PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify this Oak

Brian Runau
03-24-2020, 9:57 AM
I have some Oak that is very dark compared to other pieces I have. Any help trying to identify would be greatly appreciated. narrow piece 2nd from bottom.

Thanks. Brian428661

Jim Becker
03-24-2020, 10:46 AM
Looks like white oak on the bottom to me and the narrow strip may be the same, but just cut different. Any species can have variability in color from tree to tree.

Christopher Herzog
03-24-2020, 11:08 AM
White oak is my vote for sure

Brian Runau
03-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Looks like white oak on the bottom to me and the narrow strip may be the same, but just cut different. Any species can have variability in color from tree to tree.

Jim, Both are quartersawn. narrower piece is a completely different color, many shades darker. I'm trying to figure it out so I can by more to match. thanks. brian

Mark Gibney
03-24-2020, 11:20 AM
As Jim says, white oak.
White oak ranges from creamy to olive, sometimes in the same board.

Lisa Starr
03-24-2020, 1:19 PM
Another vote for White Oak. We have White Oak flooring with a clear finish and the color varies tremendously from board to board and withn a board.

Richard Coers
03-24-2020, 3:25 PM
I think I've read there are over 500 species of oak around the world. Commercially they are sold as either red or white. There is going to be a wide range of colors!

Stan Calow
03-25-2020, 9:06 AM
I have some pieces of white oak that are that color.

Thomas McCurnin
03-26-2020, 12:33 AM
I've had white oak in a chocolate color--that dark.

Brian Runau
03-26-2020, 10:45 AM

Jim, my apologies for questioning your advice. Once again I learn how little I know.

Thanks to everyone. Brian

Mark Bolton
03-26-2020, 10:48 AM
Chestnut Oak is graded pretty much across the board as White Oak and has a much warmer/browner tone. I would guess the darker is Chesnut Oak. I dont care for White Oak at all personally but I really do like the color tone of Chestnut Oak. The hard part is with them being graded together you rarely (Ive never seen it) can buy just Chesnut Oak unless you get it from a custom sawyer.

Derek Cohen
03-26-2020, 11:44 AM
I understand that “white oak” is a family, not a singular tree. Bur white oak, Chestnut white oak, Oregon white oak ...

Regards from Perth (where we have Tasmanian oak, a eucalyptus :) )

Derek

Mark Bolton
03-26-2020, 2:46 PM
I understand that “white oak” is a family, not a singular tree. Bur white oak, Chestnut white oak, Oregon white oak ...

Regards from Perth (where we have Tasmanian oak, a eucalyptus :) )

Derek

Absolutely... the hard part at least around here is that no one separates any of it. Its all graded as "white oak" though when you get into primo material and sometimes Q&R they are graded for color as well. I have long looked for a source of Chestnut Oak specifically and no mill I have spoken with even considers any of the individual white oaks independent of each other. The larger jobs Ive done with Chestnut Oak we had to saw on our small mill and dry ourselves.

Scott T Smith
04-02-2020, 9:05 PM
Brian, the bottom piece appears to be chestnut white oak. The narrower board above it appears to be quercus alba (white oak).

The change in growth ring direction exhibited by the narrow board makes me think that it's either from a butt log (where the log widened out into the root ball) or a flare where it branched out.

In my area we have around 13 different species of white oak, and the color and grain can vary significantly.

Tom Bender
04-05-2020, 7:07 AM
Brian
If you need rot resistance you will need to test for open tyloses. Other than that you will just need to examine the wood for grain and color.