PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Ugly SoCal Winter Day

Vaughn McMillan
12-24-2005, 5:04 AM
I just came inside from letting the dogs out for a late-night break, and couldn't help but want to share a few items with my northeastern Creeker pals as they freeze their tails. (Just about everywhere is northeast of me.)

This horrible California winter weather really takes a toll on us out here. I had the air conditioner on in the car today when I was driving around. The official temps were in the low 70's, but in the sun in a car it sure felt warmer. Our lawns are getting a few small brown spots, so I had to reset the sprinklers to come on every day again, instead of every other day. I've got so many navel oranges on the tree in the back yard that I'm about to start looking for unlocked cars at work, so I can leave grocery bags of oranges on the front seat of each. I've picked probably 100 pounds of oranges off the tree in the past three weeks, and there's easily another 75 still in it. The lemons will be starting to fall off their tree before long too, so in a few weeks I'll be pawning them off on everyone I see, too. The trip outside with the dogs just now (almost 2:00 AM)...it was 65 degrees. I was barefoot and wearing a t-shirt...and comfortable.

It's just wrong, I tell you...wrong. This is supposed to be winter. I wanna wear a coat for at least a few months of the year. Snow is good, too. And nothing makes you appreciate a nice wood stove or fireplace better than a quick trip outside at night with the dogs when it's bone-chilling cold outside.

It's hard to get into the Christmas swing of things when you're wearing a t-shirt and have the sunroof open in the car as you fight mall traffic. And little twinkly lights wrapped around a palm tree just don't quite say Christmas the same way they would if they were wrapped around a spruce. Of course, the weather doesn't really have any role in whatever holidays we celebrate, but it does help set the mood, nonetheless.

Despite all of Nature's attempts to fake me out, I've convinced myself it is indeed the Christmas season (or the holiday of your choice), and I wanted wish the rest of you Creekers the very best this weekend, and for the coming year. SMC is one of the finest, most fun and informative groups of folks I've had the pleasure to meet, and I look forward to learning much more from this gang in the future.

All the best to you and your families -

- Vaughn

Tony Falotico
12-24-2005, 5:27 AM
It's hard to get into the Christmas swing of things when you're wearing a t-shirt and have the sunroof open in the car as you fight mall traffic. And little twinkly lights wrapped around a palm tree just don't quite say Christmas the same way they would if they were wrapped around a spruce. Of course, the weather doesn't really have any role in whatever holidays we celebrate, but it does help set the mood, nonetheless.

Despite all of Nature's attempts to fake me out, I've convinced myself it is indeed the Christmas season (or the holiday of your choice), and I wanted wish the rest of you Creekers the very best this weekend, and for the coming year. SMC is one of the finest, most fun and informative groups of folks I've had the pleasure to meet, and I look forward to learning much more from this gang in the future.

All the best to you and your families -

- Vaughn

I hear Ya' Vaughn, although it's been rather cold here in Florida, 32 degrees right now but it will work it's way up to the mid to high 60's later today. Only 54 degree low predicted for Christmas Eve, so I guess we will endure OK. :D

Merry Christmas Vaughn, and to all my Creeker Friends. Amen to your statement "SMC is one of the finest, most fun and informative groups of folks I've had the pleasure to meet, and I look forward to learning much more from this gang in the future". I look forward to coming from from a hard day in the office and checking out what's going on at the 'Creek.

A special THANKS to Miss Jackie, Keith, Aaron, and all the Moderators who give their personal time to keeping this place going and civil. I appreciate all of you !!

Jack Hogoboom
12-24-2005, 6:11 AM
You guys are all heart. Yesterday, there was freezing rain here. Before that, a week of bitterly cold weather. We're supposed to get a monsoon on Xmas day. My hands are raw from the cold and low humidity.

Enjoy it while you can. It's only a matter of time before CA falls into the ocean anyways and Florida is so overbuilt that you could die in the heat sitting in traffic on the way to the grocery store. Not to mention that Santa would look pretty ridiculous in a Hawaiian shirt, flip-flops and shades. No way Frosty could ever survive there either, and the only chestnuts roasting by the open fire probably cost $100 a pound.

Vaughn, if you need a place to send those oranges, send some to me. I love them!!

Merry Christmas to all.

And now it's back to a "some assembly required" Christmas....:eek:

Jack

Doug Shepard
12-24-2005, 8:20 AM
Vaughn
I'm really sorry to hear about your lousy weather out there:p . It must be a real bummer actually having to go on pooper scooper patrol for the dogs. Us lucky folks to your northeast actually get a 3 month break from that chore. Snow covers it all up until the spring, plus you get the organic fertilizer benefit to rejuvenate the lawn when it starts growing again. Our prayers are with you buddy.:D

John Hart
12-24-2005, 8:35 AM
I spent a bunch of years living in the tropics and southern US.....Florida, Texas, California, Hawaii. Never could get in the spirit of things during those years. Maybe it's because my childhood was spent mostly in PA....dunno. But, this year, the only snow will be that which hasnt melted yet....It's almost gone and we're going to hit 40 today. Nevertheless, the fire is burning, the lights are on, on the tree and the house is a mess. Feels just about right.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2005, 9:21 AM
Vaughn....as John Hart can testify....Lewiston Idaho is at a much lower elevation than the surrounding area. We are at the bottom of the Snake River and Clearwater River canyons. The elevation difference between the surrounding prairies and the bottom of the canyon is somewhere near 3000 feet IIRC. So...I look to the north canyon wall....I see snow kind of drisseling down it like thin icing over the edge of a warm cake.....Yet I'll be raking the leaves that were under the snow we had earlier as the temps today are supposed to be in the 40s again today!

scott spencer
12-24-2005, 9:32 AM
Hi Vaughn (and Merry Christmas) - We're having a heat wave here too.....it's been in the low 40's for two days straight, and have parked the coats in the closet. It's nice to be working out in the shop and know that if I cut off a finger I'd at least feel it. :eek: Earlier in December it was in the low teens...it really helps open those sinuses up, but we did think it wise to break the coats out then. I've only had to shovel the driveway 7 or 8 times this year so far. I can't get the snowblower started, so it's a good thing that the weather's been mild. Now that the snow's melting, I'm reminded of all the leaves I didn't off the grass yet. Now that winter's officially here, we'll start hunkering down for the long cold stretch....we're all pretty excited! :rolleyes: At least it's cloudy here alot, which helps keep spirits up.

Hope you have a great Christmas, and be careful...I hear the temp can drop down into the 50's unexpectedly out there sometimes. :cool:

Andy Hoyt
12-24-2005, 9:39 AM
I feel for ya Vaughn. Hope these help make it better. Took my two best friends out for a romp last night too.

That's Archie on the left and Marlowe on the right (top center, about an inch down)

28130 28131

Brian Austin
12-24-2005, 9:39 AM
The weather gurus are saying 80 for Christmas Day. I had my a/c on in the truck as well. I try to wear long sleeve shirts and get too hot. Blah.

I agree: it's REAL hard to get in the mood for the holidays when you're trying to dig out the shorts and t-shirts, and cleaning off the back porch to have Christmas dinner outside. :D

Yes, it may be awfully warm in the summer...but I'm not shoveling NOW!!

Ernie Nyvall
12-24-2005, 9:42 AM
Maybe it all depends on where you started.

I've lived all but 2 years in Texas and do like a cold snap as long as it snaps back. Most of what I do is outside whether it be work or at home and my shop is not heated. I can hardly stand to wear a jacket although I do when it gets below 40, but everything comes off down to a short sleeve shirt when I get inside the house or car.

I start singing Christmas carols during the Christmas parade in November whether it's cold or not and continue through Christmas day. :D I did spend one Christmas in Longville, MN and I'll have to admit it was very nice so maybe a northern Christmas vacation is in the future, but back down here for the rest of the year.:) But right now the house is filled with the right aromas, the tree is decorated with presents around, the neighbors are happy, and I'll be in my Santa suit tonight for the few children who live around here, and like John said, all seems just about right.
:)

Merry Christmas all

Ernie

Mark Singer
12-24-2005, 9:44 AM
It is kinda lousy where I am too:rolleyes: ....I am thinking about a swim in the pool today... I had the cars detailed 3 weeks ago and they are still perfect..My firewood is sitting unused...It has been an incredible fall/winter so far....clear days ...dry ...views forever....we did pay for it last year though...35" of rain...and this seaons not over yet....excuse me....I need to check the pool temperature...the Pacific is a touch cool :cool:

Lee DeRaud
12-24-2005, 10:34 AM
It was brutal here yesterday, I tell ya!:eek: Sat out on the patio at El Torito, drinking margaritas and watching the sunset.

Temperature dropped into the low 60's by 8, but was back up to 70 when I went to bed...low last night was maybe 65. But I don't think it's going to get as warm today as they predicted, maybe 80 max.:D

Dave Ray
12-24-2005, 1:09 PM
Despite the hardships you guys have out there in California/Arizona it's good to see you still have the Christmas spirit. In Virginia Beach today we hit 60, thats after a long (two weeks) cold spell of 30's/40's. May all the Creekers have finest of Christmas's and the Best the New Year can bring. Hope you all get new toys to play with, most of all that you are basking in the love of your families. Good memories to all and to all MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Dave Anderson NH
12-24-2005, 1:14 PM
It's terrible here in NH. Right now it's 48 degrees and very likely to pass 50 this afternoon. We are down to about 5-6 inches of snow and it looks like we'll have a white Christmas only by the skin of our teeth. I have the wood stove going in the shops bench room, but had to open the windows as it was getting too hot and I was starting to sweat as I worked.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy Hannukah to all of you.

Ken Garlock
12-24-2005, 1:35 PM
Well Gents, the Weather Bug :cool: here on my computer says it is 61 in McKinney, with predictions of in the 70s for the next several days. And, no smog in the forecast....

Mery Christmas to all:)

Michael Perata
12-24-2005, 1:55 PM
It was really cold Wednesday morning in San Jose, about 58d, so I decided to wear my cold weather clothes for a corporate get together in Newport Beach (T-shirt under my long sleeve shirt and a lightweight leather jacket).

Boy, did I overdress. I got to the Balboa Bay Club and it was 85d :D

John Bailey
12-24-2005, 2:40 PM
You guys can keep it! This is the way it should be.

John