PDA

View Full Version : LightBurn and Cameras

James Minick
03-30-2020, 1:57 AM
Due to issues, the LightBurn folks are out of cameras.
Don't let that stop you!
The camera addition is the best thing since pockets on shirts!

I have a 100w Chinese Laser, red & black, Ruida.
Bought a $70 Spinel 5MP 160Deg 160FOV, built a mount from acrylic.

Do it

429119 429121429120

Steve Utick
03-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Due to issues, the LightBurn folks are out of cameras.
Don't let that stop you!
The camera addition is the best thing since pockets on shirts!

I have a 100w Chinese Laser, red & black, Ruida.
Bought a $70 Spinel 5MP 160Deg 160FOV, built a mount from acrylic.

Do it

One of the biggest issues before was that you couldn't set the resolution on most cameras from the software, and they defaulted to their lowest resolution. However, in the latest version of the software (0.9.11) they have written their own camera control software, and it now allows you to select resolution on many cameras, hence fixing the issues and allowing you to use a broader range of cameras. The software just keeps getting better and better.

John Lifer
03-30-2020, 2:38 PM
Why? To monitor it? I'm sitting 3 feet away from mine. And being in my basement, I won't leave it to go upstairs. To align something? Ain't happening, way too much waste that way. I don't care what your resolution is.
So again, why?

Doug Fisher
03-30-2020, 11:09 PM
Yes, the camera rewrite was a much-needed upgrade. The option for a higher resolution camera from just about any manufacturer and basic manual camera exposure controls are appreciated.

Mike Null
03-31-2020, 11:25 AM
James
i like it! I don't have a need but I can envision a number of useful applications.

Steve Utick
03-31-2020, 11:41 AM
Why? To monitor it? I'm sitting 3 feet away from mine. And being in my basement, I won't leave it to go upstairs. To align something? Ain't happening, way too much waste that way. I don't care what your resolution is.
So again, why?

With LightBurn and the camera, you can use it to align substrate to a project. Open the pic of your substrate on the table, and move the engraving image over top of it to position is the main reason it was designed from my understanding.

Doug Fisher
03-31-2020, 12:17 PM
Along those lines, the new "print and cut" feature is pretty amazing for alignment and doesn't even require a camera. Check it out if you haven't tried it yet.

James Minick
03-31-2020, 9:00 PM
Thanks! It makes duplication of parts a snap.
I was skeptical at first, but saw a pretty good demo with a pistol grip design.
Figured I would give it a shot. I thought I had purchased a camera with too wide FOV, but turns out that the calibration routine pulled it together.
I say a worthwhile upgrade for LightBurn users.

Clark Pace
04-01-2020, 1:16 AM
So again, why?

Very nice reply John! Not really. Kind of snarky if you ask me. I use my camera to reduce looking at the beam at all. Even if you are 3 feet away you can protect your eyes by looking at the monitor instead of peering into the laser. Eye protection! Just a thought.