PDA

View Full Version : Self-centering bits

Bob Jones 5443
04-04-2020, 5:30 PM
Does it matter which self-centering bit brand you get when precision counts? Prices range from $8 to $50 for what looks like the same three sizes.

michael dilday
04-04-2020, 5:55 PM
Probably not much. I use Snappy and they seem to be good. There are some out there where the tapered centering part is wider and they don't fit in the hinge holes so you just have a drill bit. Snappy works well but you have to buy special bits that seem to snap easy. I will follow this thread and maybe learn something.

Dave Sweeney
04-04-2020, 7:12 PM
Snappy works well for me also. No need to buy a $50 set when a $20 set will do the exact same thing. I've broken a bit or two with the Snappy but have always just replaced the bit with an everyday ordinary bit.

Ted Phillips
04-04-2020, 8:44 PM
I have found that the center drill bits break easily with cheaper Vix-style bits. So I went on ebay and bought a fist-full of the sizes I use regularly for my Brusso hinges.

TedP

Ray Newman
04-04-2020, 8:52 PM
A few projects back I needed to use a self-centering bit. Couldn't find the set I had and the dealer only had an inexpensive set. Bough the set and it was one big mistake!

On plunging, the bit would hang up -- just spin in place, then it would not retract or clear the chips. Finally the set screw holding the bit no longer functioned. Then I experimented with the other two bits, same problems. Tossed them into the metal recycling container and ordered a set of SNAPPY Bits. The SNAPPY worked like a charm! Should have delayed the project and ordered the SNAPPY at the very beginning.

Paul F Franklin
04-04-2020, 8:53 PM
I have an old set (no idea what brand) and the drill bits have a flat ground where the setscrew tightens to hold the bit. They work great as long as I add an occasional drop of oil to lube the spring loaded part. I bought another set recently (maybe dewalt?) because I wanted some with the hex drive and my old set had round shanks. The bits in the new set don't have flats and I find I have to frequently tighten the setscrew or the bits spin inside the holder. Next time I need to use them I will grind a small flat and see if that helps.

glenn bradley
04-04-2020, 9:00 PM
As long as the bit depth is adjustable and the bit is replaceable I would land in the middle of the pack somewhere. The Rocklers that I picked up on sale in 2002 for cheap are still going strong. When their bits dulled I just replaced them with some name brand bits. As long as the clearance around the bit is minimal so that things actually center, you're good.

Bob Jones 5443
04-04-2020, 9:55 PM
I have found that the center drill bits break easily with cheaper Vix-style bits. So I went on ebay and bought a fist-full of the sizes I use regularly for my Brusso hinges.

TedP

“Cheaper Vix-style bits.” The 3-piece Vix set is $38 today. You’re saying you bought more expensive bits on eBay?

Bob Jones 5443
04-04-2020, 9:59 PM
The comparable Snappy set can be had for $23 plus shipping. I ordered the Vix set today due to the similar price, but I might have received the Snappy set from Woodcraft sooner. Everything is in the air these days.

johnny means
04-04-2020, 11:07 PM
I've found the biggest difference between price points is longevity. The cheap ones have garbage springs and thrust washers. These wear out and stop doing what they were designed to do. The spring gets twisted and ceases to retract the bit. At that point its just a drill bit with no centering function. Also, the better ones are machined to tighter tolerances and center better, but I've found this to be negligible.

Rick Potter
04-05-2020, 3:44 AM
I have two sets. My first set was by Vix, which I believe was the original mfg. The second set has no brand name on it, and was bought because it had hex shanks.

I looked them over recently, and found a few differences. The Vix set has stronger springs, as mentioned earlier. The off brand comes apart easier, but I have not needed to change bits yet. I prefer the Vix.

The biggest difference I see is that the bits in the Vix have a much slower twist, and larger channels for the chips to follow, which means they don't clog as much as the off brand which uses regular twist bits.

I imagine the newer Vix have hex shanks, but don't really know for sure. Mine must be 20 years old.

Good tip on oiling them a bit.

I read another tip a while back on cleaning out the clogs by running the bit up and down in a larger hole to clean the flutes. Pictured below is a little fixture I made up for that purpose. It works pretty good. Just stick the running bit in the 3/16" hole and run it up and down a couple times. I keep it handy when drilling. Works great on hardwoods, pine still clogs some.

Poor pic quality. The three top holes are the three sizes of Vix bits, which give me a visual to be able to judge which size to use. The hole at the bottom is 3/16" drilled all the way through, for cleaning out the flutes as mentioned above.

Rob Luter
04-05-2020, 8:47 AM
I've been using this set (https://www.rockler.com/rockler-insty-drive-self-centering-bits) from Rockler for 10 years. They do what they're supposed to.

Thomas L Carpenter
04-05-2020, 5:55 PM
I wish they made one size smaller. Made several boxes with small hinges and the smallest size was too large for the screws.

Andy D Jones
04-06-2020, 8:39 PM
Not sure about other brands, but Snappy tools are made in the USA. I don't have their self-centering bits (yet), but I do have their countersinking and normal hex-shanked bits, and they perform very well.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Peter Kuhlman
04-06-2020, 9:11 PM
I wish they made one size smaller. Made several boxes with small hinges and the smallest size was too large for the screws.

I too have been trying to find one a size smaller for small hinges and such. Really surprised no one seems to make this.

Thomas McCurnin
04-06-2020, 11:48 PM
All of the smaller sizes will break. That is because the user is in a hurry and does several in a row quickly, overheating the bit. Snap! So go slow and take your time.

I found no difference between any of them, so I buy cheap POS.

Bruce Wrenn
04-07-2020, 10:21 AM
I've owned a cheap set (General) for over thirty years. Biggest problem is remembering where they are when needed.

Ray Newman
04-07-2020, 12:00 PM
"....Biggest problem is remembering where they are when needed. "

--Bruce Wrenn

I have the same problem, but it's not only with self-centering bits!

Ray Newman
04-07-2020, 7:58 PM
Thomas Carpenter and Peter Kuhlman: you mentioned a need for small screw self-centering bits. How "small" is "small"? Snappy make one for a #4 (softwood) and a #2 screw (hardwood) with a 5/64" drill.

See: https://www.snappytools.com/product/45105-564-self-centering-hinge-bit

Would imperial or metric transfer punches work -- tap to mark the hole placement, then drill??? Looking on Amazon metric transfer punch sets start at 1.0 mm; imperial at 3/32"

Peter Kuhlman
04-07-2020, 8:29 PM
Thomas Carpenter and Peter Kuhlman: you mentioned a need for small screw self-centering bits. How "small" is "small"? Snappy make one for a #4 (softwood) and a #2 screw (hardwood) with a 5/64" drill.

See: https://www.snappytools.com/product/45105-564-self-centering-hinge-bit

Would imperial or metric transfer punches work -- tap to mark the hole placement, then drill??? Looking on Amazon metric transfer punch sets start at 1.0 mm; imperial at 3/32"
I have the 5/64 size and it makes too large of a hole for the small brass screws used for decorative trim and small hinges. Not sure what exactly I need - maybe 3/64”?

Bruce Wrenn
04-07-2020, 8:50 PM
"....Biggest problem is remembering where they are when needed. "

--Bruce Wrenn

I have the same problem, but it's not only with self-centering bits!Right now they are with my bottle Anti-Seize, and gear puller, neither of which could I find this afternoon.

joseph f merz
04-10-2020, 10:47 AM
cheap ones jam up .cheap ones have weak springs and tend not to return easy .i use them alot for door hardware installs .
look for ones that have a strong return spring
the ones with big allen screws holding the bit work better .best is one with two allens holding the bit tight .
have extra bits for the small sizes ,they tend to snap off .

Paul F Franklin
04-10-2020, 12:06 PM
Right now they are with my bottle Anti-Seize, and gear puller, neither of which could I find this afternoon.

Stuff like that moves to an alternate universe, along with missing socks. Only returns when you have bought replacements.