PDA

View Full Version : Out in the shop, I found my . . .

lowell holmes
03-25-2020, 3:53 PM
Veritas card scraper jointer edger. Being an old dog, I did not remember its purpose.

I will put it with my card scrapers. The Lee Valley site had a picture.

George Yetka
03-25-2020, 4:27 PM
I didnt realize they made something like this,I just shoved a file in a small dado in a piece of oak

Scott Winners
03-26-2020, 1:54 AM
I clamp my scrapers really low in a metal working vise with wood jaws so I can't get too far out of square with the file, and then use a known square block on the stones to keep the body of the scraper square to the stone. You can use the rule of 60s for burnishing angle too, clamp a block of wood of known thickness in a vise with the scraper edge a measured distance above the wood block, then rest the burnisher on the edge of the scraper and the far edge of the wooden block.

Sorry for the long post, scrapers are the one thing I can sharpen well. Or better than anything else. I am confident Derek Cohen would sniff were I to hand him one of my scrapers.

Jim Matthews
03-26-2020, 7:11 AM
I am confident Derek Cohen would sniff were I to hand him one of my scrapers.

Only if you've produced fine powder from an exotic species, forbidden in Oz. "Bois de Rose" perhaps...

lowell holmes
03-26-2020, 6:18 PM
I found the card holder, so all is good. If you put a curl on the scraper you can make almost translucent shavings.

Jim Koepke
03-26-2020, 8:00 PM
Veritas card scraper jointer edger

Searching the Lee Valley web site didn't reveal what this mysterious item might be.

My imagination is running wild.

Is it possibly a scraper burnisher?

This one is NOS from a hardware store liquidation. My other one is a Buck Brothers.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-26-2020, 9:03 PM
It looks like a tool to dress a beveled edge on a knife to me. I have used screwdrivers to do that.

https://www.rockler.com/crown-burnisher