PDA

View Full Version : December 24, 1968

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2005, 9:04 AM
You'll see in the photos below how we spent Dec. 24th, 1968.

It's a story I've told many times and it still amazes me:

It's mid-October 1968 and I'm age 19 and in the back seat of a '66 Chevy guarding the beer as my drinking buddies and I cruise the country roads consuming the Bud. We are partying as I'm soon to leave for Navy bootcamp. I tell them "You know what I'd like? A date with a blonde with a good personality!" In the dark I can see the silhouette of their two heads turning towards each other. I hear a whispered message between them and then Tom announces "Okay! Where do you want to meet her?" "Mr. Quicks tomorrow night 7:00 pm "I reply "Dinner and a movie".

The next night a 64 Merc pulls up beside my '64 Chevy Impala convertible in the parking lot of Mr. Quick's hamburger joint (No we didn't go to the hamburger joint for dinner...but if I'd have suggested it she'd done it happily...Just her good nature) A young blonde divorcee with 2 kids......3 days later and 3 dates later I asked her to marry me. 11 days after we met I sign my checking and savings account over to her and I depart for US Navy bootcamp. Two days after arriving home from bootcamp, we were married........ Here's the photos to prove it Tyler!

That was 37 years ago....I adopted those 2 kids ....we had one more.....I nearly lost her to cancer 13 years ago......got scared again a couple of weeks ago though that turned out to be some unrelated symptoms that coupled together would make one think it was a heart attack. Our meeting and quick wedding should have by all odds ended in divorce and nearly did a couple of times as we both had a lot of growing up to do. Now, I can't imagine my life without her.....I've had to consider this possibility twice ...the thought of it scares me beyond belief.......

I often say "God looks out for fools, babies and drunks! Some of us are lucky enough to qualify in all 3 classifications!" I'm truly the luckiest man alive!

This evening we'll celebrate our 37th anniversary at dinner with our oldest son and his family!

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Heathy New Year to everyone at SMC!

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 9:42 AM
A touching story Ken.

So touching that your Dark Side Repreive has been extended until the honeymoon is over.

Ernie Nyvall
12-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Nice story Ken and from the pictures, I can tell that you are a lucky man.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks Andy! I was planning to buy a lathe someday....Now if SWMBO sees this she'll say "the honeymoon" isn't over.....NO LATHE!:eek: :D

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks Andy! I was planning to buy a lathe someday....Now if SWMBO sees this she'll say "the honeymoon" isn't over.....NO LATHE!:eek: :D

Seems to me that either way - you win.

Which is what i was thinking when I wrote that. Happy Christmas!

Dennis Peacock
12-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Congrats Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya'll have a great time.

Tim Morton
12-24-2005, 12:42 PM
great story!!! ( from an ex-sailor who got married a week before shipping out on a westpac cruise):D

Dave Ray
12-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Ken, Happy Anniversary and Merry Christmas. May you have many more togetther. God sure loves his sailors, great story. Makes one a believer all over again.

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 1:07 PM
Wonderful story, but you are too young to have been married 37 years! LOL! :) (HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, KEN!!!)

John Miliunas
12-24-2005, 1:12 PM
Ken, Merry Christmas to you, your bride and your whole family! As for the anniversary, may you folks have many, many more!!!:) :cool:

Martin Shupe
12-24-2005, 4:53 PM
From one sailor to another, congrats to your and your fine wife. There's nothing like a Navy wife.

Joe Mioux
12-24-2005, 5:23 PM
Ken congratualtions! I suppose this story took place not to far from me. May you and Mrs. have 37 more.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2005, 5:29 PM
Joe.....it happened at Pontiac, Illinois...some 150 miles north of Flora. Thanks for the well wishes!

John Bailey
12-24-2005, 5:30 PM
Ken,

You are, indeed, a lucky man, and, I'll tell you what, your bride is a lucky, and good lookin', lady. Best wishes to both of you and may you have many more.

John

Kent Cori
12-24-2005, 7:29 PM
Great Christmas story Ken. The outcome of that chance meeting clearly has been a great one for you and your family. Ya done good!!

Merry Christmas!

Bill Stevener
12-24-2005, 7:33 PM
Well Ken,
From the guy just south (some) of Pontiac, Happy Anniversary and a Very Merry Christmas.
The photo sure shows that you were the lucky one. A little note to the bride, she should let you get a new lathe, then you will be out in the shop all the time and she will become the lucky one.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Davenport
12-24-2005, 8:32 PM
Merry Christmas from a "Retired Sailor" who was married in 1967. It's hard to believe that we were once that young!!

Ron Fritz
12-24-2005, 8:58 PM
Ken; thanks for a great story. Congratulations. Ron

Ken Fitzgerald
12-25-2005, 1:57 AM
Bill...She'll let me have anything I want ...including the lathe...just have to budget for it!

Mark Singer
12-25-2005, 2:39 AM
Ken,
Big Congradulations! Wondrful story! Great years....keep it going!

Vaughn McMillan
12-25-2005, 4:50 AM
Great story, Ken. Merry Anniversary and Happy Christmas, and here's to at least 37 more.

- Vaughn

Bill Stevener
12-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Ken, fully understand the budget thing. First one has to save and put aside some for the toys. Then it hits you, again one has to save in order to put some gas in the vehicle to go and get the toys. Then ------------

Merry Christmas Ken.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jerry Clark
12-25-2005, 3:39 PM
Great story Ken, Thanks for sharing! Life is great!:D

Mario Brissette
12-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Great story Ken.

I wish you great time with your family. Life's problems bring people much closer and stronger.

In my case, we receive a great gift this year. Our son, Antoine(French name of Anthony) was born the december 6th, exactly 5 years, day by day, after I met my girlfriend. We enjoy each day of the life with him.

A story I'll tell for the rest of my life !

Life is full of great stories !

http://membres.lycos.fr/diver23/image/mortaise/antoine_noel.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
12-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Congratulations Mario! Life is truly great!

John Hart
12-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Congratulations Ken on the beginning and follow-through to a wonderful life. Sounds like it was pretty wild back then....like with most of us. Sounds like you've made the most of everything. I tip my hat!