PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Bandsaw Purchase

David Millsaps
12-23-2005, 8:15 PM
I've been looking at purchasing a Laguna Bandsaw for my shop. The decision for me is whether to purchase a 14SE or a 16HD. I've gotten all of the information from the company but the price aspect is somewhat scarey. Does anyone have recommendations, experience etc that will help me make this choice.

Thanks

Jim Becker
12-23-2005, 8:29 PM
Of the two....the 16HD is what you want if the funds are available. HUGE difference in products. You should also look at competing products from Aganzzi and Mini Max before you make your decision.

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek!!

David Millsaps
12-23-2005, 9:06 PM
Thanks for the information. The mini max looks to be in the same price range as the laguna. Do you have a link to the Aganzzi. My search engine can't find that saw.

Dave

Chris Barton
12-23-2005, 9:07 PM
Hi David,

I have a Laguna 16HD that I bought about 2 months ago. Please PM me with any questions you might have. I will say that I have been very pleased with the saw (zero defects, operates flawlessly) and the Laguna service.

John Miliunas
12-23-2005, 9:11 PM
David, the 16HD all the way! I've still got the somewhat older version and it's great! The new ones are better yet with larger resaw capacity and stronger motor (Baldor, if I'm not mistaken!). And those ceramic guides are the cat's meow!:) Now, that's what I personally have, though others are equally as happy with the MM or the Agi. You'll be good with all of them, though I'm obviously a bit biased!:D Oh, and welcome to the Creek! Great place to hang out. Come often, stay long and we love pics!:) :cool:

Jim Young
12-23-2005, 9:17 PM
Do you have a link to the Aganzzi. My search engine can't find that saw.

DaveDo a search on Eagle Tools

David Millsaps
12-23-2005, 9:22 PM
I'm retiring after 21 years in the U.S. Navy and returning to my home in the mountains of North Carolina! I have 15 acres and a small house almost finished to stay in. I intend to start work on my Shop immediately. I'm building a 20 by 40 shop and then starting to work on my Big Log Cabin (Dream Home). So it will be a busy couple of years for me. It should be a great adventure and plenty of opportunities to use my tools. I'll try to show you guys the stages as they go.

Dave

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2005, 9:40 PM
Dave....keep us posted during your upcoming construction and............Thanks for your service to the US!

John Miliunas
12-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Dave, a great big DITTO to what Ken said!:) Thanks and best of luck to you!!!:) :cool:

John Bailey
12-24-2005, 12:49 AM
David,

Welcome to the "Creek." Also, thanks for your military service. Can't help much with the bandsaw purchase. I've been researching for about a year now and still can't make up my mind. I would say that most find the 16" a very good size for just about everything. The Laguna, MiniMax and Aganzani seem to be the best thought of, although, for a price. Understand, that opinion comes from a bunch of research and no practical experience. If you do a search, you'll find plenty of info.

Your "dream home" sounds great. Wish you the best of luck with that.

John

John Renzetti
12-24-2005, 7:45 AM
hi David, Congratulations on your upcoming retirement from the Navy. Thanks for your service.
Go for the HD16. It's a great bandsaw and besides you should treat yourself. You won't regret spending the extra money. Also see if Laguna will be coming to a show in your area in NC. You could pick it up at the show and save on the shipping.
take care,
John

Dan Larson
12-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Welcome Dave!

If you are seriously considering the 16HD, I might suggest that you also take a look at the LT18. This saw is only $200 more expensive. Although very simillar to the 16HD, you get bigger wheels (obviously), a bigger table, and greater resaw capacity.

Dan

Mark Singer
12-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Get at least the 16"...IMHO (I may hop over):rolleyes:

Mike Hollingsworth
12-24-2005, 11:04 AM
They are distributed by Eagle Tools in Los Angeles.
They are in the same league as Laguna and MiniMax.

I have the 16" Agazzani.
I was thrilled when I upgrade from a delta with a riser.
It has worked well for 5 years but I'm looking to upgrade.

But here's what I think about bandsaws:
HEAVY is very important.
This machine doesn't merely spin an arobor or spindle. It has to spin two wheels in perfect alignment. With no vibration.
A small unit just can't do the job.
Of course quality and precision is important, but I want pounds.

Mike H

Mark Singer
12-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I have the 20"Aggazani and really like it! At a recent trip to Sam Maloof we saw 3 Aggazani's including a 36" he got from Jesse at Eagle...It took 20 minutes for the thing to stop after it was turned off!