PDA

View Full Version : Gouges

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2005, 10:46 AM
I have a question on gouges as there are roughing, bowl and spindle gouges. I got my set from PSI. It came with a 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" spindle gouges. Should a guy get a roughing and bowl gouge? If so what size would you recommend? I will probably be doing mostly pen, spindle and bowl turning. Thanks.

Chris Barton
12-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi Bernie,

I would get roughing and bowl gouges but, they will only be two of a fleet of future gouges you will want. A 1/2" bowl gouge is a good start. Roughing gouges are usually around an inch in cross section size and in my opinion, the important part is how they attach to the handle and how big their tang is. Bigger and beefier is better.

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Bernie -I'll bet that the 3/4" spindle gouge is really a roughing gouge. If so, you're all set in the roughing gouge department. With a 3/8" and 1/2" spindle gouge you're all set there too. For a bowl gouge, I recommend that you start with a 3/8" one preferably with an Irish grind (essentially same as an Ellsworth grind).

For what's it's worth, not too many tools are ambidextrous - they work best only on spindles or one bowls; but not both. Suggest you concentrate on spindly stuff to start for no reason other than to get comfy with the machine, sharpening, tool control, and the extremly important Weishapl Factor.

Joe Tonich
12-24-2005, 11:52 AM
and the extremly important Weishapl Factor.

Well.........ya lost me on this one.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Joe - That was an attempt at being polite with respect to his knowing what he's doing.:D

John Miliunas
12-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah Joe, you know. The Weishapl Factor. For instance, when the rest of you guys get on the lathe, it's the Turning Technique. If'in you want a demo on the Weishapl Factor, you need to come watch me!:rolleyes: I've been planning on putting out a DVD on it, as I'm quite adept at it. But alas, I've not been able to find a camera person with enough guts to do it!:eek: :D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 12:14 PM
So, John. Does this mean that (if you can find a daring cameradude) that your bloopers tape would actually be some really good stuff?

John Miliunas
12-24-2005, 1:07 PM
So, John. Does this mean that (if you can find a daring cameradude) that your bloopers tape would actually be some really good stuff?

Not sure about the bloopers but, I'd bet it could serve as the proverbial text book example of how it's NOT done!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 3:22 PM
A roughing gouge is a must for starting out spindle work from squares...it should never be used for face-plate oriented work. (Grain perpendicular to the axis of the spindle) For bowl work, you do need a bowl gouge...and I also suggest you learn to use an Irish/Ellsworth grind. The 1/2"-5/8" is my size of choice and it works equally well for both large and small bowls and vessels. (The reason I wrote the size that way is that Americans and Brits measure the gouges differently...what the US calls a 1/2" gouge is a 5/8" gouge over the pond) You may also want a heavy bowl scraper relatively soon, although I really suggest you learn how to hollow with the gouge including finishing cuts. Bill Grumbine's video is an excellent help with that if you don't have a local mentor to help you out.

For the record, most sets are largely spindle turning oriented...hence the need to buy additional tools for bowls and vessels.