PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Power Feeder Size

Pat Brubeck
03-29-2020, 4:35 PM
Has anyone used a Grizzly 1/4 Hp Power Feeder (G4176) with the “Quick Holder Mounting Bracket” on a table-saw? I’m not sure if a 1/4 Hp unit will have sufficient torque and if the Grizzly bracket will be adequate to keep the feeder secure.
Thanks,
Pat

Rod Sheridan
03-29-2020, 6:10 PM
1/4 HP is fine, the issue with the small feeders is hold down force and rigidity.

I use a feeder on my saw.

A small feeder is still going to be better than a person.

Make sure that your fence can withstand the forces....Rod.

Pat Brubeck
03-29-2020, 6:34 PM
Thanks Rod. I have a StopStop - the fence is pretty solid.
I assume you tapped holes into the cast iron table?
Thanks again.
Pat

Gordon Stump
03-29-2020, 6:39 PM
I use the Grizzly 1/4" hp feeder with the quick holder on a Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw. I rip 8/4 and 9/4 walnut with it. No problem. The quick holder is a beast. No flex. 1/2" plate steel.

Rod Sheridan
03-29-2020, 6:42 PM
Hi Pat, my saw has a feeder on a flip up bracket as it’s a saw/shaper.....Rod

Pat Brubeck
03-29-2020, 7:12 PM
Thanks Gordon - along with Rod, that completely answers my question!
pat

Ron Selzer
03-29-2020, 9:06 PM
Will the feeder trip the SawStop??
picture of how to mount feeder in relation to blade would help a lot
thanks
Ron

William Hodge
03-29-2020, 9:10 PM
I have a Delta 1/8 hp mini feeder that I use on a 3 hp Powermatic 66 and a 5 hp Powermatic shaper. It does fine if the wood is milled. I wax the tables with gulf wax, and clean the wheels with isopropyl alcohol. On a saw, the feeder needs a shop vac crevice tool jammed between the first and second wheels, right over the blade, to prevent sawdust build up on the wheels. The only problem with the little feeders is the lack of reach. That little feeder holds surprisingly well. I just ran handrail on the shaper using a 4" diameter x 3" tall molding head, and the wood ran fine. About the only thing I need a heavier feeder for on the shaper is raised panels. I have another big feeder.

The 1/4 hp feeder should be heavy enough for most ripping.

On a saw, I put the first and second feeder wheels straddling the blade, toed in 1/4" towards the outfeed. The blade is 1/8" higher than the wood is thick. The rollers are very close to the blade.