PDA

View Full Version : Question about Forrest sharpening service

Robert Engel
03-19-2020, 11:25 AM
I recently acquired a Forrest dado set and WWII and thought I might send them off to Forrest for sharpening.

They are in semi rough condition and I thought if any repair are needed better for Forrest to do them.

I use a local sharpening service that has always done a good job for me, but after looking at the pic of "us" vs. "them" I'm wondering if Forrest is that much better I should bypass my local service?

Matt Day
03-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Neither, send them out to a specialty sharpener like Dynamic Saw. Cheaper than Forrest and same quality.

ChrisA Edwards
03-19-2020, 11:34 AM
I mailed my WWII back to Forrest last year for sharpening. Blade came back looking like new.

Took about 10 days total time, from me shipping it to putting it back on my saw.

I'd do it again.

John Menard
03-19-2020, 11:45 AM
+1 for Dynamic Saw. I sent my WWII to them and got it back with quickly, with great results, and at an affordable price.

Erik Loza
03-19-2020, 12:27 PM
I've heard "Dynamic" tossed around before and a few others that escape me. There is one outfit here in Central TX that all my shops seem to use. Forrest is surely fine as well. I think you can either sharpen a blade or you can't. If that's their main business channel, it's probably fine.

Erik

Jim Becker
03-19-2020, 12:28 PM
I've always been pleased with Forrest's sharpening service over the years, so they are certainly worthy of consideration. There are, of course, other very good sharpening services as has already been noted.

Andrew Hughes
03-19-2020, 12:33 PM
I send my Forrest blades back to Forrest. I had one come back with lots of broken teeth due to rough Ups handling. They send a new blade and a shipping label for the damaged one.
Good Luck

Harry Niemann
03-19-2020, 12:34 PM
Had my WWII sharpened by Forrest recently, came back with runout. They said they don't check for this, wanted me to send it back for extra cost repair.

Frederick Skelly
03-19-2020, 12:51 PM
I've always been pleased with Forrest's sharpening service over the years, so they are certainly worthy of consideration. There are, of course, other very good sharpening services as has already been noted.

+1. Agree with Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
03-19-2020, 1:20 PM
Forrest's sharpening is OVER, as in over rated, and over priced. Forrest is a sharpening company who sell blades to generate business, IMHO Burned once by Forrest, but never a second time.

Richard Coers
03-19-2020, 3:21 PM
I'm a huge fan of Forrest sharpening. I had a Freud stack dado set ruined by a local service. Chippers came back all different diameters so I got a sawtooth bottom surface.

Ben Rivel
03-19-2020, 3:58 PM
What kind of a price difference are we talkin for companies other than Forrest? Whats the price to have Dynamic sharpen and how much is Forrest charging these days? I want to know some actual numbers.

Bryan Sevier
03-19-2020, 4:37 PM
+1 on Dynamic - great results and service

John Lanciani
03-19-2020, 4:51 PM
What kind of a price difference are we talkin for companies other than Forrest? Whats the price to have Dynamic sharpen and how much is Forrest charging these days? I want to know some actual numbers.

https://www.forrestblades.com/forrest-factory-carbide-saw-blade-sharpening/

http://dynamicsaw.com/sawblades.html

Is your google broken? Dynamic is less than half the cost. 10” 40t at Dynamic is $9.50, same at Forrest is $25.

Ron Magliocco
03-19-2020, 5:30 PM
Connecticut Saw and Tool. Excellent, fast, and fair priced.

Michael Drew
03-19-2020, 5:42 PM
How is Ridge Carbide? I have several in a box ready to go to RC, only because I bought a blade from them recently and figured I'd try their sharpening service. The 48T blade I bought from this is as good, maybe better than my 48T Forest blade.

David Eisenhauer
03-19-2020, 8:48 PM
I have had a WWII sharpened by Forrest and lots of other full-kerf, carbide 10" blades sharpened many times by Ballew Saw and Tool. I cannot tell the difference between the Forrest and BST sharpenings (all perfectly fine) but can say that the BST service was cheaper.

Christopher Herzog
03-19-2020, 10:18 PM
I have used Forrest as well. My next time will be with them as well. Great product and I am glad to support their company. They have provided me with quality blades and I appreciate how it makes my projects look.

Erik Loza
03-20-2020, 11:58 AM
How is Ridge Carbide? I have several in a box ready to go to RC, only because I bought a blade from them recently and figured I'd try their sharpening service. The 48T blade I bought from this is as good, maybe better than my 48T Forest blade.

No experience with their sharpening service but they're been first-rate in everything else when I've dealt with them.

Erik

Matt Day
03-20-2020, 12:08 PM
https://www.forrestblades.com/forrest-factory-carbide-saw-blade-sharpening/

http://dynamicsaw.com/sawblades.html

Is your google broken? Dynamic is less than half the cost. 10” 40t at Dynamic is $9.50, same at Forrest is $25.

Seriously people, all that info is on the web or a phone call away. Thanks for posting it though John.

Justin Rapp
03-20-2020, 12:49 PM
I had used my a local service that is 5 minutes from me and my WWII came back good but never as good as it was when new, but i'd say 90%. Also price was very good, I think about $18. This time I tried using Forrest service and the blade came back like new, however with shipping cost more than twice over the local service, I think so for the amount of time I need to sharpen my blade. BTW - it took almost 2 weeks to get the blade back, and shipping is fast since they are about 60 miles from me. I have two WWII blades, so the downtime is not an issue.

Frank Drackman
03-20-2020, 1:26 PM
I have used Ridge Carbide for over twenty years & think that they do an outstanding job.

Michael Drew
03-21-2020, 11:33 AM
No experience with their sharpening service but they're been first-rate in everything else when I've dealt with them.

Erik

I have used Ridge Carbide for over twenty years & think that they do an outstanding job.

Thanks for the response!

Bruce Wrenn
03-21-2020, 4:33 PM

If memory serves me correct (and it may not) owner of Ridge used to work for Forrest.

les winter
03-23-2020, 8:07 AM
Ridge is simply excellent.