PDA

View Full Version : Dial Indicators

Chris Damato
12-24-2005, 5:28 PM
Hi,

I am looking for opinions on which dial indicator to purchase. I am curious what models everyone else is using out there.

Thanks,

-Chris

Brian Hale
12-24-2005, 5:54 PM
I'm a machinist by trade so i've got several different brands but for woodworking, look for something with 1" of travel and $20 price range

Brian :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2005, 5:57 PM
I use some pretty expensive Starrett's at work but I agree with Brian...cheaper models would work great for the WW shop!

Russ Massery
12-24-2005, 6:55 PM
Same here I like the black faced ones I think there easier to read.

Dave Sweeney
12-24-2005, 9:34 PM
Believe it or not, the Harbor Freight 00623 1" Dial Indicator is very accurate. When its on sale it can usually be had for around $7.

Dave Lehnert
12-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I have the harbor freight model that runs on sale for around $15. It is a quality tool. Sorry. Not sure of the model number

Randy Meijer
12-25-2005, 1:52 AM
I have seen an opinion or two that recommend against dial indicators in WW shops. The thinking being that the dust will compromise the gear trains in the dials sooner or later. Anyone have a thought on this??

David Rose
12-25-2005, 4:08 AM
Randy, there is probably some truth to it, but most of even the cheapies are fairly well sealed. I've used a 2" one of the cheap variety for four years on my rounter table fence. Not a glitch so far. And it stays exposed all the time.

David

I have seen an opinion or two that recommend against dial indicators in WW shops. The thinking being that the dust will compromise the gear trains in the dials sooner or later. Anyone have a thought on this??

Russ Massery
12-25-2005, 8:49 AM
I only use the for setting up Planer knives, Jointer, table saw,etc. Then put them back in the box. Yes they are fragile, But for doing these sort of operation there invaluable.I quess it's the machinist in me. I feel it's alot easier to use a indicator and know were the knives are then trying to do it buy feel.

Rich Torino
12-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Chris,
check out this link...
http://www.wixey.com/index.html

Brian King
12-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Chris,
I am also a toolmaker. The woodworking environment is no problem for most machinist type tools. It just takes a little common sense. These tools are used in shops where there is grinding dust, machining coolant, metal chips all over. Keep the tools in a drawer or box until you need them then put them away. Wipe them off with a clean rag if you get anything on them.
The Wixley digital tablesaw readout looked good until I read the specs.
With an accuracy of plus or minus .005" per foot you could be off as much as 1/64 in just over 36". That's about as wide as I like to rip on my saw. That's not accurate enough for close work. You can get that close by using the scale on your fence.
Merry Christmas to all.
Brian

Mike Monroe
01-25-2006, 3:51 PM
Ok, I have magnetic base dial indicator on order... now where do I purchase a piece of round bar stock to check the run out on my Delta 16 1/2 " drill press? I suspect the chuck is out of wack.

Thanks.

Lee Schierer
01-25-2006, 3:56 PM
I have seen an opinion or two that recommend against dial indicators in WW shops. The thinking being that the dust will compromise the gear trains in the dials sooner or later. Anyone have a thought on this?? I killed a pair of dial calipers in my shop due to wood dust. They lasted about 3 years. I switched to digital. I only use the dial indicator for set up and checking set up so it should last as long as I do.

The most accurate dial indicator I've seen are teh digital ones made by Mitotoyo. They run about $500 each. A bit pricey for my shop.

Wes Bischel
01-25-2006, 4:29 PM
Mike,

Depending on where you're located, there might be a metal supply place locally. If not, check out Enco - they have good prices on drill rod which is what I typically use since I've got it around.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0000000750

Wes

Clay Crocker
01-25-2006, 4:49 PM

I got this dial indicator set from LittleMachineShop.com for 17.95. I use more expensive dial indicators at work, and this one works just as well as those.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1782

Kent Fitzgerald
01-25-2006, 5:22 PM
where do I purchase a piece of round bar stock to check the run out on my Delta 16 1/2 " drill press?
Woodcraft sells a "Centering Bit" for this purpose.

Mike Monroe
01-25-2006, 6:10 PM
Clay, That's the very one I ordered.

Wes/Kent, Thanks for the info. much appreciated.

-Mike