PDA

View Full Version : Santa, Posle Zaftra?...Santa Zaftra?..Oy!

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 5:37 PM
As you can imagine, part of this week has been getting ready for the Christmas holiday...something Alison and I traditionally have not gone over-board with “just because”. Typically, it’s been a plane ride to central Florida to spend a few days with my parents and a few lights in our ficus tree in the great room. (And, of course...my string of lights in the shapes of tools) Holiday hoo-ha just hasn’t rated high on our priorities in the past. Having a couple of urchins around, of course, changes that...

Earlier in the week, we each took the girls to shop for pedarki (presents) for the other parent. Now, “everyone” knows that gifts are supposed to be a surprise, but for some reason, these two young ladies seem to make a sport of making not-so-subtle hints about what they “bought”. Telling them ti spracite suprise, ni-suprise (you talk about a surprise makes it not a surprise) has no bearing on it, so both mama and papa have taken to suggesting outrageous things as guesses, even though the sign language is way too clear. Maybe next year...

Yesterday, we set up a tree in the great room. The girls wanted an ochen bolshaya yulka (really big tree), but seem to be satisfied with what emerged from the box once it was set up and turned on. It’s one of those 4' trees that is pre-lit with both normal lights and fiber optics that change colors as a little wheel revolves in the base. It really does look very nice and is set up on a small table to give it some more height. The girls hung ornaments on it as well as “helped” put the lights and garland on the ficus tree in the window.

Not being content with one tree, we also gave them a small, unlit tree for their room. It was very nice when it started out, and really looks great since they used a bunch of beads as garland to further embellish it. Nastia leads everyone in yet another round of Jingle Bells in the second photo...

Last night, when the girls were finally getting down to the business of “bed” and “sleep”, Nastia was frequently saying, "Santa, posle zaftra?” (Christmas, day after tomorrow?) At about 4am, she woke and Alison went to check things out. While there, the question was asked again, and unconsciously, Alison answered, “Santa, Zaftra”...to us, 4am is already “today”, but to this little girl who has no sense of time, it was still night. Early this morning, Alesya came clattering into our room, exclaiming, “Santa savonia!" (Santa today!). We said, no, tomorrow, but over and over she argued with us, returning to their room with the news as any lowly servant would. “Look at the yulka...do you see any presents?” Finally, Nastia had the bells go off and agreed that Santa was coming tomorrow. Of course...she already has repeatedly said that there really is no Santa and it’s mama and papa. Not that we are going to insist on it one way or another, especially for a 10-year-old, our response is that mama and papa and Santa all work together...and we will likely be working very late in the night given these girls inability to gracefully go to sleep. Jingle bells....jingle bells... Oy, veh! :-)
-------

And since this IS a woodworking forum site, I'll mention that wrapping gifts on my table saw outfeed table was certainly an interesting experience. But at least it did get me in the shop for an hour or two... ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2005, 5:45 PM
Isn't it amazing how having little ones around can increase the enthusiasm of adults for this holiday? There's something magical that happens to the adult heart and soul when the magical twinkle appears in a child's eyes as their imagination runs wild! I'll wish all of the Becker's a Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas ....but I know my wish isn't needed this year! Enjoy Mom and Dad!

John Miliunas
12-24-2005, 6:35 PM
Yeah, the young ones indeed bring Christmas into a whole different light, don't they?:) It certainly looks as though they are thoroughly enjoying the Holiday. Hey, maybe next year, you and the girls can go out to the local Tree Farm and harvest a real one and give them the whole experience!:D It's kinda' fun, actually. Anyhow, best wishes to you and the whole Becker family! I'm sure it will be a very joyous Christmas for you guys this year!:) :cool:

Ken Garlock
12-24-2005, 7:14 PM
Aaah, Jim, the joys of parenthood:) Give us an update tomorrow evening on the happenings of the day.

In the mean time, Merry Christmas to the entire Becker family .

Jim Dunn
12-24-2005, 7:25 PM
Jim great story, I loved it. Kids are great!!! But now Grandkids are better. We, my wife and I, intend to spoil our little granddaughter this Xmas. We'll have another to spoil next Xmas as well.

Merry Christmas (Santa)

Jim and Pat Dunn

Charles McKinley
12-24-2005, 7:37 PM
Merry Christmas Jim,

I laughed at even the title of the post. I'm glad to hear that a joyous season abounds in your new family. I sounds like the start of some great memories.

Jim O'Dell
12-24-2005, 7:42 PM
That's very touching, Jim. Don't wait until tomorrow evening to update us as Ken suggested, you'll be asleep by then!! Thanks for sharing. This is the first Christmas in our 28 years of marriage that we will be by ourselves on Christmas Day. Kind of looking forward to the solitude, but will miss the hustle of family too. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!! Jim.

Randy Moore
12-24-2005, 8:17 PM
Alison and Jim,

The pictures you posted are of 2 wonderful looking youg ladies. I hope they don't wear you both you tonight and tommorrow;) . But they will:) . Have a very Merry Christmas and like was said keep us posted on how things go.

Randy

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 9:34 PM
Merry Christmas to the Becker Crew.

Jim & Alison -- Be prepared to wake up very very early.

Tom Hamilton
12-24-2005, 9:43 PM
Merry Christmas Jim, this will be the first of many changes in your life. I'm excited about being in a position to read about some of them.

Enjoy the moment (s). :rolleyes:

By the way, there's a book in this new life of yours someplace, hope you are keeping a journal.

Blessings of the Season, Tom

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey, maybe next year, you and the girls can go out to the local Tree Farm and harvest a real one and give them the whole experience!

While I grew up with real trees for the holidays, we are unlikely to embrace that tradition for environmental reasons...it would have to be a tree with a root ball and there is no way I'm going to maneuver something like that into the great room...the tractor will NOT fit through the doors and kitchen! ;) That said, there will be a bigger "very realistic" one next year...

By the way, there's a book in this new life of yours someplace, hope you are keeping a journal.

Of course we have a journal: http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com Photo Site, too: http://toscax.us (I'm behind on posting the Russia pictures, however)

Don't wait until tomorrow evening to update us as Ken suggested, you'll be asleep by then!!

I'm asleep now...but that's a normal existence anymore! I am very thankful for my bright, shiny espresso machine these days. :o

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 10:33 PM
"Bedtime" was sorta at about 8:45, but as usual, it was not a easy thing to get them to quiet down. Alesya was particularly silly. Nastia turned on the little clock radio "really loud" to "whatever" station it was on (doesn't matter on Christmas Eve...it's all holiday music) and actually asked for a back scratch/rub/massage. 'First time ever for that from me at least. Aleys was still being incorrigible, but they finally quieted down after awhile and are actually sleeping now. With our luck, they will be up at oh-dark-thirty. I guess we'll have to decide how much abuse we are willing to take relative to forcing them to "wait" until we are ready to go downstairs... http://forums.adoption.com//images/smilies/wink.gif

Picture below is the girls putting Tosca and Spike's (our birds) gifts in their respective stockings after kupatsa (bath time) was finished.

Joe Mioux
12-24-2005, 10:34 PM
While I grew up with real trees for the holidays, we are unlikely to embrace that tradition for environmental reasons...it would have to be a tree with a root ball and there is no way I'm going to maneuver something like that into the great room...the tractor will NOT fit through the doors and kitchen! ;) That said, there will be a bigger "very realistic" one next year...

Happy Holidays Jim and family!

If it is any conselation, we use our cut christmas tree as a fish habitat. Every January, I take the tree to the lake where it is used as a fish habitat.

Joe

Ernie Nyvall
12-24-2005, 11:19 PM
All I can do is chuckle quietly and wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.

Ernie

John Miliunas
12-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Happy Holidays Jim and family!

If it is any conselation, we use our cut christmas tree as a fish habitat. Every January, I take the tree to the lake where it is used as a fish habitat.

Joe

Ours goes in the backyard, complete with hanging peanut butter coated pretzels with bird seed on them. The birds love it (and we have many!) and it stays until spring.:) :cool:

John Bailey
12-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Great pictures Jim, you've got a great family there. Merry Christmas to you all.

John

Jim Becker
12-25-2005, 9:39 AM
Although the girls first got up at 4:30a (did I happen to mention oh-dark-thirty in my earlier post?) we managed to keep them occupied in our sleepy stupor until about 7:30a when we finally made our way downstairs. This is the first time they have EVER shown any patience. We also had them put on their dresses (same ones as for court) to emphasize that this is an important family occasion. They were remarkably well-behaved while opening presents, during the following breakfast of fresh muffins and now while they are watching Cinderella...one of the two videos that were under the tree. (They still are having trouble processing that the videos are "family" gifts and for everyone, no matter who happened to unwrap the package... http://forums.adoption.com//images/smilies/wink.gif )

So...on to a few pictures...

1) The tree. Small, but satisfying
2) The stockings. (Nice mantle...:) )
3) More Barbies....Cinderella Barbie for the Princessa Anastasiya and Dr. Barbie for the royal consort, Aleyska
4) Aleys and her "haul"...
5) Nastia and hers

Bryan Somers
12-25-2005, 10:02 AM
The smiles on on those girls faces says it all. Merry Christmas to all of you

John Miliunas
12-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Precious moments, short in time but, memories to last the rest of your lives! :) Congrats, once again to both, you and Alison!:) :cool:

Mark Stutz
12-25-2005, 2:01 PM
Jim,
The "0-dark-thirty something" comment really brings back memories. We traditionally did Christmas in pajamas, though! Now that the boys are twenty-something, we had to wake them up about 9:30! Enjoy these family times, as the memories last forever!

Mark

Ken Garlock
12-25-2005, 2:15 PM
Good pictures of a great family. Thanks for posting them.

Take good care of those precious ones, too soon they grow up and become real people.:)

Jim Becker
12-25-2005, 2:18 PM
We traditionally did Christmas in pajamas, though!

My family home, too. This year is a bit different in that it's also a "teaching" situation. Next year...pi-zjam-u for sure!

Gary Herrmann
12-25-2005, 5:34 PM
OK Jim, since youre a relative "newbie" :rolleyes: I'll let you in on a secret. If one of you was up late wrapping or you just want to rotate this gift - pick your own reason.

We've done this the past two years. Our son is 5, so 0 dark 30 is very familiar. Once you've opened everything and the girls are thoroughly involved in their gifts, Christmas parades or whatever - one of you gets to go back to bed for an hour or two. Its an awesome gift.

Can you tell it was my turn this year? Even tho we did have to have a Christmas snow ball fight - maximizing the .5" of accumulation, my nap may even top the tools I received.

Again congratulations on your two beautiful girls.

Jerry Clark
12-25-2005, 7:55 PM
Jim you sure made Christmas for those girls-- and one they will never forget. Also brought a lot of smiles and a few tears from the "Creekers". :D Thanks for sharing your new family with us.:)

Vaughn McMillan
12-25-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm with Bryan on this one...the smiles say volumes. I'm sure this'll be a Christmas all the Beckers remember from now on. Way to go, Jim.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
12-26-2005, 5:04 PM
A few more pictures:

1) Christmas Dinner...a little different than the "family traditional" turkey with pork roast, mashed potatoes/turnips, stuffing, cranberry sauce and...pelemini. Sparkling cider for "toasts" by all. Cherry pie with ice cream for desert...the girls only consumed, yes...the ice cream.

2) My parents stopped by today for brunch. They were up north from central Florida where they live to help my brother get situated in his new mobile home (recently divorced) and see his six kids for the holidays. (That was a wish actually granted by the ex-spouse, err...witch...for a change) They gave our girls some nice stuffed animals and we gave them a DVD player that they can watch both commercial films on as well as play DVDs I'll start sending to them with the girls on them...if I ever get time to do it, that is. The girls were well behaved, although, they requested to eat in the kitchen rather than our dining area in the great room with the adults.

3) A better shot of the girls with the kitty and dog

John Bailey
12-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Jim,

Noticed your mention of environmental Christmas tree. We also do not like to chop down a live tree. Instead of buying a "naturally challenged" tree, we take the top off one that has been toppled by nature. Kinda' scrawny, but the spirit is there.

Hope you're still having a Merry Christmas and still looking toward the new year.

John