PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Board Plane

JohnM Martin
03-18-2020, 4:32 PM
I'm in the market for a dedicated shooting board plane. Thus far, I have been using my LN 5 1/2 and it works great on thinner stock, but I have started shooting enough that I would like a dedicated plane. For those with experience, would you recommend the Veritas with the track or the LN + build your own track. Clearly, the Veritas is a cheaper option... you can get the board and the plane for around the same price as the LN. Which is the better way to go?

Tom M King
03-18-2020, 4:36 PM
I have the LV one, and wouldn't want another one, other than the left handed version in addition. There's nothing to making the boards. I built a whole stack of them in one session. Some I haven't even put fences on yet. I'm sure the track is nice, but I haven't seen a need for a commercial one yet.

bill epstein
03-18-2020, 7:02 PM
I'm in the market for a dedicated shooting board plane. Thus far, I have been using my LN 5 1/2 and it works great on thinner stock, but I have started shooting enough that I would like a dedicated plane. For those with experience, would you recommend the Veritas with the track or the LN + build your own track. Clearly, the Veritas is a cheaper option... you can get the board and the plane for around the same price as the LN. Which is the better way to go?

I wouldn't buy without trying one on for size. I regard my Wood River 5 1/2 as a gift from the Planing Gods but it's darn uncomfortable to hold for more than a few passes on the shooting board.

Prashun Patel
03-18-2020, 7:13 PM
I have the Veritas and love it. So much that it unfortunately discouraged me from really really training myself to cut square.

I have the track. It’s a nice to have, not need to have.

steven c newman
03-18-2020, 7:32 PM
Look into the Stanley No. 51/52....

Derek Cohen
03-18-2020, 7:42 PM
Martin

Both will do the job very well. The Veritas, with its low bed angle, will do it better on end grain.

I own both planes, and ran a comparison here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/LVShootingPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Frederick Skelly
03-18-2020, 7:57 PM
Derek Cohen has an article comparing a couple that may help you. [Edit: Deleted link because Derek beat me to the punch. :) ]

With that said, I tried everything and could not get a comfortable grip - Stanley 606 with hotdog handle, LV Low Angle Jack with hotdog handle, etc. I debated buying the LV Shooting Plane both here and in my head for a year. I finally bought one on a Cyber Monday sale. That shooter has become one of my best-loved tools, slotting-in right behind my beloved MF9 Smoother. I could (and did) live without the Shooter. But I'm VERY glad I have one now. I use mine on a homemade board - haven't yet convinced myself I need the track.

But from what I've read, you cant go wrong with a Stanley 51/52. You certainly cant go wrong with the LN version.

Christopher Charles
03-19-2020, 12:58 AM
I have the LV and is also one of my favorite planes. I built a board based on one used by David Baron shown on YT, which runs parallel to the bench and it works great.

glenn bradley
03-19-2020, 1:13 AM
Love my Veritas and was gifted the track.

Used the Veritas LAJ and a shop made board before that but, put a hot dog on it.

Bob Jones 5443
03-19-2020, 1:51 AM
I just saw a couple of Stanley No 51/52s on the auction site for between $1,200 and $1,700. Makes the L-N look economical.

I don't think I'll ever see the need to move beyond my Stanley No. 5-1/2 and plywood board. Anything thicker than about an inch can be "shot" in a vise or on the jointer, no? Derek, what am I missing?

Jim Koepke
03-19-2020, 2:02 AM
John,

This is just my opinion based on my experience. My right shoulder is messed up due to an old injury. Using a Stanley/Bailey bench plane was very uncomfortable after a few piece on the shooting board. At the time LN & LV weren't making shooting planes so my choice was the LN #62 low angle jack plane with a hot dog.

Recently at an LN Tool Event their shooting plane was tried. It was much nicer than the #62. After doing some research and finding the Veritas has a lower effective angle, my choice will be one of theirs, most likely a left handed version.

jtk

Rob Luter
03-19-2020, 5:10 AM
I used a low angle jack for a number of years, and finally made the move to the Veritas Shooting plane with a shop made shooting board. It works very well.

Jim Matthews
03-19-2020, 7:15 AM
I like Terry Gordon's high angle planes for this - to buck the trend. His long jointer plane is particularly nice for the task, if you've sufficient bench clearance.

Because the plane is so long, it always has positive registry against the shooting board fixture.

They're also beefy, and that extra mass makes steady slow cutting possible.

Tico Vogt's design (which was basically at my cost for materials and perfect, out of the box) let's me engage my own considerable mass behind the cut.

https://ticovogt.com/?page_id=1605

https://hntgordon.com.au/products/jointer-plane

https://youtu.be/Sw_scdtQoFE

Jim Koepke
03-19-2020, 10:27 AM
His long jointer plane is particularly nice for the task, if you've sufficient bench clearance.

My guess is you have some strong arms and a young shoulder.

The lower the angle on a shooting plane, for me at least, the less work effort and less shoulder pain.

jtk

Phil Mueller
03-19-2020, 10:38 AM
Another very satisfied LV shooting plane customer here, with shop made board.

Prashun Patel
03-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Three things that make the shooting plane (at least the Veritas) nicer than the jack I was previously using:

1) Skewed blade makes the cut with less effort.
2) The adjustable handle turns to 45 deg and other positions to allow you to provide the appropriate amount of pressure both down and laterally with minimal effort.
3) The mass powers through the cut.

These make t he plane less fatiguing to use.

4) The Veritas - like most of its other low angle offerings, has lateral set screws. These make removing and resetting the blade, square, easy. You can basically stop mid-shoot, sharpen, and come back without having to dial in again.

I have not yet felt that the Veritas shooting plane is a sacrifice in any of its features.

Bill McNiel
03-19-2020, 1:05 PM
Three things that make the shooting plane (at least the Veritas) nicer than the jack I was previously using:

2) The adjustable handle turns to 45 deg and other positions to allow you to provide the appropriate amount of pressure both down and laterally with minimal effort.

4) The Veritas - like most of its other low angle offerings, has lateral set screws. These make removing and resetting the blade, square, easy. You can basically stop mid-shoot, sharpen, and come back without having to dial in again.

I have not yet felt that the Veritas shooting plane is a sacrifice in any of its features.

Prashun nailed it (not an unusual occurrence).

James Waldron
03-26-2020, 10:25 PM
I've happily and accurately used a Record T-5 for many years. Comfortable to use, handle reversible for left- or right-hand use, enough weight to make easy work. Nice choice if you can find one in useful condition.

http://www.record-planes.com/record-no-t5-technical-jack-plane/

I've made my own boards. The last couple have had the chute faced with UHMW sheet with pressure sensitive adhesive. Easy glide is very nice.

Stewie Simpson
03-26-2020, 10:45 PM
I chose to make my own BD shooting board planes.

https://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/Left%20hand%20shooting%20plane/_DSC0263_zpstdxge12f.jpg (https://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/Left%20hand%20shooting%20plane/_DSC0263_zpstdxge12f.jpg.html)

Frederick Skelly
03-27-2020, 6:14 AM
Some of us always drool when you post pictures of the planes you make Stewie!
Isn't it time for you to do another build thread? :)

David Silverson
03-27-2020, 10:20 AM
Yes Stewie it is about time, please.

Derek Cohen
03-27-2020, 10:26 AM

Good points, Prashun.

I wrote a comparison in 2011 of the LN #51, the LN #9 (now discontinued), and the Veritas LA Jack (the Veritas Shooting Plane was not yet out). Not unsurprisingly, the LN #51 was head-and-shoulders above the others, partly because of its greater mass, but what was a surprise was that the low angled LA Jack outpointed the higher angled LN #9 ... the provisor was when users were taught how to hold and use it correctly, since the #9 is inherently a more stable plane otherwise.

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ShootingPlanesCompared.html

I have a rather large choice of planes to use as a shooter. If all I had was the Veritas LA Jack, it would not be dissatisfactory. That was my option for many years.

Remember, flat shooting boards for skew-bladed planes, and ramped boards for straight-bladed planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek