PDA

View Full Version : New source for wood

dennis thompson
03-21-2020, 4:06 AM
As some of you know , I mostly make toys and small models, so most of my wood requirements are for pretty small pieces. My source for wood is usually the " shorts" room at the local millwork. I get some nice wood for $5-10 a small batch. Well I found a new and cheaper source. I live near the ocean so every day I walk 4 miles , some of it on the boardwalk along the Atlantic ocean ( it doesn't get much better than that) . There are houses being built all over town and every day I walk past a dumpster or two. For the last few days I have picked up some very nice dark (mahogony?) wood out of a dumpster. It does get a little heavy as I'm walking 3-4 blocks up my street carrying a couple of 8 foot boards:). Wonder if I'll find anything today?

Frederick Skelly
03-21-2020, 7:58 AM
I always enjoy your models. Glad you found a new source. For carrying small stuff, you could try a small backpack, like the kids use for school. For the 8 footers? Maybe roller skates so you can get them home faster. ;)

Looking forward to your next model!
Fred

Jim Becker
03-21-2020, 9:33 AM
It amazes me at what gets thrown out by contractors and other kinds of fabrication businesses. I actually have a small arrangement with one local cabinetmaker to get his "nice" scraps and have taken or been given some pretty nice material by another cabinetmaker and a general contractor friend. Even things like strip flooring can be useful for small projects and general utility. Nice find on those mahogany boards, Dennis.

Bob Riefer
03-21-2020, 9:40 AM
That's how Clint Harp (the woodworking guy on Chip and Joanna Gaines' show "Fixer Upper") got started... re-purposing others' cast offs.