PDA

View Full Version : One handed projects

Brandon Speaks
04-11-2020, 12:29 AM
So while I was looking forward to spending some shop time during this extended period at home an unfortunate accident last weekend (not wood working or tool related) cost me A good portion of my left thumb. While the rest of the hand will be fine lets just assume it is essentially unusable for a month or more. I have been trying to think of what kind of projects I can do 1 handed and am drawing a blank. I am generally looking for smaller type projects.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Jim Koepke
04-11-2020, 1:19 AM
Sorry to hear of the injury Brandon.

Do you have a drill press and forestner bits?

Sometimes my smaller pieces of firewood are turned into pencil cups. It is best to hold the pieces of limb in a clamp which is clamped to the drill press.

They can either be drilled with one large hole, ~2" or so. Some of mine are made with multiple holes. A 1-1/4" hole can hold a few pens & pencils. A 1/2" to 3/4" hole can hold a small pair of scissors, a finger nail file, ruler or other implements.

A knot on the side can be carved a little to look like an eye. Then you have a pencil cup to keep an eye on your pens & pencils

jtk

James Pallas
04-11-2020, 9:03 AM
Brandon I hope you heal fast. Think about what actions are truly two handed, like mallet chiseling etc. Than explore the work holding devices you have. If you have a holding device many things can be done one handed, sawing, paring, marking, planing(with smaller planes), carving, sharpening. It may take longer and require some thought.

Brandon Speaks
04-11-2020, 11:06 AM
I would love to do some boxes, ive always chiseled them out but might order a fret saw. That could work.

James Pallas
04-11-2020, 11:15 AM
Brandon that sounds good. A decent vise a fret saw and some material that doesn’t require mallet work to get to the baseline should be workable.