PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop and Delta Tenoning Jig

Joe Beaulieu
03-31-2020, 4:23 PM
Hey All,

I have a Sawstop PCS, and recently (for the first time in a very long time) I broke out my Delta tenoning jig to cut some tenons. However I was concerned about the potential to set off the brake with the metal tenoning jig. I realize if it is used right no steel or conductive material will touch the blade, but I balked at doing it. Does it make sense to just build a wooden tenoning jig? If so - does anyone have plans for a nice wooden jig? I would love a nice plan.

I would really love to hear from anyone else using a Delta style tenoning jig on a Sawstop table saw, and if you have any concerns. I really appreciate your time!

Thanks

Joe

Howard Rosenberg
03-31-2020, 5:03 PM
Don't overthink it and just keep it simple. To quote part of your post, just make sure it is "used right."

Kyle Iwamoto
03-31-2020, 5:10 PM
I would put in a call to the service center. They are great and will know the correct answer.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. A large metal object near the blade could trigger? May not need to actually contact it.

Frank Pratt
03-31-2020, 5:18 PM
Do you balk at using your miter guide? The one sure way to not set off the brake is to just not ever turn on the saw.

I use an Incra miter guide all the time & the aluminum fence runs just a couple of millimeters from the blade.

Frank Pratt
03-31-2020, 5:19 PM
I would put in a call to the service center. They are great and will know the correct answer.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. A large metal object near the blade could trigger? May not need to actually contact it.

Wrong. It won't trigger the brake unless they touch.

ChrisA Edwards
03-31-2020, 8:18 PM
I have a Powermatic PM-TJ Tenoning Jig and cut a boat load of 2" deep tenons on my SawStop, no problem.

With power to your saw and with the motor off, touch the blade and see the red warning light come on. That indicates the brake circuit is active and a touch would have triggered the brake had the motor been running.

Now repeat, motor off, sliding your tenon jig past the blade, if you see the red light come on, you'll have a problem.

Mark Gibney
03-31-2020, 8:36 PM
Don't own a SawStop, but I've heard you can override the braking mechanism for some cut, such as what Joe wants to do.
Is this true?

ChrisA Edwards
03-31-2020, 8:38 PM
Don't own a SawStop, but I've heard you can override the braking mechanism for some cut, such as what Joe wants to do.
Is this true?

Yes you can.

Myles Moran
03-31-2020, 8:46 PM
I don't have a tenon jig (I use a dado) but lots of people in the sawstop user's group all report it works just fine. Just be careful where the metal bits are.

Matt Day
03-31-2020, 8:52 PM

You know what other large metal object is close to the blade? The table!!!

Go ahead and use the jig. Just double check it’s set correctly so it doesn’t hit the blade - that goes for both SS and non-SS. It’ll just cost you a lot more for the SS.

matt romanowski
04-01-2020, 9:01 AM
If you want a wood jig, I made one that Tom shows in this video and really like ithttps://youtu.be/SUkSoYexT3U if you want a wood version. It was easy to make and seems to work very well.