PDA

View Full Version : Tail Vise - Brilliant!

Derek Cohen
04-02-2020, 3:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKZgyr22VyY

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Luter
04-02-2020, 7:59 AM
He's a clever boy.

William Fretwell
04-02-2020, 8:02 AM
Now he just needs a heavier bench!

michael langman
04-02-2020, 3:39 PM
I love watching stuff like this. Seems somewhere I remember something else being done with a scissor jack. Thanks for the post Derek.

steven c newman
04-02-2020, 3:45 PM
Wonder how that would work for a leg vise? Would be a bit better than the pipe clamp I now use....

Ron Selzer
04-02-2020, 4:20 PM
I love watching stuff like this. Seems somewhere I remember something else being done with a scissor jack. Thanks for the post Derek.

some people also use scissor jacks to make their work benches mobile by pressing down on a hinged board with casters to move it then backing the jack off to set it on the legs again
ron

Derek Cohen
04-02-2020, 8:50 PM

It caught my eye because I had been considering using a gas jack as a lift with my previous floor standing drill press.

Regards from Perth

Derek

michael langman
04-03-2020, 12:09 PM
some people also use scissor jacks to make their work benches mobile by pressing down on a hinged board with casters to move it then backing the jack off to set it on the legs again
ron

That's a good Idea to remember Ron, My planer sometimes comes crashing down onto it's legs with my homemade mobil base, when it is raised. I need more leverage on the short lever I use to raise and lower the base. The jack would definitely help.

michael langman
04-03-2020, 12:16 PM
It caught my eye because I had been considering using a gas jack as a lift with my previous floor standing drill press.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Drill presses can be quite awkward to move being so top heavy. Be nice if you could only raise it an inch or so just in case, while moving it.

But you now have the drill press of all drill press to have. :) .

Frank Pratt
04-03-2020, 12:16 PM
ron

That's what I did with mine. One scissor jack acts on both sets of wheels to raise the bench for moving.

Derek Cohen
04-03-2020, 12:43 PM
Well ... well ... well!

It seems that guy in the video ripped off a local Aussie woodworker, who posted the identical design 3 years earlier! And built it so much better. The first fellow not only appears to have copied the design, but even the build.

Here is Pask's video from three years ago ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=9mgrh8rankk&feature=emb_lo go

Give credit where credit is due.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom Bussey
04-04-2020, 9:04 AM
Interesting, but if a home shop doesn't have all the tools to make the vise it would cost more to get them than to buy the hardware.