PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 71 blades

Robert Flowers
03-28-2020, 8:05 PM
I picked up a 71 at a antique mall for $34.00. who ever had it before me ground the blade to a 45 degrees and there not enough steel left to correct it. Been looking on the bay and these people have lose their minds. The asking price for the blades are from $36.00 to over $50.00 i could under stand if it was a Hock.
Does anyone know of a alternate? Does anybody make a reproduction? I know Lee Valley won't fit its too tall.

Jim Koepke
03-28-2020, 8:10 PM
I know Lee Valley won't fit its too tall.

There may be a couple of ways to nullify your statement.

One is to turn the adjuster nut upside down. This adds a bit of height for the taller blade.

Second is to add a thin wood base. This actually makes the base less likely to mar the work.

jtk

steven c newman
03-28-2020, 9:48 PM
I have MADE my own cutters....using Allen wrenches as a starting point...
grinding, dunk in a cup of water, grind a bit more, dunk again...
I used a Dremel to cut the notch. Also cut things to length...as I had an OEM 1/2" cutter as a pattern..
On the narrow 1/4" cutter, I had to neck things down...Allen wrench was a 5/16"...
Then sharpen to about a 30 degree bevel....and put it to work....
Mine is a Stanley No. 71-1/2....takes the same cutters as the 71....I paid just under $55 for the plane and parts to rehab it...Allen wrenches I had....I did make a case to store mine in..
case closed?

You MIGHT see what old Allen wrenches you have.....hex shafts need to be ground into a square section...with one corner of the square fitting into the V groove for the cutter on the plane...opposite corner with then point out towards the cutting edge.

Robert Flowers
03-28-2020, 10:41 PM
I though about using Allen wrenches, just trying to see whats out there.

Robert Flowers
03-28-2020, 10:48 PM
Jim
There may be a couple of ways to nullify your statement.

One is to turn the adjuster nut upside down. This adds a bit of height for the taller blade.

Second is to add a thin wood base. This actually makes the base less likely to mar the work.

I have a lee valley 1/4" blade, even with the nut turned upside down the blade is still too tall, though about cutting a new notch in it, but don't have a small grinding wheel. But i haven't though about adding a base that may work. Thanks

Jim Koepke
03-29-2020, 12:11 AM
But i haven't though about adding a base that may work. Thanks

You are welcome.

My base is about a quarter inch thick, ymmv.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
03-30-2020, 6:49 AM
I picked up a 71 at a antique mall for $34.00. who ever had it before me ground the blade to a 45 degrees and there not enough steel left to correct it. Been looking on the bay and these people have lose their minds. The asking price for the blades are from $36.00 to over $50.00 i could under stand if it was a Hock.
Does anyone know of a alternate? Does anybody make a reproduction? I know Lee Valley won't fit its too tall.

The Lee Valley blades will fit (with the height adjustment nut inverted) and they designed their router plane for this exact scenario.

1/2" straight is $17 with free shipping. You can't go wrong.

Nicholas Lawrence
03-30-2020, 7:52 AM
I have a lee valley V blade in my router right now. No other adjustments besides flipping the adjuster nut.

Eric Danstrom
03-30-2020, 1:06 PM
My 71 fits Veritas blades with the adjuster nut upside down. The 71 is from the 50's so perhaps that makes a difference.