PDA

View Full Version : What to do with plate glass?

David Utterback
04-04-2020, 12:30 PM
I have had 2 pieces of plate glass 32" x 42" in my basement for years. Any ideas on what to do with them?

Paul F Franklin
04-04-2020, 1:35 PM
If you don't have need of them for a project, say a glass door display cabinet or the like, the Habitat restore might take them since they are nice large pieces.

Not sure if they are operating these days, but if they've sat around for years, a little longer shouldn't matter.

Lee Schierer
04-04-2020, 1:37 PM
You could make a nice hot house or two with those.

Bill Space
04-04-2020, 2:42 PM
Or list them on Craig's List for free. Someone might have a use for them...

Jared Sankovich
04-04-2020, 2:48 PM
Build some windows, or cabinets with glass doors

Richard Coers
04-04-2020, 3:33 PM
Been there for years? Habitat for Humanity Restore Store, or recycling.

Bill Dufour
04-04-2020, 3:56 PM
Cut down for sandpaper plate for sharpening chisels etc.

Rob Luter
04-04-2020, 4:43 PM
What thickness? Annealed or tempered?

Ed Edwards
04-04-2020, 7:23 PM
Two questions for Dave,

How thick is the glass, and can you tell if this is tempered glass?

Thanks,
Ed

johnny means
04-04-2020, 8:43 PM
We use them for Friday, after work, couple of beers target practice. Pellet rifles, of course. I would never act so irresponsibly with the real thing

Brian Deakin
04-05-2020, 5:41 AM
You could use them to prepare an area of ground for planting

Water area to encourage germination of weed and other seeds
Wait for seeds to germinate

or place glass over area raised slightly above the ground creating an environment to encourage germination

Place glass over area
Glass will exclude water from area and heat generated will effectively fry weeds

David Utterback
04-05-2020, 9:47 AM
You could use them to prepare an area of ground for planting

Water area to encourage germination of weed and other seeds
Wait for seeds to germinate

or place glass over area raised slightly above the ground creating an environment to encourage germination

Place glass over area
Glass will exclude water from area and heat generated will effectively fry weeds

These gardening suggestions are very timely. May give it a shot. Thanks, Brian and Lee.

David Utterback
04-05-2020, 9:53 AM
Been there for years? Habitat for Humanity Restore Store, or recycling.

Good suggestion although all local HfH activities have been stopped due to pandemic. Last year, the store was no longer accepting mirrors since breakage and injury risks were too great. This policy is likely applicable to all glass sheets but there is no one to check with at the moment. Thanks for the idea.

David Utterback
04-05-2020, 9:57 AM
Cut down for sandpaper plate for sharpening chisels etc.

How does one cut plate glass and does it make any difference if it is annealed or tempered as some have asked? I already have a scary sharp system although it is much used and scratched all over. I also recently purchased a lapping plate from LV and have a 16" x 42" piece of granite which could be used as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

David Utterback
04-05-2020, 9:59 AM
We use them for Friday, after work, couple of beers target practice. Pellet rifles, of course. I would never act so irresponsibly with the real thing

Your Fridays are much more entertaining than mine! :)

Mike Henderson
04-05-2020, 12:50 PM
How does one cut plate glass and does it make any difference if it is annealed or tempered as some have asked? I already have a scary sharp system although it is much used and scratched all over. I also recently purchased a lapping plate from LV and have a 16" x 42" piece of granite which could be used as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm no glass expert but I'm pretty sure you can't cut tempered glass - it will break in little pieces. You could grind a small amount off with a diamond wheel but that's about it.

Mike

Rob Luter
04-06-2020, 7:32 AM

Yes, it makes a difference.

Check the thickness. If it's 3/32 (.094) then it's Single Strength (SSB) and will be annealed. That is to say you'll be able to cut it if you wish using a regular glass cutter. I say this because SSB is too thin to be tempered predictably and no one does it. Check YouTube for instructions on how to cut glass.

This guy gives a good demo but the idiot is asking to get cut. Use extreme care and wear gloves, eye protection, and an apron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfmRLTxVFmg.

The sheet sizes you cite are really large for single strength glass. It would surprise me if it was.

If it measure 1/8" thick then it's Double Strength (DSB) and may be annealed or tempered. There are a couple ways to tell. If i's tempered there will be a tempering bug etched near one corner. You'll see the same sort of mark on any patio door or window glass mounted in a swinging door. The edges will likely have been ground to some degree as well. See here: https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/tempered-glass-labels.6360/ for more information. Trying to cut tempered glass will result in a million pieces of cullet. Impact on the edge of the glass will cause the same thing. It's amazingly strong stuff but impact with a sharp instrument will break it. It will generally stay intact when you scribe the line with the cutter, but as soon as you tap the surface to break it out it will explode.

If it is DSB (or thicker) but in the annealed state it will be safer to handle and a bit easier to cut. In any case, use full PPE (leather or Kevlar gloves, glasses, apron, long sleeves). Cut it on a large flat table. After cutting, dress the sharp edges with a stone or fine Emory paper. Fresh cut glass is the kind of sharp the guys on the Neanderthal Haven Forum dream about. You don't know you're cut until you see the blood.

al heitz
04-06-2020, 11:20 PM
There's a skill (or is it an art) to glass cutting. I never learned it and my father was a glass salesman. He made it look so easy. Someone in a craft shop or take it to a glass/window shop and have them cut it for you. Even local hardware stores often have someone who knows how.