PDA

View Full Version : A Cedar Chinese Checker game

Frank Pellow
12-24-2005, 2:29 PM
Thursday evening It just did not seem to me like Christmas was in two days. In thinking about it a little more, I realized was that I was not hurrying to finish making some presents. So, I started a new project (a Chinese Checker game) for my granddaughter Isla. So, yesterday I was able to spend time in the shop under pressure to finish a gift and it felt much more like the happy Yule seasons of years gone by.

I used the template (34523) and special drill bit (41463) from Rockler (see: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=943&filter=34523). These had both been in my position for a few years, but I just never seemed to get around to using them.

For wood, I decided to use some 5/4" x 4" (dressed) Western red cedar scraps that I had collected after building a deck for friends in Seattle about 5 years ago. The wood was so nice that I just couldn't see wasting it, so when we moved back to Toronto about three years ago, the scraps came with us.

I further dressed the wood and glued 6 pieces together to make the board.

Here is a picture of the template on the glued up-wood. In the bottom left of the photo is a small scrap with some test indents drilled into it.

I also routed 6 marble storage groves for into the board using a 5/16 radius core box bit.

Two support "legs" were attached to the end of the boards using Miller Dowels (see: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,250,43217,48301&p=48301). It is the first time that I used these dowels and they are great -so mush easier to glue that regular dowels.

The drill left indents that were not a smooth as I would like (especially for such an expensive bit). The best thing I could find to smooth the holes was the grinding drill stone shown in the photo below. The radius of the stone was a little too large but it did an adequate job.

Frank Pellow
12-24-2005, 2:32 PM
Here are pictures of the board being finished (With Helmsman Clear Satin Spar Urethane -3 coats) and the board being taken for a test run.

28146 28147

I am happy with the result :) . It took me about 5 hours to make the board. Next time (and there will certainly be a few next times :) ), I should be able to cut the time down to about 3 hours.

Vaughn McMillan
12-24-2005, 2:53 PM
Looks great, Frank; real pretty wood. Nothing like a deadline to light a little fire under the ol' tail, huh?

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 9:39 AM
Looks great, Frank; real pretty wood. Nothing like a deadline to light a little fire under the ol' tail, huh?
Thanks very much Vaughn and, yes, I work much better when I have a deadline.

Cedar is my favourite wood in spite of its softness. It smelled so good in my shop when I was using my plane on the cedar while preparinging the wood. And there are so many interesting colours of cedar in the board -its almost a wood rainbow.

Jason Tuinstra
12-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Frank, that turned out great. Way to put those Festool's to work!

Jim Becker
12-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Beautiful job, Frank. I'm sure it will be an heirloom!

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2005, 2:46 PM
Frank, that is awesome. Great gift. I have been wanting to pick up that template and others from Rockler to make some games. Next year I am making some games myself. Excellent job!

Corey

Larry Fox
12-26-2005, 3:22 PM
Very nice board Frank - nice work.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-26-2005, 4:43 PM
Looks WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!

Bruce

Rob Horton
12-26-2005, 9:57 PM
Nice work Frank! That last picture you posted goes to show why a great many of us have this hobby. For moments just like that one. Thanks for posting Frank.

Matt Crew
12-26-2005, 10:49 PM
The last picture you posted is the reason I enjoy this season so much. Watching their faces light up.
It must warm your heart to know that what you've built with your own two hands will be loved so much.
Great job!

Frank Pellow
12-27-2005, 8:18 AM
... That last picture you posted goes to show why a great many of us have this hobby. For moments just like that one. ...

... Watching their faces light up.
It must warm your heart to know that what you've built with your own two hands will be loved so much.
Rob and Matt, you guys are right on with these observations. For me, nothing is as good as a child's joy resulting from things you have made for them or are making with them.

Jason, Jim, Corey , Larry, Bruce, Rob and Matt thank you for the compliments.