 2006. They also gave me several FWW DVDs.

Tage Frid - Profile Series

Frank Klausz - Dovetail a Drawer

Mark Duginske - Mastering your Bandsaw

Ken

Brian MacDonald
12-26-2005, 9:50 PM
A combination Christmas/Birthday gift from my wife. She is a gem!:)

John M. Cioffi
12-27-2005, 7:13 AM
Congrats, everyone!
Hope all had a great Christmas.
Hopefully I can load a pic of my Christmas gift from LOML.
It's great seeing all those tool pics!
Got the Grip-Tite system with fence. Then LOML said I could order the split fences for the router table.

John Hart
12-27-2005, 7:21 AM
The girls heard me complaining that my Drill Press was too small and underpowered so they got me one that is twice the size with Laser Crosshairs. I decided to let them build it. It took a couple of hours because I made them read the manual OUT LOUD, including all the safety warnings. They had a ball.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2005, 7:49 AM
I have to add to my list. Santa informed me yesterday that part of my gift was not available and the order was cancelled. On top of that, she had miscalculated how much she had spent on me, so she said I could choose another gift. I'm planning to order the EZ Smart guide and Smart Table today.

Hopefully this doesn't take the thread in the wrong direction.

Glenn Clabo
12-27-2005, 8:35 AM
if I watch Woodworking at Home DVDs on this it can be a tool?
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00067AXZE.01-A228GNTXW0TH0L._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Sony Widescreen WEGA Plasma Flat-Panel TV with Integrated HDTV Tuner

Keith Starosta
12-27-2005, 9:32 AM
Matt,
Anybody that takes this thread in the wrond directions because of a gift should be instantly banned from posting. Just my opinion... :o

Glenn,
I would say that is an absolute tool gloat!! Very nice!!

- Keith

Frank Chaffee
12-27-2005, 3:04 PM
A book, “The Complete Dictionary Wood” by Thomas Corkhill, and these colored lead carpenter’s pencils…
Frank

Roy Hatch
12-27-2005, 3:22 PM
Betcha I got the tool with the most power. My son donated money to Heifer International in my name and bought a water buffalo for a needy family in Asia or perhaps Africa. But wait -- I also received 4 books on the subject of woodworking.
Happy New Year to you all.
Roy

Larry Fox
12-27-2005, 4:43 PM
Santa was VERY good to me this year. Porter Cable plate-jointer and Krieg ProPack 2000 pocket-hole system. Both to support kitchen remodel project. Two gift certificates (LV and Amazon). Amazon just got used on the Bessey deal. LV one I will hold until I I can add $$ to it to get one of their shoulder planes.

Frank Pellow
12-27-2005, 5:54 PM
if I watch Woodworking at Home DVDs on this it can be a tool?
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00067AXZE.01-A228GNTXW0TH0L._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Sony Widescreen WEGA Plasma Flat-Panel TV with Integrated HDTV Tuner
I guess so Glenn, but I sure hope that you are not going to install this particular tool in your shop. :D

Rob Russell
12-28-2005, 8:24 AM
I didn't ask for much after acquiring 2 mega-gloat machines during the year and I'm also assembling a really high-end stereo right now. I did get this ladder as a Christmas present. My Dad was over the day after Thanksgiving to help eat leftovers and I gave him the Home Depot circular where these were on special for $60. It took him some hunting, but he found one. The ladder is specifically so I can climb up into the back of my truck bed while carrying stuff (like the bed cover) - much sturdier than the normal small folding ladders. I'm happy!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
12-28-2005, 8:48 AM
Well, I got one of these........

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/jackpot/festool_1st_cuts2.jpg
...with all the fixings, and a used one of these......

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/jackpot/husky/saw_upgrade.jpg

Cheers!

Dave Right
12-28-2005, 2:38 PM
NASCAR driving school which lets you drive a NASCAR car around the MIchigan speedway next summer.