PDA

View Full Version : Grinder

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2005, 8:54 AM
What grit do you use on a grinder for sharpening your lathe chisels? Going to Woodcraft Monday as I see they have Wolverine Sharpening unit on sale but was needing info on what grinding wheels to get. Thanks.

Dick Parr
12-24-2005, 9:43 AM
Bernie I use a 60 grit and a 120 grit. Woodcraft has had a slow speed grinder on sale for $69 that comes with the wheels already on it. It will cost ya about $30 a wheel anyways. Might want to look at it while you are their.;)

John Hart
12-24-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm with Dick on this one...60 and 120. I use the 60 when I want to alter the shape...120 for my finish grind.

Bob Noles
12-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Bernie,

Do like me and go ahead and get the grinder while on sale. The wheels will cost you that much anyhow plus you will have the slower speed you wanted. The Woodcraft grinder is the most popular unit among turners.

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Bernie - What them guys said.

But here's one more thing. Have you determined if you'll be free styling or using a jig? I wholeheartedly endorse the use of a jig.

Bob Noles
12-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Bernie - What them guys said.

But here's one more thing. Have you determined if you'll be free styling or using a jig? I wholeheartedly endorse the use of a jig.

Andy....

From inside information I think I see a Wolverine in Bernie's very near future :p

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Bob you know Andy didn't read my post real close when I said Woodcraft had the Wolverine system on sale. :D I have a pretty good C-man two speed grinder (2000 & 3450). The SWMBO told me I have spent enough for now but that I could get the a gouge if needed and she knows I will need to sharpen tools. So I think with those I will be pretty much set. I will get a 60 grit and 120 grit wheels, a 3/8" bowl gouge per Andy:eek: and the wolverine system so should be set. Thanks all.

Merry Christmas!

Randy Meijer
12-24-2005, 1:39 PM
Bernie: There is an article in one of the ww magazines (and posted on the Internet) about making a clone of the Wolverine unit and the sharpening jigs. If you already have a grinder, you can make the thing nearly for free out scrap wood that most folks have in their shops and about $3 worth of hardware. I don't have the link handy; but can look it up when I get home if you are interested. I'm working on one for myself right now!!:cool: :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 1:55 PM
.... Andy didn't read my post real close when I said Woodcraft had the Wolverine system on sale......

Oh I read it all right, but after taking the Evelyn Woodheadf Spid Rdeadering class about 100 years ago my Rdeadering retention factor is about as good as the Weishapl Factor:D

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2005, 2:42 PM
Hey Andy don't knock the Weishapl factor till you try it.:eek: It is really something ya know.:D I took Evelyn's course to about 100 yrs. ago.

Jim Becker
12-24-2005, 3:15 PM
I use an 80 grit for scrapers and a 100 grit for everything else. I don't like 120 grit wheels...but that's a personal preference. One thing I just purchased (from Woodcraft coincidentally due to the free shipping offer for the holidays) is the OneWay wheel balancing system...something I've been meaning to do for a LONG time. Based on anecdotal commentary from many folks who use it, I'm hoping it will solve for once and for all the continual problem I have with keeping my wheels "round".
------

Randy, I have a shop-built system on my second grinder. It works just fine, but I still prefer the Wolverine system. It's stiffer and I get more consistant results-- at least it seems so.

Randy Meijer
12-25-2005, 2:12 AM
For those of you who might be interested in building your own Wolverine system for less than $5 (if you already have a grinder), check out the following:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00115.asp (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00115.asp) :cool: :cool:

Gary DeWitt
12-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Randy,
I too made a stab at making one, only to have the tubing I had used for the arm be too flexible. I use the factory wolverine now, quite pleased with the result on a 120 wheel.
Jim,
Please post your opinion/results on the balancer when you've had time to try it, I'll be interested to know if you found it worth the time and money.

Merry Christmas All!

W.C. Turner
12-25-2005, 11:22 AM
I use an 80 grit for scrapers and a 100 grit for everything else. I don't like 120 grit wheels...but that's a personal preference. One thing I just purchased (from Woodcraft coincidentally due to the free shipping offer for the holidays) is the OneWay wheel balancing system...something I've been meaning to do for a LONG time. Based on anecdotal commentary from many folks who use it, I'm hoping it will solve for once and for all the continual problem I have with keeping my wheels "round".
------

Randy, I have a shop-built system on my second grinder. It works just fine, but I still prefer the Wolverine system. It's stiffer and I get more consistant results-- at least it seems so.

I know Ellsworth uses 100 grit wheels. I can't remember seeing 100 grit wheels anywhere, especially, for a reasonable price. Where you getting the 100 grits?

Chip Sutherland
12-25-2005, 4:44 PM
I bought Woodcraft's grinder and Wolverine jig and vari-grind during their Summer sale. No regrets. None.

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2005, 8:22 PM
I talked with Bill Baumbeck and he told me my c-man grinder would be fine. He said just get the white wheels and everything would be ok. He said just take light cuts and don't get heavy handed. I told him I sharpen my cutters for my watchmakers lathe which are quite small on it and he said you will be fine. So we are traveling to Denver tomorrow and I will be going straight to Woodcraft to pick up the wheels (80 & 120 grit), a wolverine jig with the vari-jig and a bowl gouge recommended by Bill Grumbine. That should pretty much have me set.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

John Hart
12-25-2005, 8:52 PM
I've been using my craftsman grinder and the white wheel and it's been just fine too Bernie. It goes round and round every time I throw the switch and that's pretty much all I ask of it!:)

Chris Barton
12-25-2005, 9:26 PM
My 6" B&D $29 grinder and white 120 wheel works perfect with my wolverine system...

Dave Mcintire
12-25-2005, 9:31 PM
Grizzly has a 320 grit 6" wheel that I think goes for about $14, it give a much better finish than 120 grit, however it is a soft wheel and will need truing occasionally. If you really want a nice finish follow up with a rubberized abrasive wheel and you get a mirror like shine. I guess its depends little on how fussy you are.

Andy Hoyt
12-25-2005, 9:34 PM
Okay, Doc Barton - I'll bite.

What's with that big hunk of Italian/Californian iron?

Randy Meijer
12-25-2005, 11:48 PM
.....Randy, I have a shop-built system on my second grinder. It works just fine, but I still prefer the Wolverine system. It's stiffer and I get more consistant results-- at least it seems so......

Jim: I assume...perhaps incorrectly...that most if not all of the flexibility is in the long arm with the cup on the end?? Did you use wood for the arm as the plans showed or some other material. There was a guy from Canada who posted on IAP about a rig of his own design....but clearly a Wolverine knock-off....using a piece of 1" box steel for his arm and he was quite satisfied with the result. I don't have a piece of wood in house to make an arm of the required dimension so I am laminating a couple of pieces......may be stiff enough or it may not. Guess I will find out shortly. If the wooden version doesn't work, I'll fire up the welder and make a steel version......guarantee you it will be stiff enough!! Yeah, I'll probably have more time in the project than the dollars a Wolverine would cost. But I have more time than money and being a dyed-in-the-wool tinkerer, think of all the fun I would miss by just buying one!!!:D :D

Randy Meijer
12-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Randy,
I too made a stab at making one, only to have the tubing I had used for the arm be too flexible......

Hey Gary: What material, exactly, did you use for the arm that did not work out?? Thanks!!