PDA

View Full Version : Poll on laser experience and your first laser used

Clark Pace
04-01-2020, 11:59 PM
I'll start. One of the employees at company I worked wanted to go on vacation, and I was chosen to be his backup. So he showed be the ropes. That was in 1997, and it was a ULS laser. I don't remember the model. I do remember it was onr of the first ulslasers that had motorized up and down Z axis instead of a knob. Guess I was hooked as two years later I purchased my first uls laser.

Edward Ike Brown
04-02-2020, 9:21 AM
Epilog Summit, but really my first was Epilog Radius 100w, then a 24ex, and now we have Fusions/M2s. I am interested in cheaper alternatives though like Boss in the future. We were actually one of Epilogs first customers.

Bruce Volden
04-02-2020, 10:38 AM
LMI 25W, 11" X 32" bed,USA made. Had 2 of them.
Epilog 35W TT
Bought the LMI Jan of 1995.
Only one left is the TT----hoping that goes soon! Tired

Bruce

Josh Barclay
04-02-2020, 5:58 PM
I bought my first 30w mopa fiber laser in 2018. Then I bought a Trotec 80w co2 in 2019. I came from a CNC background doing 5 axis machining, still learning the fiber though:)

Clark Pace
04-02-2020, 6:25 PM
I bought my first 30w mopa fiber laser in 2018. Then I bought a Trotec 80w co2 in 2019. I came from a CNC background doing 5 axis machining, still learning the fiber though:)

I've been doing this for a long time, but I find myself still coming up with better way to do things.

Kev Williams
04-02-2020, 11:39 PM
My first laser was a 25 watt New Hermes Optima, which was a re-branded Universal. 12x18" table, had the knob :) -It was a 1997 model, it was my New Hermes/Gravograph rep's demo machine. It went more places than I've ever been. When it was about 2 years old he put a new tube in it (since NH was paying for it)... I bought it from him in late '01 or early '02. It wasn't long before I always had work for it, and had to get another laser, my LS-900... Meanwhile, I used the Optima until early 2014. Around 2006 I replaced the tube, only because I was able to get a new rebuilt for half price, it clocked in at 31 watts. After getting the big Triumph in 2013, my BIL was in need of another laser, so I sold him the Optima. He's used that machine every day since, engraving wood boxes. Other than the replacement tubes, it's had 2 belt changes and 2 X-axis roller wheel changes (last one before I sold it!). The thing is the Everready Bunny of lasers...

2nd laser was my LS-900, 40w 24x24 table, took delivery Dec. 7, 2004. It needed a new power supply, about 10 years ago? And I had to have the X stepper driver repaired in Oct. 2018, an X stepper wire wore thru the insulation and shorted, taking out the driver and a stepper motor eventually. No other problems in 15-1/3 years.

3rd laser was the big Triumph, 80w glass laser, 1300x900 non-moving table, got it here the day after Thanksgiving 2013. Had some soldered wire connections that I had to fix, and replaced the controller last year, otherwise it's still going strong.

4th laser is the GCC-Explorer I bought from Gary, got it here in October 2015- I've had to spray-clean the electrical connections on the motherboard, and replace the X rail bearing. Still on the original tube, still runs great...

5th laser was my 30w Triumph fiber, got it in June 2016. It had a scan head issue, was replaced on warranty, otherwise still works perfectly.

6th laser, my LS-100, which I bought from my Gravograph rep, like the Optima it was his demo machine. 35 watt machine, 18x12 table, with a Coherent laser that measured at 47 watts-! Got it while the LS-900's X driver was being repaired. It's been a great machine...

7th laser was my first e-bay 30w fiber laser I picked up a year ago December, $3400 to my door. I liked it so much I bought another one, my--

8th laser, a month later! The first is a desktop model with a 150 lens, I ordered an identical unit but all they had handy was the same thing in a cabinet model, which turned out to be a bonus-- for one I love the cabinet (thought it would just be in the way), and, the cabinet model came with 220 lens, which gave me some more variety.

Joe Pelonio
04-04-2020, 1:54 PM
In 2004 I bought an Epilog 45 Watt Legend 24TT, to supplement my sign business that I gave up in 2009 in the recession. It's now on the 3rd tube, but it's help up great and in fact I'm running a small $500 one-day job right now. It's engraving and cutting out 1/8" acrylic, with paintfill, parts for a manufacturer back east. I don't see any need for another as long as I can get parts for this one, since I'm just doing a few side jobs now. Oddly enough I have had to work weekends on the laser for a couple of weeks now, at the same time as my regular job (working from home now) has gotten really busy dealing with the effects of the virus.

Dan Hill
04-12-2020, 4:53 PM
I bought my first laser, Universal 30 watt in 1998. 5 years later I upgraded to a Universal 50 watt. That one served me well for 13 years. The one I am using now is a Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt. This one might outlast me as I am approaching 78. I'm not ready to give up yet though, I enjoy designing and making things too much.