PDA

View Full Version : Fingernail grind

Jim Hipp
04-01-2020, 12:34 PM
How can a fingernail grind be recognized by the appearance of it?

I thought that the sweep on the side of a fingernail grind didn't extent past the point that the grind terminated on the top of the flute.

The latest email ad from Woodcraft has me thinking I might be wrong.

roger wiegand
04-01-2020, 1:06 PM
I think fingernail grind means "looks vaguely like a fingernail". There's no international standards body to set and enforce a definition. (nor is there consensus among turners)

Don Stephan
04-01-2020, 7:54 PM
. . . which creates potential for huge frustration when so many soures mention or even suggest "a fingernail grind."

John K Jordan
04-01-2020, 11:29 PM
I think fingernail grind means "looks vaguely like a fingernail". There's no international standards body to set and enforce a definition. (nor is there consensus among turners)

That's putting it mildly! I find the shape of the grind doesn't matter all that much. I seem to turn equally well with a variety of grinds. Note that the shape of a grind with swept-back wings changes a lot with the depth and shape of the flute, especially with spindle vs shallow spindle/detail gouges.

The shape of a grind with swept-back wings also depends on the angle of the bevel and the settings on the jig you use. Look at this page from the Tormek manual:

BTW, the term "fingernail grind" always confused me. Am I the only one who never thought it looked like a fingernail?

JKJ

Reed Gray
04-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Yes, a confusing term. Some people's fingernails are short and blunt, and some are more long and pointy...... I think generally that term applies more to a grind like the 40/40, and less to the swept back/Irish/Ellsworth grinds...

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
04-02-2020, 1:59 PM
BTW, the term "fingernail grind" always confused me. Am I the only one who never thought it looked like a fingernail?

JKJ

I agree that it doesn't look at al like a fingernail....... Did wonder what fingernail "they" talking about.

I think the "regular" grind (NOT intending to start a regular grind discussion) looks more like MY fingernail.