PDA

View Full Version : Leave the bit in, or not?

steven c newman
03-24-2020, 2:52 AM
When you put that brace and bit away...do you take the bit out? Or, leave the drill set up for the next time?

Or...do you have a separate rack for the bits, and take the freshly used bit out of the brace, and place it back in the rack?

Nicholas Lawrence
03-24-2020, 7:10 AM
Bit goes back in the box, brace hangs on the rack.

Jim Matthews
03-24-2020, 7:14 AM
I put my tools away, so I can find them.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-24-2020, 8:51 AM
Steve, I think that most people here do not have the large number of braces that you have, so, unless they need a specific bit, it is probably coming off. If I know that I will need to drill more of the same in the immediate future, it will stay in, otherwise, it comes off. I have few bits for it, so I treat them very carefully and they are packed away and stored. My brace is also placed back in its drawer. Did I mention that I do not have a bunch of braces or bits?

michael dilday
03-24-2020, 8:58 AM
I don't use a brace but if I did the bit would come off when the brace gets put away. Bits always come off and go back in their storage when I finish with them.

lowell holmes
03-24-2020, 9:04 AM
I never leave bit in the brace.

steven c newman
03-24-2020, 9:51 AM
I have 2 bits that are always in their brace.....a countersink and a pilot hole bit....the other 4 braces I'll be keeping in the cabinet, might be a "bit" too big...

( Andrew, IF you NEED a brace or two....sneak over here, and pick out one...I seem to have a few "spares"....)

Andrew Pitonyak
03-24-2020, 10:23 AM
I have 2 bits that are always in their brace.....a countersink and a pilot hole bit....the other 4 braces I'll be keeping in the cabinet, might be a "bit" too big...

( Andrew, IF you NEED a brace or two....sneak over here, and pick out one...I seem to have a few "spares"....)

When all this passes over, I might ply you with Mexican Food and Alcohol until you give up a brace and ply me with tales! :D

For sure a countersink would get a lot of use so it makes sense.

Tony Zaffuto
03-24-2020, 10:57 AM
I have at least one each, of the Fray/Spofford chuck style braces. Each has an appropriate sized center bit already chucked in, one has a countersink and one has a straight screwdriver bit. I much prefer this style of brace to ratchet style (of which I have many). Of the ratchet, no bits are left chucked, but then again, I generally on use the 6" MF, with a screwdriver bit!

steven c newman
03-24-2020, 8:50 PM
Well...out of 14 braces....have kept just 6 for the tool cabinet...
There are two 6" sweeps with bits installed, there is an 8" sweep, a 10" sweep, a 12" sweep and the 14" Stanley trying to hide in the corner...

Bits left in? a Countersink, and a pilot hole bit....

Jim Koepke
03-24-2020, 9:30 PM
If a bit is being used to drill a lot of the same size bore. My braces are never put away with a bit installed.

They wouldn't fit in their space with a bit installed.

jtk