PDA

View Full Version : New woodworker with a question?

Ty wayne
03-23-2020, 4:36 PM
Hello all, I'm new to woodworking and I'm starting to purchase better tools. I purchased a Kobalt table saw years ago to get me by with small home renovations but I'm looking for something better. I stumbled across this Delta Unisaw and wanted to get the experts opinions on the condition and if I should look for anything in particular. The guy said it was his dad's and about 15-20 years old. He said his dad was a drinker and never finished putting it together. He's now trying to sell it but it has got quite a bit of rust from the pictures. I plan on looking at it this evening and I believe I could get it for $300-400. He said it has never been run. Any thoughts is much appreciated.

Bryan Lisowski
03-23-2020, 4:53 PM
The rust can't be dealt with. I would find out if it actually runs, if it does just listen for any rough sounds. I don't know if I would spend more than $325. Leave yourself some room in case you need to replace belts, bearings or other parts, which could be difficult to get from delta.

glenn bradley
03-23-2020, 4:58 PM
For another viewpoint, that's a $300 fence (https://www.performancetoolcenter.com/delta-bc50t2-biesemeyer-50-in-commercial-fence-and-rail-system-legs/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Nbxrb6x6AIVAV8NCh3aWgCqEAQYAiA BEgK5ifD_BwE). Apparently some folks get even more for it. The saw is going to take some work to de-rust but, if you are willing to tinker with it a bit you should do OK. It will not have a riving knife which would be a deal breaker for me. <=== That comment will get a rousing holler from all the guys who have "run a saw without a guard for 40 years" but, saying something like that would put someone on my short list for advice as a newcomer. It is also right tilt, another deal breaker for me. YMMV but, I bet we will get some discussion going.

Bob Jones 5443
03-23-2020, 5:01 PM
I'd say keep looking. The time you'd need to pour into this will quickly consume the extra money you'd spend to find one of these machines that has been cared for but is no longer needed. This one might never work well and the money you saved would be the least of your concerns. Good luck.

It's heartbreaking to see this fine machine ruined by neglect. I have the left-tilt version of this (vintage 2001) and it is a stalwart. Keep the faith. You'll find one in an estate sale or the like, but it might take some time.

Andrew Hughes
03-23-2020, 5:58 PM
I say go for it.
If you stick with woodworking long enough your going to wear many hats. Mechanic,electrician,designer the list goes on. Might as well roll your sleeves up and get the ball rolling.
Good Luck

Scott Buehler
03-23-2020, 6:09 PM
If say go for it also, as long as it runs. It's a great saw and should run for years to come.

Robert Hazelwood
03-23-2020, 6:18 PM
The rust on the top is a few hours of work with a razor blade, some WD-40 and scotchbrite. I'd probably want to take it mostly apart and remove the rust from all of the shafts and gears, but you might be able to avoid that. While I was in there I'd replace motor and arbor bearings though there's a good chance they are fine, too, if the PO's story is true. All told it might be a couple of weekends worth of work, less if you are experienced with this sort of work.

I'd expect some small parts like fasteners to be missing given the state its in, but looks like all major components are there.

Seems like used unisaws and PM66 in decent shape, not requiring restoration work, go for around $1000. I think the comparable (in terms of size/power) new Asian imports start around $1500. Sawstops (also Asian import) start around $3000.

It's a lot of saw for $300-400. Whether its worth it depends on how much you like restoring machines. If you decide to go that route check out owwm.org where there are probably thousands of Unisaw restoration threads.

Matt Day
03-23-2020, 6:23 PM
I just bought a similar but older model for $350, not a steal but I was looking for one. It was in similar condition. You need to be ready with razor blades, scotch brite, grinders with wire wheels, and to remove the top and most of the guts. Those shafts look pretty rough.
Mine works great now, but probably have 15 hours of labor in it, and I’ve taken apart a Uni before.
I’d plan on bearings (you’ll need to remove and pull bearings from the arbor, so you’ll need a bearing puller), and new belts.

Ty wayne
03-23-2020, 7:08 PM
Thank you to all for the advice. I'm going to look at it tonight hopefully. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench and my buddy is pretty damn good with things like that so I'm sure he'd give me a hand. I also don't mind spending time to clean things up. I'll update the thread after I take a look at it.

Christopher Herzog
03-23-2020, 7:57 PM
I would go for it. Probably be smart to see if the motor works. You have the chance to restore it and have a story to tell along the way.

Good luck!
Chris

Mike Kees
03-23-2020, 8:58 PM
I have bought Unisaws in that type of condition and worked on them for a day then turned around and flipped them and done well. That one I would buy in a heartbeat,as Glenn already said the fence is worth that much.

Lee Schierer
03-24-2020, 12:22 PM
I don't see the mounting angle for the Beismeyer Fence. That piece is essential to use the fence. Other than that if it runs $325 is a reasonable price for the saw.

Rod Wolfy
03-24-2020, 12:35 PM
I've purchased a severely rusted saw like that before. Make sure that you can turn the handwheels & they move. If they've rusted solid, you might not be able to break them free. Get a jar of "Naval Jelly" (rust remover), some gloves and some wire bristle brushes that you can mount in a cordless drill. Lots of work. Make sure that you can actually turn on the motor, too. Good luck.

Ty wayne
03-24-2020, 7:05 PM
I went and looked at the saw today and the guy had somewhat cleaned up the rust on the top. I was able to lock/unlock both hand wheels and they both cranked smoothly with no issues tilting or raising. The plug on the saw I had never seen before and neither had the guy. He wired in his dryer plug and got the saw running. Seemed to fire up no problem and didn't seem like it was out of balance or any louder than other saws. The body is pretty clean of any scratches and no dents. Minor rust on a couple corner of the bottom of the stand but was surface only. The belts didn't seem weathered or loose. He does have both mounting rails and guide tube for the fence but he doesn't have the bolts to mount the rails. I didn't cut a piece of wood due to rain, no fence, and being outside. We just ran it for about 20 seconds and turned it off and on multiple times. I'm thinking of offering him $400 even though he's asking $600. The serial number shows it's a 36-812 and build date of August 2002. Any more thoughts or suggestions? I attached a couple more pictures. After googling the plug it looks like it's a 240v plug.

Jim Becker
03-24-2020, 7:19 PM
A 3 horsepower motor is going to be 240v for sure and that's a 20 amp 240v plug.

Thomas McCurnin
03-24-2020, 9:52 PM
I’ve seen these on Craigslist for $1,000 or less in good working condition. For me it’s worth only parts for $100. It would be a big project.

Bill Dufour
03-25-2020, 1:05 AM
looks like a 6-30 or 6-15 plug. So I say 15 or 30 amp. Most likely 30 amp.
Bill D

https://www.generatorjoe.net/html/web/outlet/quailplug.html

Alex Zeller
03-25-2020, 2:20 PM
I wouldn't pay $600 for it. For $300 to $400 you can get your money back by taking it apart and selling the parts on ebay. I've had good luck with using fine sandpaper and light oil with a rubber sanding block removing rust so the top wouldn't bother me. However I've been seeing a lot of cabinet saws selling for real cheap at local auctions around here. Of course they are well used.

Dan Hahr
03-25-2020, 5:59 PM
It’s only missing bolts and is rusty. Mine came with much more rust than that and I had it running smooth in an hour. The bearings are probably fine unless there was water running into them. If he cleans it up and shows it to someone else, they’re going to get a deal.

Definitely worth 500 bucks easy.

Dan

Bob Jones 5443
03-25-2020, 6:00 PM
That's the right plug; same as on mine.

But don't buy this saw. It was standing in the rain when you got there?

Reconsider.

Ty wayne
03-25-2020, 9:57 PM
That's the right plug; same as on mine.

But don't buy this saw. It was standing in the rain when you got there?

Reconsider.

It wasn't raining when I got there and he knew I was coming so he pulled it out on a cart. We fired it up and shortly after it started to rain. We covered it up at that point and he put back on the cart. There are a couple other saws in the area that are in better shape and come with a base and side table. They're asking more but have been sitting. I'm going to try to negotiate on those ones and see. The guy was nice enough but I've decided not to rush myself.

Thank you all for the advice and I look forward to being able to contribute in the future.

lowell holmes
03-27-2020, 4:45 PM
I jumper'd the motor to run on 240 volts. It makes a lot of difference on band saws and table saws.

Pete Staehling
03-27-2020, 4:56 PM
Good luck shopping. I hope you find the deal you want. This one doesn't look too bad to me, but it is hard to tell what you will run in to when you start working on any used saw. Pricing is a tough call and depends largely on the local market. Offering him $400 doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

Mike Kees
03-27-2020, 7:41 PM
I would buy that thing. That saw is in great shape,the only thing that should even be considered is if the angle iron rail for the fence is there.Like I said before I have bought 5-6 of these saws from $150 -$1700 and none of them except the 1700 one looked as good as that one. If you pass and someone else buys it ,you are going to kick yourself. Don't let people talk you out of a great deal,the rust on that saw is nothing. Good luck.

Pete Staehling
03-28-2020, 5:57 AM
I would buy that thing. That saw is in great shape,the only thing that should even be considered is if the angle iron rail for the fence is there.Like I said before I have bought 5-6 of these saws from $150 -$1700 and none of them except the 1700 one looked as good as that one. If you pass and someone else buys it ,you are going to kick yourself. Don't let people talk you out of a great deal,the rust on that saw is nothing. Good luck.
Some people really freak out over a little rust. I agree that it wouldn't worry me much. How quick it should be snapped up and what he should pay depends on the local market. If I needed a saw and that one was available here I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd offer less, but pay the ask if I had to. Apparently in some areas similar values come along frequently if reports I read are to be believed.

Ty wayne
03-30-2020, 3:21 PM
So I found this saw today and asking $750 firm. The lady said it was used by her hobbyist husband who passed away a few years ago. I'm aware that I may lose out on this if I wait too long but I don't have a ton of free time to woodwork, so $750 is a tough for me to spend. Thoughts?

Bob Jones 5443
03-30-2020, 3:54 PM
Ty, there it is. Grab it and start loving it.

Jim Becker
03-30-2020, 4:37 PM
Ty...that's a really good price for that saw and accoutrements...you will not likely find something as nice for less money.

Alex Zeller
03-30-2020, 4:38 PM
I would just do a little research into left vs right tilt saws. Usually it's personal choice but there's a safety aspect to it as well. As a rule of thumb you never want to have your fence set so that when the blade is tilted the piece of wood is trapped under the blade and against the fence. Since the extension table in on the right side most saws will tilt left to avoid this.

Ty wayne
03-30-2020, 4:43 PM
I told the seller I'd take it and we're trying to setup a time to pick it up. Thanks for all the help!