PDA

View Full Version : Scraper Shave

Stephen Rosenthal
04-04-2020, 1:01 PM
I’m thinking about purchasing the Veritas scraper shave and wondering if anyone has one (or similar) and what your thoughts are about it? I don’t build chairs and my work varies between large and small pieces using primarily domestic hardwoods, some with gnarly grain. I have and often use a cabinet scraper, large and small LN scraper planes and a variety of metal and wood spokeshaves. When necessary I sand to 400 grit. I do not like or use card scrapers. Considering the tools I have and the stuff I build, would the scraper shave be overkill and end up collecting airborne dust rather than sawdust?

Jim Koepke
04-04-2020, 1:43 PM
Considering the tools I have and the stuff I build, would the scraper shave be overkill and end up collecting airborne dust rather than sawdust?

Is there a situation you can see the scraper shave doing better than the tools already at your disposal?

Would you be able to use less sandpaper?

My scraper abilities have not blossomed. It appears you have used scrapers in a few different holding devices. It might be better for you to decide if a smaller more nimble tool might be of use.

jtk

bill epstein
04-05-2020, 9:29 AM
Absolutely lovely!, but...
I know card scrapers hurt and burn one's thumbs but if you already have cabinet scrapers (useful) and scraper planes (I'd have to Google that as I did with this scraper shave) I don't see the added value of this tool. Looks to me like it would eliminate the feedback needed to one's hands that a card scraper gives.

Stephen Rosenthal
04-05-2020, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. With more thought I feel it’s a tool that won’t do anything I can’t already accomplish with what I have. The money would be better spent upgrading some of my old Stanley spokeshaves with Hock blades or adding a Boggs.

steven c newman
04-05-2020, 12:47 PM
Any different than using a Stanley No. 80?

Jim Koepke
04-05-2020, 2:04 PM
Any different than using a Stanley No. 80?

Size

jtk

Stephen Rosenthal
04-05-2020, 2:10 PM
Beat me to it Jim. That’s the reason I considered it. The Stanley #80, or in my case the Veritas version, is huge in comparison.