PDA

View Full Version : OT- Garage door openers

danny haber
07-10-2003, 8:06 AM
I have had a Sears garage door opener for the past 17 years which has worked fine until the last few months. The senseing mechanism that you can manually control from the motor unit for the upward and downward travel doesn't sense properly any longer. I would think that this is telling me that a new garage door opener is in order. My question is this. Should I just go ahead and buy the same one or a similar model from Sears as I am assuming that all the holes (like in the garage door) that are there now will probably be able to be used with the new opener along with he other existing plates etc. Or doesn't it really matter and should I just get a Genie screw drive and start fresh. The old chain drive has worked well for me and along with the outside keypad which I loved but has been rendered useless by my dilema,I would just like to hear your valued opinions. Thanks as always...Danny

Don Farr
07-10-2003, 8:32 AM
Danny, While I'm not an expert on garage door openers, I can give you my two cents worth.
If it was me and I thought I knew what was defective on it, I would locate the manual and see how much the part would cost. If reasonable replace the defective part, clean up the tracks, clean and lube the chain and see if you could get another 17 years out of it.
If you have the model number you can probably download the manual off the internet.

If you insist on a new unit I would stay with a chain drive. The screw drive units are very noise. I gave my daughter two of those for Christmas a couple of years ago and we were not very happy with them.

Also, if you plan on installing it yourself, it is a pretty good job. The tension on the big springs can be dangerous.

Ken Garlock
07-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi Danny. When we built our house last summer, I bought the garage doors from "Overhead Door" company. Their Phantom belt drive opener is fantastic. You can stand under the opener and whisper a conversation without missing a word. Another neat feature is that it slows down about 4 in. from the concrete and gently touches the floor - no slam dunk bang. They are good, but expensive.

If you don't want to go top-shelf, consider a top of the line Genie. I have had good experiences with them in the past, they are good reliable machines, IMO.

Opinion is worth what you paid. :)

Keith Hall
07-10-2003, 10:43 AM
I have had a Sears garage door opener for the past 17 years which has worked fine until the last few months. The senseing mechanism that you can manually control from the motor unit for the upward and downward travel doesn't sense properly any longer. I would think that this is telling me that a new garage door opener is in order. My question is this. Should I just go ahead and buy the same one or a similar model from Sears as I am assuming that all the holes (like in the garage door) that are there now will probably be able to be used with the new opener along with he other existing plates etc. Or doesn't it really matter and should I just get a Genie screw drive and start fresh. The old chain drive has worked well for me and along with the outside keypad which I loved but has been rendered useless by my dilema,I would just like to hear your valued opinions. Thanks as always...Danny

Danny, you can replace the old Sears unit with a new unit very easily. Sears went to a square rail and the T-rail
will have to be changed. The new unit will mount up to the old brackets easily. Since the door is a separate installation from the opener, the springs are not a factor or concern. You can buy an opener with the remote keypad that will be compatible with the new unit. It's a piece of cake. :p :p Good luck, Keith

Greg Daves
07-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Also, if you plan on installing it yourself, it is a pretty good job. The tension on the big springs can be dangerous.
Don,

One of my tension springs broke recently, and I have seen them replaced before and done some research on the web concerning replacement. Any pointers you could give me, as the warnings on the web about replacing these things yourself kind of scares me. I would appreciate any of your wisdom in this area.

Thanks,
GD

Don Farr
07-10-2003, 1:33 PM
Gregg, As I started out my previous post "I'm no expert" and it has been to many years since I replaced a door. I would be concerned that I might tell you something that was incorrect and you might get hurt.
Maybe there is someone else on SMC that has had more recent experience and can help you.

By the way, I'm surprised that Ken hasn't moved this. It's in the wrong forum.

Ken Salisbury
07-10-2003, 6:40 PM
Please read the Saw Mill Creek Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php ) which require a first and last name to remain a member. You can e-mail me (ken@klsal.com)the name information and I will have your registration information updated.

Thanks in advance