PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to get a haircut?

bill epstein
03-19-2020, 10:42 PM
Me too.

If the gloomier predictions come to pass, I'll look like my college picture again.

Except it's all white, now.

Bruce Page
03-19-2020, 11:31 PM
Funny, I’ve been thinking about the problem too. I might end up with a DIY 1950’s butch haircut, like my mom used to give me!:eek:

Dave Lehnert
03-19-2020, 11:37 PM
Barber Shops are now closed in Ohio

Doug Dawson
03-19-2020, 11:38 PM
Me too.

If the gloomier predictions come to pass, I'll look like my college picture again.

Except it's all white, now.

I long since learned how to give myself brush cuts. If that makes me look scarier walking down the street, well okay. Klaus Kinski on shore leave, laughing at the cracks in the sidewalk. I do fall over occasionally.

Jerome Stanek
03-20-2020, 6:11 AM
Barber Shops are now closed in Ohio

I was planning getting my hair cut Thursday but they closed the shops Wednesday. My son got his cut as it was being announced he heard it when he was sitting in the chair.

Zachary Hoyt
03-20-2020, 6:44 AM
I've been cutting my own hair for at least a decade. I keep it buzzed off pretty short and it's easy to do with two mirrors, one on the wall and one in my hand so I can see the back of my neck.
Zach

Jim Becker
03-20-2020, 9:56 AM
I also cut my own now for many years. But it doesn't matter since barber shops and hair salons are now closed throughout PA along with all other non-essential businesses.

Paul F Franklin
03-20-2020, 11:08 AM
I also cut my own now for many years. But it doesn't matter since barber shops and hair salons are now closed throughout PA along with all other non-essential businesses.

Does that explain the ever present ball cap? :D

I guess longer styles will be coming back, at least for a while.

Clark Hussey
03-20-2020, 11:23 AM
In New York State. You are s.o.l. As all barbershops, salons, have been ordered closed

Erik Loza
03-20-2020, 11:45 AM
Funny: My wife and I were just talking about this. I'm due for a haircut and actually think our salon is open but I'm not going anywhere near that place for a while. I prefer neatly trimmed but she always tells me she likes it longer, so I guess she's going to win this one.

Erik

lowell holmes
03-20-2020, 12:08 PM
Fortunately, I had a haircut last week. I would not go today.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2020, 12:17 PM
A hair cut is not just a need for "social appearances" but for me, if the hair over my cochlear implant gets too long, the antenna/coil which is held on to the under the scalp implant by 2 rare earth magnets ( one on the antenna and one on the implant) won't stay on. Thus I constantly have to fight a battle to regain my hearing after the antenna pops off. Thus my hair may get longer but I will use a trimmer to shorten the hair over my implant. With my wife out of the town for the foreseeable future, that task may result in an UGLY coiffure on my head!:eek::rolleyes::D

Erik Loza
03-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Thus my hair may get longer but I will use a trimmer to shorten the hair over my implant. With my wife out of the town for the foreseeable future, that task may result in an UGLY coiffure on my head!:eek::rolleyes::D

Ken: Go big or go home

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2020, 1:57 PM

:eek:;):rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ben Grefe
03-20-2020, 2:00 PM
Some of us don't have a choice. Here in WA all Barbers and Salons have been closed by order of the governor.

Jim Becker
03-20-2020, 2:01 PM
Ken, you would be adorable in a mohawk...especially one with a bit of color. Wouldn't the "boss" be so surprised when she returns!! ROFLOL

Paul, I do tend to wear a "ball cap" frequently, but it's more about sun and rain. While I cut my hair pretty short at this point (1.5mm on the clipper) it used to be about 10-12 inches down my back in a ponytail...or when not in a ponytail, it looked something like this:

https://rkhbzq.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mRt9EMvWbYGXgJRCxbGAmYvoHb0A8J0Xcj4HynK7p8H80SPF 7ZpPE4fwrhaZ10SIYY2DXE-cRP864LSF3IQD25veOiqMX1HnT3I5TglHXO_zHZHkvlzKf0qYU uFgKiMepwFEyBalqmf_PANw2G9xfYWz9c7KGfK0Zz1A7JvYKsa FKlNIUGmQg_MctB90iuEoYQ2mZTyXn1aYUvnx2G5v6QA?width =200&height=177&cropmode=none

Nicholas Lawrence
03-20-2020, 2:02 PM
Need one, but with five kids depending on me it would be a foolish and unnecessary thing to do. If it gets bad enough, I will have my wife have a go. Worst case scenario it will grow back.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2020, 3:01 PM

Ken, you would be adorable in a mohawk...especially one with a bit of color. Wouldn't the "boss" be so surprised when she returns!! ROFLOL

Paul, I do tend to wear a "ball cap" frequently, but it's more about sun and rain. While I cut my hair pretty short at this point (1.5mm on the clipper) it used to be about 10-12 inches down my back in a ponytail...or when not in a ponytail, it looked something like this:

https://rkhbzq.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mRt9EMvWbYGXgJRCxbGAmYvoHb0A8J0Xcj4HynK7p8H80SPF 7ZpPE4fwrhaZ10SIYY2DXE-cRP864LSF3IQD25veOiqMX1HnT3I5TglHXO_zHZHkvlzKf0qYU uFgKiMepwFEyBalqmf_PANw2G9xfYWz9c7KGfK0Zz1A7JvYKsa FKlNIUGmQg_MctB90iuEoYQ2mZTyXn1aYUvnx2G5v6QA?width =200&height=177&cropmode=none

With the 4" part I am developing centered on my head, either one of these cuts aren't an option.

Michael Weber
03-20-2020, 4:50 PM
Stopped going to barbers 40 years ago. Wife cut it for 20 years then she up and stopped doing it. Went to a "RoboCut". Possibly looks like crap sometimes but I don't care. Got nothing on top anyway.

Frank Drackman
03-20-2020, 5:15 PM
I have been using the RoboCut for over twenty years. I'm under $0.50 per haircut.

Stopped going to barbers 40 years ago. Wife cut it for 20 years then she up and stopped doing it. Went to a "RoboCut". Possibly looks like crap sometimes but I don't care. Got nothing on top anyway.

Bruce Wrenn
03-20-2020, 9:38 PM
A hair cut is not just a need for "social appearances" but for me, if the hair over my cochlear implant gets too long, the antenna/coil which is held on to the under the scalp implant by 2 rare earth magnets ( one on the antenna and one on the implant) won't stay on. Thus I constantly have to fight a battle to regain my hearing after the antenna pops off. Thus my hair may get longer but I will use a trimmer to shorten the hair over my implant. With my wife out of the town for the foreseeable future, that task may result in an UGLY coiffure on my head!:eek::rolleyes::DDon't worry, nobody going to see you while you sit at home. Just don't update your picture here on SMC.

Bill Jobe
03-20-2020, 10:56 PM
Does that explain the ever present ball cap? :D

I guess longer styles will be coming back, at least for a while.

I think it's the baseball caps that cause balding.
Almost every guy I know who's bald or balding wears a baseball cap. :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
03-21-2020, 9:29 AM
I think it's the baseball caps that cause balding.
Almost every guy I know who's bald or balding wears a baseball cap. :rolleyes:
As you can see from the scary photo I posted above...my hair was still farther back on my head even when longer in the back. :) I think that hats are something of a habit we can get into...a "comfort" item, if you will. It's also an identifier in some respects...mine almost has a particular college logo on it. This is all over top of helping to keep sun and precipitation at bay, of course. :)