PDA

View Full Version : Ok folks, we've been training for this for many years.

Bill Bukovec
03-20-2020, 11:47 PM
The current trend now is to practice "Social distancing". Being woodworkers, we are way ahead of the curve on this. We just call it "Shop time". It's satisfying that our years of working alone in our shops is finally being recognized!

Stand tall woodworkers! As a duty to our country(s) , spend a lot of time in your shop this weekend and beyond. After all, it's not just to get projects completed, it's for the greater good of society. When this is all over and years from now our grandchildren will ask, "what did you do during the great outbreak of 2020?" We will humbly say, "Well, I did my part".

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2020, 12:34 AM
Can I get a big "Amen" for Brother Bukovec?:rolleyes::D

Jim Koepke
03-21-2020, 2:15 AM

Amen.

My problem is the weather has been good meaning it is time to start work on prepping for this years garden.

We are supposed to get some rain next week. That will ge me in the shop.

jtk

Jon Grider
03-21-2020, 9:34 AM
Amen! and Amen!

Jamie Buxton
03-21-2020, 12:00 PM
True. Unfortunately, most of my projects start with a trip to the hardwood dealer, which is closed down. So for the next several months I'm going to have to be working from whatever bits and pieces I have on hand.

Edwin Santos
03-21-2020, 12:09 PM
True. Unfortunately, most of my projects start with a trip to the hardwood dealer, which is closed down. So for the next several months I'm going to have to be working from whatever bits and pieces I have on hand.

Drats. When everyone was at the grocery stores hoarding TP, we should have been hoarding at the lumberyard.

Doug Garson
03-21-2020, 12:46 PM
All you wood hoarders out there, you know who you are, you were right all along. :cool:

Thomas Canfield
03-21-2020, 6:55 PM

Truth is that most of us have more material on hand than we can handle. I know that I have enough to keep me busy for the next 20 years if I spent 20 hours a week minimum. This time is a good chance to take a good look at our stash and make some decisions how to reduce it passing some on to newbies or other places.

Tom Bender
03-24-2020, 7:43 AM
In Michigan, Lowes and probably others are essential services, just in case a toilet needs service. So even with my hardwood supplier closed, quite a lot of stuff is still available.

Rod Sheridan
03-24-2020, 8:27 AM
Great outlook to the pandemic Jim.

I'm working from home, no commuting so much more shop time.

Gasoline is down to about 68 cents from $1.20 a few weeks ago, however I'm not using any now:(

It's too bad that some people aren't being as responsible as you are Jim.............Rod.

Jim Becker
03-24-2020, 10:44 AM
I worked from home for over 20 years and that 25' commut was "da best". The barista always got my morning beverage correct, too. Oh, wait...that was me. LOL But seriously, I got more done in less time working virtually which left more time for me to do things like cook for my family, handle the laundry and get shop time, etc.

Rod, our gas was $1.89 at Costco this morning which is "noteworthy" for Pennsyltucky!

Gary Ragatz
03-24-2020, 10:51 AM
Gasoline is down to about 68 cents from $1.20 a few weeks ago, however I'm not using any now:(

Rod,

I hope that's 68 cents/liter! Best I've seen around here is 1.45 USD/gallon.

glenn bradley
03-24-2020, 12:58 PM
I was pleased to learn that my lifestyle had a formal name; self quarantine. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2020, 1:01 PM
I was pleased to learn that my lifestyle had a formal name; self quarantine. :)

Laughing out loud!

Rod Sheridan
03-24-2020, 1:58 PM
Rod,

I hope that's 68 cents/liter! Best I've seen around here is 1.45 USD/gallon.

Yes of course, forgot I was on an American forum.

Looks fuel is around half price for you as well....Rod

Ron Selzer
03-24-2020, 8:43 PM
Sitting on about 500 bd ft of qtr sawn white oak, 300 bd ft of cherry 4&5 ft long, 400+' popular, some baltic birch plywood for drawer bottoms
Have been off my feet sine Friday the 13th due to foot surgery that was more extensive than originally planned, should be able to ease back into the shop tomorrow some.
Have a cherry dresser that needs drawer front sna finish sprayed, small book shelf for one granddaughter, a 4" high chest of drawers for another granddaughter.
SWMBO wants knobs on the drawers of her 6' tall chest of drawers, something about waiting 2 1/2 years and not done
I work on Mondays for about 2 hrs checking swimming pool and steam boilers, off the rest of the week

William Fretwell
03-24-2020, 9:17 PM
“That will come in handy”, “keep that for a rainy day”, “One day I’ll be glad of that”, “must make one of those some day”,
THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED.

Doug Dawson
03-25-2020, 1:31 AM
“That will come in handy”, “keep that for a rainy day”, “One day I’ll be glad of that”, “must make one of those some day”,
THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED.

And THIS, my friends, is why I keep my offcuts for as long as I do.

Jim Becker
03-25-2020, 9:38 AM
And THIS, my friends, is why I keep my offcuts for as long as I do.

Ditto....it's part of self-preservation sometimes!

lowell holmes
03-26-2020, 11:25 AM
I have been married for forty years, I am well trained.