PDA

View Full Version : whats enough power?

Jim Kountz
12-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Well still no purchase of a lathe yet but Im narrowing it down. One thing that Ive noticed is use of smaller horsepower motors on all but the $2000+ range of lathes. It seems most sub $1000 lathes have tiny motors of 3/4-1HP. Is this enough for most turning projects and where would I expect to notice the lack of power? Large bowls I assume would be the first thing but what other items are power hungry for lathes?

Thank all and Merry Christmas!

Jim Becker
12-25-2005, 8:47 AM
2hp is generally capable of turning most things one would want to do. For heavy coring or "really large" work, 3hp is available in the larger machines that are actually capable of the activities. Moderate coring demands 2hp, too.

Both the Delta and Jet 16" machines are available (and recommended) in 2hp as is the PM 3520 A/B. The NOVA DVR is no slouch, although I don't remember it's rating...different kind of motor, anyway. Vega and Vicmark both are available in 2hp in the "mid-range" $2.5K-3.5K range. Etc.

One other thought...the VFD controlled 3 phase motors on many of these machines don't carry much premium to step up to 2hp. (talking about the Delta and Jet, for example) And they run Ssmmmmmmmmmmmooooooootttttttttthhhh!

Jim Kountz
12-25-2005, 9:15 AM
Darn I guess most who read my original post must have wondered why it said jointers instead of lathes so I edited it to read correctly. Sorry bout that! I just read a post on jointers and guess I had them on the brain.

Jim Ketron
12-25-2005, 2:57 PM
It all depends on what size lathe you plan to buy.
If you plan to buy a full size lathe I would go with the 2 hp.

Chip Sutherland
12-25-2005, 4:39 PM
has a 1HP motor and runs ~$1000 unless you can catch a rebate from JET/WMH Tools.. My Jet Mini is 1/2 hp. Both lathes turned 9.75" x 4" mahogany bowl blanks. The 1442 never stalled when I was hogged out the inside of the blanks. The Mini stalled a few times but a less heavy cut prevented the problem. 9.75" is definitely on the edge of the capacity of a Mini...gave me a good excuse for the 1442. I looked at the 3/4HP machines on the market but I was wanting more power, more capacity and better fit/finish. I almost bought the Jet 16" 1642...my wife approved the bigger machine but $1800, I couldn't justify the extra $800 over the 1442 when a Powermatic 3520 was $2300. But if I'm willing to spend $2300 why not $3600 for a Oneway? Then why not a Stubby or a Poolewood...At this point, insanity is pretty much firmly rooted in my addiction. So I reverted back to what I NEEDED....which was more power, more capacity at a reasonable price. The 1442 has little comparison. I'm sure there will be the 'ultimate' lathe somewhere in my future but that will be after I recovered from college and wedding expenses in 15 yrs.

IMO....The 12" HarborFreight lathe is the best starter lathe for price/value. Grizzly has a good lineup of HF comparable machines, too.