PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-580 planer -

Gregg Mason
12-24-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm really in need of a planer. I'm finding I need one on just about every project.

My budget is in the $350. - 450.00 range right now(or should I just wait untill the budget goes up, could be a while). I've been leaning towards a refurbed dw735, or maybe a dw734. I like the idea of the 3 blades.

But now I just saw a Delta 22-580 for $359.98 on amazon, with Free shipping. I've seen mixed reviews on this model, mostly feeding issues.

Any owners of the 22-580 here that can either confirm or deny my concerns ? I trust the Creekers opinions more than any others I see on the web.

Also, does anyone know if Grizzley has any new models coming out, in this price range

Thanks,

Gregg

Ken Shoemaker
12-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Gregg,
I've had one for about six months now. I've run a tons of red oak through it since I got it. I've never changed the blades nor do I need to at this point. I've never had any problems at all. In fact, I would buy it again if needed. I don't think you can go wrong with it for the money.

Good luck with your decision.... Ken

scott spencer
12-24-2005, 1:21 PM
Hi Gregg - I think either the Delta or the DW's should be fine. I tend to buy the better value with these things. If a refurbed 735 were close in price to a 22-580, I'd grab it. It has the chip ejector which is a nice feature, especially if you don't have a DC.

The only feed issues I've ever had with my 22-580 were quickly remedied by cleaning the rollers and waxing the table. That's normally a user maintenance issue. Otherwise I've been happy with it.

http://www.epinions.com/content_156115177092

Have a Merry Christmas! :)

Wes Bischel
12-24-2005, 1:29 PM
Gregg,

I have this model as well and though I haven't run a huge amount of wood through it, it has worked flawlessly. I would watch for a sale, or a combo deal (with dust shoot) on the Delta. I got mine from Lowes during a closeout for $230 - Later, Amazon was running a special with the dust chute for something like $259 with free shipping. Just FYI

Wes

Gregg Mason
12-24-2005, 2:27 PM
Gregg,

I have this model as well and though I haven't run a huge amount of wood through it, it has worked flawlessly. I would watch for a sale, or a combo deal (with dust shoot) on the Delta. I got mine from Lowes during a closeout for $230 - Later, Amazon was running a special with the dust chute for something like $259 with free shipping. Just FYI

Wes

Lowes still has it(22-580) on the site for $447.00 :( . Wonder why they had it as a closeout item ? That was a great price you got. I'll watch for the specials. Thanks.

Steve Stube
12-24-2005, 2:28 PM
I got mine some 15 months ago and it still looks pretty waiting to meet the first board. I thought I did alright at $218.47 but a month later a fellow ww was over, saw mine and did even better still applying an additional $25. Delta tool discount check to his purchase at Lowes.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11874

I was determined to "make" a dust chute for it (but with quick disconnect) and Wes Bischel supplied all the detail I needed to do that unfortunately I could not find the time so 2 weeks ago when the Johnson levels were the buzz I included the Delta chute with one of my orders from Amazon @ $19.99. I'm one step closer to using the planer - does that count?

That is some review that Scott's link points to, maybe just the push I need to put this machine into service. Merry Christmas

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 2:33 PM
The 22-580 has a few years under it's belt and is a nice planer. So is the Dewalt. I think if I had to choose between the two I might opt for the yellow machine as it's a heavier tool built more like a stationary planer. (But it also REQUIRES you wear good hearing protection...it's more of a screamer than any of the others--although they also require hearing protection). But either one will do a great job.

john whittaker
12-24-2005, 3:26 PM
Gregg, I have the 22-580. I exceeded my expectation.

Mark Carlson
12-24-2005, 4:24 PM
I've had mine for a couple of years. Its a good planer. Knive changes are really easy. I don't buy delta anymore but I've been happy with this planer.

Joe Mioux
12-24-2005, 5:16 PM
I also bought this the 22-580 last year on Lowes low $229.00 sale.

There is nothing I can say that has been said already. It is a very good planer. After owning it for over a year, I still love to run my hand of a freshly planed board. There is something about taking a rough sawn board and turning it into a silky smooth board and then appreciating the color, the figure and the grain of that newly processed board.

The 22-580 is a winner.