PDA

View Full Version : Social distancing -- The words and the actions

Dave Anderson NH
03-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Before jumping on my case hear me out.

Social contact is exceptionally important in times like these since humans are social animals. My quibble is with the term "social distancing", not the concept of keeping people PHYSICALLY apart. We have multiple technologies to allow safe social interaction: land line phones, cell phones, Skype, other computer based audio/video, and of course internet forums and email. Perhaps we need to rebadge the concept as "Physical Distancing." It is more accurate and just might get some of the scoffers aboard. Now more than ever it is important to encourage social interaction to maintain everyone's mental health.

Howard Pollack
03-30-2020, 10:39 AM
You are, of course, correct. Folks go nuts (a technical term) without social contact. Without physical contact they (we) get unhappy. Nuts is much worse. -Howard

Mark Bolton
03-30-2020, 11:08 AM
This perspective on semantic terminology has been going on all weekend and while its somewhat technically correct either term is pretty much self explanatory given the context of the current situation. Of course without Corona social distancing could be seen as implying we are all suppose to become Golum from lord of the rings. Pretty basic contextual deduction makes it clear what the "term" is meant to imply.

Given that most people now would say they hang out with someone "socially", or they go out for a drink "socially", or they gather around a barbeque or bonfire "socially", its pretty much plain as day with regards to its intent in the given context.

I pretty much loathe our current leadership but when I watch one of these press conferences I honestly and truly feel bad for people I simply dont like and dont agree with politically. To be expected to make every single statement you make in a pre-planned, quick report, or interview statement, is simply unrealistic for anyone other than a robot. Even with a bunch of richly compensated handlers and speech writers, you your never going to not make statements that couldnt have been made in a better way.

Distancing, whether it be social, physical, proximatal, choose your term.

Virtually every individual I speak with that has either worked remotely or has moved from an office space to now working remotely, is MORE social than they ever have been before. Conversations that use to be 15 email back-and-forths are now a Zoom, skype, facetime, video call. My SO is directly in this world. Someone who sat in her home office all day paper shuffling (but digital bits instead of paper) and is now having group skype/zoom/etc calls with numerous people all looking into each others eyes (via screen time), laughing, talking, supporting each other, and what not.

I think this argument about the term "social" is one of those PC (cant believe I as a liberal am complaining about a PC term) arguments that isnt taking into consideration the context of the scenario.

I dont see a lot of hermit level hunkering down in any of the conversations I have with customers and vendors across the country that would speak to people thinking these orders mean not being social.

Jim Becker
03-30-2020, 11:33 AM
I agree. But Professor Dr. SWMBO and I talked about this the other day...she's an epidemiologist and teaches the same to doctoral and masters candidates in the public health sector. The term "social distancing" that's being widely used comes from how the epi community talks about controlling spread of disease and is accurate in that context. But for the rest of us, it would have been nicer to have language that emphasised the physical separation without the "social" separation. We are indeed fortunate to live in a time where technology at least affords us the opportunity to "instantly" interact like this with friends, family and even strangers to satisfy our inherent need to socialize as human beings.

Frank Pratt
03-30-2020, 11:56 AM
The term 'social distancing' has bothered me right from the start. Socializing is now more important than ever, and we have the technology that makes it easy.

We haven't seen our kids or grandchildren for 2 weeks, which is driving me crazy. but every couple of days we do have a facetime session with each of them & it provides a much needed lift. Friday night my wife & I put on costume hats & called it 'Fancy Friday'. They thought we're weird, but that's nothing new & a great time was had.

Lee Schierer
03-30-2020, 12:07 PM
Our family participated in a multi-point zoom conference call yesterday. The call was very clear as were the videos of each participant. We plan to do more of this as this situation continues.

Mark Bolton
03-30-2020, 1:19 PM
The term 'social distancing' has bothered me right from the start. Socializing is now more important than ever, and we have the technology that makes it easy.

We haven't seen our kids or grandchildren for 2 weeks, which is driving me crazy. but every couple of days we do have a facetime session with each of them & it provides a much needed lift. Friday night my wife & I put on costume hats & called it 'Fancy Friday'. They thought we're weird, but that's nothing new & a great time was had.

My SO's folks are in-sane-level-grandparents.. like scary in-sane. Especially her mom, and thats one of the worst parts about this whole thing. It will likely mean months of zero contact as her mom (the grandmother) is in the danger zone for being infected. It sucks for sure. I guess the bonus is technology smooths the bumps. If we were 40-50 years ago I guess the bug never would have made it here, but if it came from here word would have taken WAY longer to get out, and the spread would likely have been several hundred fold worse.

There's always a bright side. Terminology never bothers me. No one every gets anything like that right.

Frank Pratt
03-30-2020, 1:25 PM
Terminology never bothers me. No one every gets anything like that right.

It's really just a very minor annoyance. I doubt anyone was very worried about the terminology of this. They picked something catchy, that people would remember. This one works for that.

We've played a very active role in helping to raise our grand kids since they were born, so this really is a shock to the system.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2020, 1:41 PM
I think socializing for most people is important. I think, while modern technology can be intrusive, misleading and detrimental, it can also be very advantageous. Too many people believe what they read on the internet as factual without checking the validity of their reading material or just realizing that certain sources are going to be biased on one direction or the other, IMO. For 17 months I was completely deaf. Just a month before my 61 birthday, I awoke deaf. You can ask my wife who will tell you that the hearing my cochlear implant provides me is an absolute miracle! The point, I make is technology can be useful or detrimental.

The terminology doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2020, 1:49 PM
Very true Ken, one thing I've noticed with elderly neighbours who are not on the internet is how isolated they are.

I have a couple of neighbours who come over and I start a Skype call with their grandchildren.

My neighbours complain that their grandchildren don't write or mail them photographs, of course they don't.

It's amazing how important the net is for entertainment, communicating with the government, or keeping involved in the community......Rod.

Mark Bolton
03-30-2020, 2:15 PM
There is one immutable fact... there is a horrid mindset that "old dogs cant learn new tricks"... They may well ride that horse until two things become paramount... finances, or grandchildren. You will see more "elder folk" who swear they cant deal with a tablet or a cell phone on the laptop managing finances. And when that flips to grandbabies you will see "tech" being adopted full form and maybe even with a little bit of fakery with regards to setting it up (of course that also feeds the initial motivation).

It wasnt that long ago that an instance like this would leave a young or old family completely dead, casketed, and in-the-ground, with not a single family member present to mourn or give a send-off. News would land to anyone who was on the list weeks or months later.

Kev Williams
03-30-2020, 2:33 PM
Good grief. Really? It's 2 freakin' words...

Ask the next guy you encounter in a wheelchair, "do you prefer crippled, handicapped, disabled, or physically challenged?" He's likely to tell you he prefers walking, and could care less what YOU want to call it. ( I recently asked my grandson-in-law, who severed his spine in a work accident in December, this question.)

Social Distancing. A brand new 2-word, easy to remember, say and understand phrase that the entire world already knows the meaning of: Please Keep 6' Apart From Others To Help Prevent The Spread Of Viruses. Fine by me...

Frank Pratt
03-30-2020, 4:30 PM
Good grief. Really? It's 2 freakin' words...

Ask the next guy you encounter in a wheelchair, "do you prefer crippled, handicapped, disabled, or physically challenged?" He's likely to tell you he prefers walking, and could care less what YOU want to call it. ( I recently asked my grandson-in-law, who severed his spine in a work accident in December, this question.)

Social Distancing. A brand new 2-word, easy to remember, say and understand phrase that the entire world already knows the meaning of: Please Keep 6' Apart From Others To Help Prevent The Spread Of Viruses. Fine by me...

You've completely missed the whole point of this thread. It's not really about the choice of a name, it's about how people can interact without catching the plague.

Mike Kreinhop
03-30-2020, 5:26 PM
I missed the point of the thread as well. When I saw the title, my first reaction was disbelief and a bit of anger. At this point in time, "social distancing" has taken a different meaning than the literal meaning, and it might be too late to put that pedantic genie back in the bottle. Maybe during the next pandemic, the giant brains can bring some wordsmiths to the meetings to think of a more accurate catch phrase. A different title to this thread would be more appropriate and less sensational-seeking.

Stewie Simpson
03-30-2020, 6:09 PM
A different title to this thread would be more appropriate and less sensational-seeking.

Agree with Mike.

Mark Blatter
03-30-2020, 6:30 PM
I already 'socially distance' myself since I find that I dislike most people. Not all, not that much of a curmudgeon yet, but still find I prefer the company of a small group of people and the rest can simply go bother someone else.

I have thought the term itself was pretty dumb. Call it what it is, spatial distancing. Creating space between you and all others. Perhaps having a more accurate term will make people think about it more and do a better job of it. You can still socialize, just do it from 6 feet away. Or over the phone, or internet. Inaccurate terminology actually contributes to the problem.

James Pallas
03-30-2020, 7:00 PM
I really don’t care about how it’s said, everyone needs to follow the recommendations. The people of this country will find a process to control or eliminate it. I can well remember going to the school one day in the early 1950’s with my Mom and sister. We were going to get shots. I surely did not want a shot at 7 years old. What I do Remember well was after my sister and I received the shots my mom was bawling in tears. I didn’t know then but I asked later. My mom told me it was tears of joy. She had been doing all she could to protect us. Children were dead or injured for life right in our neighborhood. Families were quarantined by their doctor with a sign on the door. I don’t know how they termed it then but it worked at least some. My Mom’s tears were tears of joy as described by her, that her children would be safe. Please just follow the request no mater how it’s worded.
Oh yes it was poliovirus

Darcy Warner
03-30-2020, 8:00 PM
I have spent every day the last 20 years trying to avoid contact with people, this is great they have to stay away from me now.

I walk to my truck, drive to my shop, pull inside, close the door, don't have to see a single person all day except for my family.

Hopefully this is over soon because my wife keeps trying to get in the house.

Mark Bolton
03-30-2020, 8:15 PM
I have spent every day the last 20 years trying to avoid contact with people, this is great they have to stay away from me now.

I walk to my truck, drive to my shop, pull inside, close the door, don't have to see a single person all day except for my family.

Hopefully this is over soon because my wife keeps trying to get in the house.

That's a romantic delusion to put forth with a dose of bravado... but my guess is the day it really came true and you were truly alone you'd be curled up in a ball whimpering like a a school girl missing your wife and children.

People who are true loners don't spawn.

Be careful what you wish for
It sounds great in a forum post but when its real.. or your shoveling dirt over top of them... well... then were back to the whimpering.

Darcy Warner
03-30-2020, 9:36 PM
That's a romantic delusion to put forth with a dose of bravado... but my guess is the day it really came true and you were truly alone you'd be curled up in a ball whimpering like a a school girl missing your wife and children.

People who are true loners don't spawn.

Be careful what you wish for
It sounds great in a forum post but when its real.. or your shoveling dirt over top of them... well... then were back to the whimpering.

As soon as they are done with HS, I am moving far away from anyone and will be throughly enjoying the life of a hermit.

I go two places on a normal day, to get get smokes and the hardware store.

Being alone wouldn't bother me in the least. I don't like to go out and do anything, don't like restaurants, never go to a bar, don't do gatherings, parties, not really a fan of holidays, etc.

I'm an antisocial butterfly.

Edwin Santos
03-30-2020, 9:52 PM
As soon as they are done with HS, I am moving far away from anyone and will be throughly enjoying the life of a hermit.

Ted Kaczynski's cabin is probably available.

Patrick Walsh
03-30-2020, 10:09 PM
Well we have one thing in common Darcy lol..

Same, give me enough work to put my head down all day and make enough money to pay my bills without worry and I’m happy as a clam to work my life away. Helps I love what I do.

I loath family get togethers. Really any get together for that matter and always have, concerts, sporting events, dinners out anything that require i interact with anyone for any amount of time. I can happily do the 8 hrs of work thing with coworkers but I’m just as happy to not.

When I was a kid it was actually painful being social. I had friends but wow we’re all misfit loaner latchkey kid types. I guess being social can Still be a bit painful at times, maybe not painful anymore but it 100% just feels like a chore. I can pretend well as to not let others know I’d rather be doing just about anything else but pretty much that’s exactly what it is. Shocks me to hear over and over form people that know me they would never know this is how I feel. Guess I do I good job doing what you gotta do.

I have no wife by choice “no interest” no kids the same reasonAnd never have had the slightest interest in either. I love my mom to death and will miss her when she is gone. I bet I crawl into a ball and want to die for a number of years When she goes. But I’m sure I’ll get through that then blissfully waste away alone till my own time comes. Same plan head for the hills and deep deep into them. Let my teeth fall out my dam head and walk deeper into the woods and die like a dog does.

I’m sure this makes many think wow “what a wack job this guy mist be miserable” but I’m really not the slightest. Im happy as a clam and love life to be honest. I Relish everyday and want to live as long as I can. Crap I milk every darn hour out a day I can going non stop from the time I get up till I fall into bed. With that said when my time comes so be it.

When I was young I figured something was wrong with me. Now older I understand this is what works best for me and how I enjoy spending my life so why fight it. Different strokes for differ folks And nothing makes anything wrong with me anymore than the overly social.. Honestly I look at people that have to be social like they need it like I need to be alone and I think to myself what others must think about me being so kept to myself. I see pure disfunction and weakness. Like right now all these dam people that just can’t ay freaking out and just chill out. I see that for most “normal” people I guess lol it is a very big deal. But one I only understand being I understand that’s the norm for the masses.

My theory I got this was early on in life being forced to move to the tune of 1-2 times a year till I was like 16. It just became normal to me to not get attached to people and find satisfaction in self reliance. Then when I did get attached I found most of the time people just could not be counted on anyway with the commitment I tend to give pretty much everything I do.

Will sound totally a]sad disfunction all maybe pathetic to some but I promise it works very very well for me.

This social distancing part of this is a pretty much a dream come true. The rest not so much for the obvious reason mostly being hurt and so fife ring for others.

I go two places on a normal day, to get get smokes and the hardware store.

Being alone wouldn't bother me in the least. I don't like to go out and do anything, don't like restaurants, never go to a bar, don't do gatherings, parties, not really a fan of holidays, etc.

I'm an antisocial butterfly.

Darcy Warner
03-30-2020, 10:12 PM

I have a few places picked out already, miles from anyone.

Patrick Walsh
03-30-2020, 11:03 PM
Lol..

That response makes me happy..

I have a few places picked out already, miles from anyone.

Mark Bolton
03-31-2020, 1:21 PM
Lol, Ive got 115 acres 2 miles from the paved road on a high ridge in the middle of no where... Interesting conversation and off topic. Patrick, way too much in your post is familiar but a lot is also kinda... well... is what it is..

Start saving for your great escape. Theres not many places to live a reclusive life in places like Kenmore Square unless you hit the big time lol.

Mark Bolton
03-31-2020, 1:22 PM

Probably one of the most priceless responses Ive read on SMC.. lol. Almost worth of print/frame...

Patrick Walsh
03-31-2020, 2:00 PM
Lol..

Kenmore square. So you must have spent some time in boston I suspect at some point.

I know, I know I know. It is a tall order a there are not so many places so remote left unless you have big bucks. Honestly without my motherhoods care for I’d be happy to be dropped in the middle of remote Alaska with a. Few simple tools and figure it out like whoever that guy was.

Patagonia is high on the list but I bet I have to settle for a middle ground mid cost Maine or very northern Vermont.

I have traveled extensive both as a pro cyclist and climber. I know these places still excites even a guy like I can afford but yeah your gonna be totally off the map and if anything happens on your own and totally screwed.

Sound like my idea of fun but it doesn’t matter as I’m a only child of a single mother and no way ill leave her behind.i can however convince her to go somewhere in the middle in the coming years,

Lol, Ive got 115 acres 2 miles from the paved road on a high ridge in the middle of no where... Interesting conversation and off topic. Patrick, way too much in your post is familiar but a lot is also kinda... well... is what it is..

Start saving for your great escape. Theres not many places to live a reclusive life in places like Kenmore Square unless you hit the big time lol.

Mark Bolton
03-31-2020, 2:31 PM
Lol..

Kenmore square. So you must have spent some time in boston I suspect at some point.

I know, I know I know. It is a tall order a there are not so many places so remote left unless you have big bucks. Honestly without my motherhoods care for I’d be happy to be dropped in the middle of remote Alaska with a. Few simple tools and figure it out like whoever that guy was.

Patagonia is high on the list but I bet I have to settle for a middle ground mid cost Maine or very northern Vermont.

I have traveled extensive both as a pro cyclist and climber. I know these places still excites even a guy like I can afford but yeah your gonna be totally off the map and if anything happens on your own and totally screwed.

Sound like my idea of fun but it doesn’t matter as I’m a only child of a single mother and no way ill leave her behind.i can however convince her to go somewhere in the middle in the coming years,

Born and raised nearby. Family from your two northern escape destinations. Again, very similar. Raised by a flock of women, not an only child but about as close as you can get (a very late in the game xmas or new years party, or winter power outage, gone awry well after the two "planned" children were already on the scene). Its both a blessing and a curse.

Living alone is a wonderful notion but when the move was made with (ex) wife to a very rural remote life, for all the right reasons, a very dear, and EXTREMELY reclusive friend who was not far west of you who had plowed through life completely alone and had done some pretty amazing things, said to me something to the extent of "you will be fine out there in the woods, because no matter how bad a day you have, no matter how hard it gets, you'll know that when you look over your shoulder,... your not alone". From the mouth of a card carrying, full fledged, recluse.

Proenekke is a life I could never pull off. Its inspirational yet really wild to me. Again in my mind you can probably pull that off in good conscience as you havent spawned.

Dont shut the door on a connection that could be phenomenal. Door may never open, but at least leave the door unlocked. An amazing connection with someone makes it a lot different.

Have you read any of the Nearing books? The Good Life? Loving and Leaving the Good Life?

Darcy Warner
03-31-2020, 2:50 PM

I am not mentioning my preferred spots, but the midwest does offer some wonderful sparsely populated areas for stupid cheap prices. Apparently no one likes 6 months of winter.

Patrick Walsh
03-31-2020, 2:59 PM
Hmm,

No I have not read the books and I’d say this is jus the time for such but after my work coming to a screeching halt the result of malfunctioning shaper I must now put my head down and get something done.

I hope I don’t paint a picture of a door shut as I’m old enough with enough various experiences both good and bad to know that exactly what you speak is truth. It’s not that I can’t enjoy the company as others quite the opposite. It’s just i don’t need company or companionship for the sake of either. I relationship regardless of how superficial or involved has to be of serious substance for me to motivate beyond the contentment I find on my own.

Your explanation of your friend is one I understand well. Nothing can keep one company like nature but until you have that experience and develop the deep connection with it only massive amounts of time can unveil you just can’t get it. I spend nearly ten years on the back of a bicycle 40-60hrs a week. The additional time spent traveling often solo from race to race was also significant. Then there is my background as a climber. When I climbed I pretty much worked just enough to sustain climbing five days a week. Often this meant most would be at work. As a result I spent much time in the mountains by myself. Is used to regularly run mom t Washington in the winter in under 2.5 hrs lot to summit and back. Same ice climbing ad rock climbing. If nobody was available I’d just go climb alone sans rope and all as that’s what it required. Nothing gets you in touch with nature like being plastered to a cliff without a rope and nothing between you and the ground but hundreds of feet of wide open air.

Honestly I always enjoyed my time climbing buy myself out in the mountains by myself. It’s not that I did not enjoy the very intimate partnership of a good climbing partner as I did that side by side. But through all those experiences i learnt as I have been again as a full time shop woodworker that I thrive when I’m alone.

I can do the not alone thing but it makes everything harder.

So what happened to your friend?

Born and raised nearby. Family from your two northern escape destinations. Again, very similar. Raised by a flock of women, not an only child but about as close as you can get (a very late in the game xmas or new years party, or winter power outage, gone awry well after the two "planned" children were already on the scene). Its both a blessing and a curse.

Living alone is a wonderful notion but when the move was made with (ex) wife to a very rural remote life, for all the right reasons, a very dear, and EXTREMELY reclusive friend who was not far west of you who had plowed through life completely alone and had done some pretty amazing things, said to me something to the extent of "you will be fine out there in the woods, because no matter how bad a day you have, no matter how hard it gets, you'll know that when you look over your shoulder,... your not alone". From the mouth of a card carrying, full fledged, recluse.

Proenekke is a life I could never pull off. Its inspirational yet really wild to me. Again in my mind you can probably pull that off in good conscience as you havent spawned.

Dont shut the door on a connection that could be phenomenal. Door may never open, but at least leave the door unlocked. An amazing connection with someone makes it a lot different.

Have you read any of the Nearing books? The Good Life? Loving and Leaving the Good Life?

Mark Bolton
03-31-2020, 3:12 PM
I am not mentioning my preferred spots, but the midwest does offer some wonderful sparsely populated areas for stupid cheap prices. Apparently no one likes 6 months of winter.

That was a major factor in my decision. Two massive snow storms back to back, and the overhead of the northeast, poof. Move on.

Mark Bolton
03-31-2020, 3:29 PM
Hmm, No I have not read the books

If they are no at your library (doors probably chain locked) PM me your address and I will amazon them to you lol.

So what happened to your friend?

The recluse? If thats the question, he wound up getting sued out of his vintage sawmill business due to a trespasser injury and last I heard went Xpat.

Patrick Walsh
03-31-2020, 3:39 PM
I see WV over to the right.

One of the bike races I used to do was through the Shenandoah Valley. I found some pretty remote way off the grid places on the back of bicycle there.

You had best be setup to survive finically though or have a very unique plan as so many of those places are so economically deprived it’s startling probably to many that have never seen it.

But you know of you really want to live this way $$ is not really part of the plan or the slightest motivation as it can’t be or the whole thing crumbles before you even start. The only way I see it working is for it to be one of these very remote far off economically deprived places. Sell here, go there, scale way back and fade off into bliss like Pink Floyd’s “Coming back to life” as I’m currently listening to.

Gotta be fully committed to suffering the consequences of the decision as I’m sure many things about it will be ruff.

Not to bring politics into it but my greatest challenge will be being so crazy literally borderline socialist. There are some things I just have not been able to learn to deal with and you can guess what it or they are without me saying it out loud.

But if you plan to isolate then I’m selling myself on it shouldn’t really come into play. But I suspect it will..

That was a major factor in my decision. Two massive snow storms back to back, and the overhead of the northeast, poof. Move on.

Mark Bolton
03-31-2020, 4:02 PM
I found some pretty remote way off the grid places on the back of bicycle there

There are many around the U.S. but the spreadsheet of it all factors in.

as so many of those places are so economically deprived

Most are not as deprived as you'd think but a lot of drop-outs dont factor in the cost of driving an hour or more to anything and think they will just work it out. But when the poop hits the fan, its a major expense for a screw, nut, bolt, gasket, or replacement part. Its a very romantic notion but it has its conundrums.

but you know of you really want to live this way $$ is not really part of the plan

This is a fatalistic, and detrimental flaw, to anyones notion of a bug-out. $$ will always be essential to "the plan"... if you think thats not true, or you can avoid that fact, your doomed to failure.

Sell here, go there, scale way back

Oh lord, scaling back will be essential. Thats at the root of the movement. The real chink in your armor is the "sell". If you dont have the ability to reach far outside your hermitage in some way shape or form, your sunk.

Gotta be fully committed to suffering the consequences of the decision as I’m sure many things about it will be ruff.

What most people dont realize IMHO is that the vast majority of your time will be spent keeping your existence possible. This will mean working at your place, growing, and preserving all the food you can when you can, endless maintenance, and so on. This will cut into your profitability time immensely. Now if you can conjur up some business model where your making $60K conference tables that get tractor and trailered and craned into an NYC or LA high rise, well screw it, drive to the grocery store. But the work you do on a daily basis, and your tooling restoration, will never be supported remotely unless you land there with a boat load of lottery winnings, or a golden parachute retirement pension package.

If you have to keep the property up.. maintain a remote, long, road/driveway, mud, home, garden, kill and process animals (know your vegan), and so on.. your time to make, market, and sell, work is extremely infringed upon. Not impossible.. a lot more fun with someone on the property your interested in bumping uglies with, but not impossible.

Its a very hard life. Again.. sounds romantic. No reason you cant give it a test run for year or two. Unfortunately that test run would probably happen when your in a mental tail spin after your mother goes by the by... not a good place to be when your trying to gauge the viability of a new endeavor.

Patrick Walsh
03-31-2020, 4:24 PM
That last part has me rolling on my shop floor as it’s totally true. Nah I’m about five years she will go with me to someplace In the middle. Somewhere o can get her to a hospital with good care. But also someplace I can have enough space between me and the rest of the world to not begrudge them and it. There has to be a middle ground. Mom and I are only 19 years apart but when she dies if I am still able bodied myself yeah I drag myself way off the grid and say bye bye. Till then it’s fantasy.

I understand what your saying about hard work in all this though. It’s clearly a rear end load of hard physical work. The good news is there pretty much is nothing I love more than hard work. Really and hard work. The kind that’s makes you say man that sucked! Now I don’t want to do that kind of hard work to open anyone’s pocket hence being a cabinet maker but if to keep myself alive I have a feeling I’d really get off on it.

I have forever and always vociferously made my opinion be know that “I think the masses got it all wrong” and I’d much rather fight it out nature to survive. That we really screwed the pooche making this whole thing about stuff more stuff money and more stuff. As you suggest, caring for the property, taking care of the garden succumbing to maybe eating animals “yuk and I’ll wanna skit my wrists out of guilt on that one”. I get It it’s hard work but so isn’t maintaining life in a metropolis. It’s just a very different kind of hard and one that leaves me pretty lacking in fulfillment and at times emotionally exhausted.

You are right though. I could go do that and find it’s totally not for me. Then what man, that will be something lol won’t it ;)

Mark Bolton
03-31-2020, 4:56 PM
we really screwed the pooche making this whole thing about stuff more stuff money and more stuff

https://smile.amazon.com/Ishmael-Novel-Daniel-Quinn/dp/0553375407/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1585687955&sr=8-1

Keith Outten
04-01-2020, 12:31 AM
This thread is titled "Social distancing -- The words and the actions"
The topic is about the definition and use of the particular term and the topic has evolved into personal life choices.